Iowa Taxidermists...please help!

Submitted by Mark Freshour on 03/04/2004 at 01:39. ( majofreshour@juno.com ) 67.233.31.73

I am a taxidermist in Michigan and starting from scratch to find out what units in Iowa are best to apply for this coming Whitetail season. I have been told that all of the Eastern units are good and my partner and I are just trying to get some input if possible. We know that we most likely would not get drawn to bowhunt this year, but would like to apply anyway and get a head start along with getting preference points. One of my customers shot a 181 gross typical in section 7 this last season and that being his 5th hunt there, he only has good to say about the bowhunting. Thanks for any help you could send our way.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Mark do you realize that....

This response submitted by marty on 03/04/2004 at 08:50. ( ) 67.173.51.16

...tags in Iowa are EXPENSIVE! I believe (as a Non-Resident) it's going to run you $308 to bow hunt Whitetails in Iowa.

Don't know how hard it is for a NR to draw a Bow Tag. But, getting a NR Gun tag was pretty tough in some areas. At least I know it was in past years.

Just wanted to toss that out there if you didn't know that they raised their NR hunting license fees and tag fees...

Just to answer your question...

This response submitted by Griz on 03/04/2004 at 11:55. ( ) 69.66.85.114

I live in Tama County pretty well dead center. Of the central counties we are one of the best, but we suck compared to the bottom row. If you want to see lots of deer go to the southeast corner like van buren county. I don't know if they have alot of public ground but what they do have is hunted hard, like anywhere you usually need an inside track on private ground, or do alot of "homework" to get some. But there are ALOT of deer down there and quite a bit of timber. As for monsters you can barely cross the border at dubuque and that is where they stay. It is extremely hard to hunt and fairly dangerous, because it is the mississippi river bluffs. That is why they are monsters there cause it is so hard to hunt and thick and deep in places. It takes time and knowledge to hunt that. I think there are two counties up there that produce well and i am pretty sure one of them is allamakee.

CAUTION: nothing useful from here on out, I am just venting.

Personally I am very greedy of our hunting and wish that no outsiders would come here. But that is a little bitterness from being a landowner and having big hotshot lawyers and doctors from new york just frollick over my land shooting my phesants without a bit of permission then lie through their teeth when you catch em. In that regard i wish no outsiders wouuld come here. Either that or charge the disrespectful, self-righteous, i-have-a-right-to-hunt-your-land, rich, snobby, pieces of [feces] out their [gluteus maxim]asses to hunt here. Not that I as a landowner will ever see any of that money.

Anyways if you do hunt private land don't just show up every november first with your bow and EXPECT to hunt, then forget them til next year. You are harvesting a commodity when you hunt private land and the farmers don't see none of your money so at least show your gratitude and send a christmas card or something.

I imagine the southern counties farmers are the same way with their deer hunting as i am with my phesant hunting.

By the cost of the tags Griz...

This response submitted by marty on 03/04/2004 at 16:04. ( ) 67.173.51.16

And the limited number sold, I'd have to say that most Iowa residents and your DNR agrees with you (as far as not wanting non-res's hunting your deer).

I pheasant hunt in Iowa every year. My buddy has 300 acres in the CRP program just outside of Williamsburg. And, we get into altercations with these non-res's that trounce on his land almost every year. I don't understand WHY my buddy DOESN'T bust them!

Anyways, they're arrogant mother's to say the least. Cussing at US when we catch them! And, I'm ashamed to say that they are from Illinois...

Too funny

This response submitted by Wally on 03/04/2004 at 17:14. ( wpttaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 216.70.5.34

To Funny
I feel the same way when I see a boatload of Tourist with 10" walleyes and every other fish they can cram into the livewell .I also like it when ya see a Tourist driveing on a 4wheeler and shooting grouse from it..I dig takeing out my complaint book and offering my time in court.... Ya know where most are from Iowa and Illinois..Humm sounds like a few of your neighbors are spreading show of respect.... Actually around Corning landowners/farmers Bithc about the deer problems and ask ya to help out..

iowan hunter

This response submitted by mike on 03/04/2004 at 19:36. ( ) 207.28.66.9

Be prepared to apply again next year or the year after. Its taking longer to draw a tag. Mostly be prepared to pay a leasing fee.I think the deadline is in June. North east or southern 1/3 are probally the best. But I'm greedy too, in 5 to 10 years if you don't own land you'll being paying for it. Then the DNR says the deer are over populated. Lets say you lease 100 acres for $1000 pay $308 for a tag are you going to shoot a doe? Hell no Niether will anyone else because of the lease. I know alot of guys who lost hunting land because of leasing then they DNR wonder why resident hunting is down.Go to Iowa Department Natural Resorces web site it can help you out Good luck Please don't lease my hunting grounds.

if you go to iowa, i can get you access on private ground

This response submitted by J & J Furs on 03/07/2004 at 23:47. ( jjfurs@hotmail.com ) 12.14.227.211

in decatur county, lots of big bucks seen and killed last year and i have one buck, that if the hunter paid the landowner enough, the hunter would have a great shot at him, he lives in a small ditch and the landowner doesn't allow hunting, but i have trapped his land the last four years and watched this buck mature even better every year.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu