Good read - " The Passion "

Submitted by b bishop on 03/02/2004 at 09:45. ( ) 65.73.67.243

This is not too long , even Cecil can get through it ! LOL

God Gets a Second Act in Tinsel Town
Brendan Miniter
Wall Street Journal
3/2/04

Mel Gibson says his new movie, "The Passion of the Christ," is a story about love. For months critics have said otherwise--that it's gratuitously violent with anti-Semitic undertones, or that it risks sparking violence against Jews.

Now millions of Americans are judging for themselves. What they are figuring out is that the controversy surrounding this film says more about those who would have kept it off the silver screen than about the film itself. This is a powerful, important film that lays down a cultural marker at a time when the nation is facing its own struggle of overcoming evil without compromising its moral character. It's the right movie at the right time for America.

The critics are right about one thing: "The Passion" is a violent film. But it's not gratuitously violent. The story is about suffering and therefore had to convey the pain Jesus endured. Roman soldiers chastised Jesus with sticks and metal-tipped whips that tore his flesh away. They then forced him to carry a heavy wooden cross through the streets before being crucified. They pounded nails through his hands and feet before hoisting his body into the air. Scholars tell us that some men could survive hanging from a cross for a week. But the trauma from his whole ordeal may have killed Jesus within six hours. Not showing the severity of that beating would have diminished the struggle Jesus had to endure and deprived viewers of a real sense of his sacrifice.

The brutality is hard to watch, but it is also essential to the story, and I offers an important lesson. Suffering is central to the human condition, something that all of us must learn to handle. Some clearly suffer much worse than others, of course, but everyone has a cross to bear. From serious disease to things not going well at work or at home, life is often difficult if not downright painful. How we endure these trials is a testament to our moral character. What Jesus had to endure is more than could be expected of any person. Yet looking down from the cross, Jesus forgave his tormentors even while still hanging in agony

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I don't know Brad

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/02/2004 at 11:21. ( ) 63.115.128.205

as soon as I saw who posted this I stopped reading. LOL

Enough Allready

This response submitted by Steve on 03/02/2004 at 11:23. ( ) 209.122.229.21

Yes...this film is made by and for religious christians. Its doing great at the box office and mel gibson had every right to make it and everyone has the right to see it. Well, the rest of us are sick and tired of it allready. I dont belive in jesus, and I wouldnt see this film if ya paid me. Can we please drop the subject allready. And please do not try to preach to me. There is nothing you can say to sway me on the jesus thing. Actually it makes me like it even less when people try to do that. I have my beliefs and you have yours ,and they should stay that way. Now..back to taxidermy.

Isn't it

This response submitted by Mark H on 03/02/2004 at 11:32. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.47

nice to know that Jesus still believes in you Steve? It's not for me to change your mind, He sees your heart and will take it from there.

Steve, do you have a right to tell us what we can and

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/02/2004 at 11:34. ( ) 63.115.128.205

cannot post?

Isn't it a little arrogant to tell folks to stop posting a particular subject just because you are not interested, the site is free, and you are not the moderator?

Just wondering?

Steven

This response submitted by b bishop on 03/02/2004 at 13:04. ( ) 65.73.67.144

Why do I get the feeling that you worship your mounts ? TAXIDERMY IS LIFE IS TAXIDERMY just goes to show you " all the monkeys ain't in the zoo !
I will post whatever I feel like posting and you are welcome to do the same. I try to post things I think the intelligent folks on here with intrests other than TAXIDERMY IS LIFE attitude might like to read . If it bothers you , that makes me smile !

Atheist, seperation of church and state.

This response submitted by John C on 03/02/2004 at 13:14. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Oh Steve did we hurt your feelings, we crossed the line, you are a minority, what you wish ain't going to happen. You have the right not to believe, thats fine blah blah blah.

The same amendment that gives you the right to bitch about the Passion, gives us the right to talk about the Passion.

You dont have to open the post about it pass on it, go about your merry way.

Its not seperation of church from state.

No atheists in the foxholes!

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/02/2004 at 13:36. ( ) 63.115.128.205

My father who has been in combat tells me when the mortars start coming in and the bullets start flying the atheists suddenly find God. He says it works every time. LOL

Sadly

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/02/2004 at 15:37. ( ) 66.82.9.65

Sadly, my Dad felt the opposite way when he went to Viet Nam. He had inspirations of becoming a minister, but after seeing the carnage, lost his faith. Said he couldn't believe God would allow such suffering.

He has grown into a well-respected "pillar of the community" over the years, even starting the largest air-ambulance (copter) company in the Nation, to save lives, especially in rural areas.

When he revealed that to us, I didn't know what to say. Anyone out there have a good explanation/theory I could pass on to him? I hate to see him have lost his faith.

Atheist and evolution...

This response submitted by Griz on 03/02/2004 at 16:54. ( ) 69.66.87.196

Atheism and evolutionism is a form of religion. Yet that gets forced on countless naive children in schools all over the country. If you want to take God out of schools take out evolution- it is getting taught as fact when it is nothing more than mere theory, and a crapy one at that.

Vickie

This response submitted by skullery....Jeff on 03/02/2004 at 19:45. ( ) 209.206.144.30

I am sorry for what your dad had to go through. I was not in Viet Nam so i can only say this . What your dad saw there was a result of what life is like without God. He saw what Satan can do to a world without knowing God. Ever wonder why when things go bad why God gets the blame? And when things go seemingly good it is good luck or we do not have anything to do with God. Thats what has been happening slowly to America. As things change for the worse here in America we blame God or we blame Christians (such as Mel Gibson) for our problems, when the real problem is in our heart. If we ,should i say Christ, changes our heart we will see changes on the outside. The opposite is not true. Changes around us will not change our heart, only you can do that yourself as you yield to God. In other words if every one knew Christ as their Savior , we would truly love one another and be looking out for each others best interest. There would not be war today. I know this is not going to happen because Satan is the prince and power of the air of the this world. This is our testing ground to see what are we going to do about Jesus? The good news is that Satan's days are numbered, good news if you know Christ. Why do you think the movie The Passion is under so much attack. NO surprise at all, Satan does not want anyone to see it and turn to Jesus so he is doing all he can to stop us from seeing it and giving it bad press.

Vickie, it's a complex story

This response submitted by George on 03/02/2004 at 21:40. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.208

I can empathethize well with your dad on all fronts. Though I sounds as if he were a "Dust Off" and I never saw the carnage he must have, I know how the total experience saturates you until you "shut down" some portions of your soul just to survive. He uses the term "lost his faith" because there's no other way to explain it. I suspect he still has the abiding faith of his Creator in him or he would not have become the "pillar of his community". My denomination believes that God judges us by the character of your hearts and not by outward appearances. You dad only needs your love. You don't need to understand his relationship with God, but only need to be thankful that God lives in you because of your father's love for you. Sometimes parents protect their children by keeping sadness in their hearts. I'm guessing you dad is satisfied that by holding it there, he can spare you and insure your happiness. Thank him for me for all he did...then and now.

Thanks, guys

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/04/2004 at 20:01. ( ) 66.82.9.41

I know there is no easy answer to his quandry. I'll be sure to thank him, George. Life is tough sometimes, and we just have to be tougher. I agree...I believe God knows Dad's heart and maybe someday will be able to explain it all to him.

I am sooo anxious to see the Passion. I'm just waiting for the lines to die down. Not enough theaters in our area!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu