Go ahead and laugh!

Submitted by migda's taxidermy on 03/02/2004 at 18:55. ( ljmigda@hotmail.com ) 208.252.179.30

Thankfully the smart one {at least in regards to computers} in my marriage is my wife. She doesn't even let me open e-mails unless she's here because of all the virus's. What im asking may sound dumb...but here goes. Exactly what is the reason for others to send e-mails containing virus's anyway? Being fairly new to computers {one year} im obviously somewhat behind the times in that regard. Is this whole thing a form of terroism in itself or what? Anyway i've always wanted to know but never asked.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Depends on the virus

This response submitted by Raven on 03/02/2004 at 19:09. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Some viruses are 'trojans' or 'backdoors' and allow outside users full acces to your computer and all the files on it - including any personal information you have. If you do online banking they can get the stored info off of your hard drive etc. There are other viruses that just delete parts of your programs so they do not work properly thus inconveniencing you. Others may do nothing more than access your adress book and send the same message to everyone in that book.. then those people get infected etc. Some hackers just like to see the chain reaction and see how many computers their virus is granted access to.

Some viruses are brutal and can delete your entire hard drive.. others do nothing more than make your clock always run 2 minutes slow...

Just to be malicious!

This response submitted by 458okie on 03/02/2004 at 19:17. ( ) 152.163.252.167

Some folks get their kicks out of being malicious, plain and simple! These idiots have no conscience in regards to others. They need to meet Jesus, or get a boot in the rear (or take a trip with me to the woodshed for a good ol' fashioned strapping)!

Viruses get into your computer and cause problems such as improper functioning of software and sometimes can cause your computer not to turn on at all. In worst cases, they can clean out your drives of data or simply cause annoyances. Those little packets of software known as viruses can be spread by email or lay dormant for a predetermined amount of time before rearing their ugly little heads.

We use Norton Antivirus and keep it up to date on virus definitions to protect our PC.

McAfee is also a good, reputable antivirus software.

The key is not to open an email from a sender you do not know or trust.

Hope this helps!

I like Norton too...

This response submitted by marty on 03/03/2004 at 11:08. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Probably becuase I'm familiar with it. McAfee came with my replacement Dell - a 90 day trial version and I didn't like it. So I decided to purchase Norton again. Problem was I couldn't fully uninstall McAfee. Following their instructions on their website I thoroughly jazzed up my computer and had to reinstall my whole OS!

So, I have a bit of a beef with McAfee as their instructions had me altering some registry keys. Word of caution DON'T MESS WITH YOUR REGISTRY KEYS!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu