Nice fish Cecil

Submitted by Hogger on 03/05/2004 at 04:08. ( ) 4.7.209.237

Was browsing fish tax websites and found yours. Pretty cool. Not too shabby for a lib! LOL!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Thanks

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/05/2004 at 06:10. ( ) 63.115.128.231

Only two on the taxidermy work page are competition fish.

Hey Cecil

This response submitted by Ed on 03/05/2004 at 09:55. ( ) 216.135.2.29

I too have visted your website and admire your fish work. While looking at some of the pond pictures it reminded me of a question I was asked about trout stocking. My father in law has several pits left from his property being coal mined. They are roughly 1-3 acres in size with plenty of watershed. My question is is it necessary to have constant running water such as a spring etc. for trout to live in a pond. Thankyou.

Cecil

This response submitted by Mark H on 03/05/2004 at 10:11. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.205.42

What's your addy? I'd love to see some of your work.

Ed, no running water necessary for trout to live in a pond.

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/05/2004 at 10:29. ( ) 63.115.128.231

Trout do just fine in static water as long as there is sufficient dissolved oxygen and the temps stay cool enough i.e. the Great Lakes. In fact, if conditions are right trout will grow faster and weigh more in static water.

If the pits have water throughout the summer in the depths that stays below 70 F. (optimum is 55 to 65 F.) and keep a minimum of 5 ppm dissolved oxygen through summer down there, they will hold trout through the year. Best time to check conditions is in September with a D.O./temp probe -- when if oxygen gets depleted -- that is when it will happen. September is the most critical month for holdover.

Keep in mind although spring water is cold, it typically contains no dissolved oxygen when it first comes out of the ground. So just because there are springs does not mean conditions are optimum.

The pits will stratify in summer with a cold layer deeper down that the trout will habituate if there is enough dissolved oxygen. If this layer gets depleted of oxygen the trout will come up for more oxygen, and will expire due to the warmer temps that are lethal and are not capable of holding enough dissolved oxygen.

You may want to confer with a biologist with your department of natural resources, and he should be familar with conditions in your area. You can always plant some trout and see if they survive. They are not that expensive when they are smaller, but I would plant them large enough to escape predation if the pond already had predator fish.

You can also plant trout in the fall when temps are below 70 and fish them out by the following spring. They can grow several inches in Kentucky during the winter. Some folks are raising them in floating cages down there.

Addy is listed under Suppliers then Specimens and Antlers

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/05/2004 at 10:32. ( ) 63.115.128.231

http://www.ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

A search typing in the words Baird Taxidermy will also take you to it.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu