Anyone ever hunt Oryx in New Mexico?

Submitted by JEM on 03/05/2004 at 14:38. ( ) 64.179.71.115

My kid and I just drew tags for an Oryx hunt Feb. 12 & 13th 2005 in New Mexico for the Rhodes Canyon hunt. Does anyone have any advice or contacts that might help us to get prepared?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

White Sands Missle range.

This response submitted by John C on 03/05/2004 at 15:22. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Contact the New Mexico Dept of wildlife see the links above right.

got one last year

This response submitted by mike on 03/05/2004 at 15:48. ( ) 216.135.67.199

I have a very good client that hunted last year with his son each got very nice ones. If you need it I can get their guides name. e.mail me info@mikescustomtaxidermy.com

Yes, got one 2 yrs ago

This response submitted by Shann on 03/06/2004 at 00:14. ( ) 143.183.121.1

They will give a map of the area the night before. I still have my map, not sure if it is the Rhodes Canyon Area? They have about a 90% + success rate. If you need someone to go along or help I'm available since I didn't get drawn this year. Email me if your interested in the maps. All I ask is for you to pay for postage. davistaxidermy@hotmail.com

Got a Huge one

This response submitted by Patrick on 03/06/2004 at 00:29. ( ) 65.247.159.97

Yes I can give you a exellent place to go first thing in the morning. Unfortunetly i didnt draw for the youth only this year but hopefully next year, i drew last year for the december rhodes canyon. Give me a call at 505-714-3966 and i will give you directions on where the good sized ones are

Two Big Oryx Bagged In Rhodes Canyon, Dec. 2003

This response submitted by Ted Simmons on 03/30/2004 at 21:23. ( tedsimmons@cybermesa.com ) 65.19.43.205

My hunting partner an I both bagged big females in the December 27-29 Rhodes Canyon hunt in '03. I still have my range hunting map. Contact me and I'll send a copy. Oryx were everywhere in large numbers but spooky from heavy hunting pressure. Expect to fire from 200-400yds, though closer shots are possible. Hot spots: 1) the western tip of the Malpais along route 9 (water is nearby), 2) north of route 316 just west of route 9 (a dry lake bed with much feed), 3) the mound springs area west of route 9, north of the Malpais and south of route 8 (several permanent springs the really draw the herds), 4) brushy arroyo bottoms (provides cover), and 5) the earthen observation mounds all over the canyon bottom where you can drive up a glass for (and perhaps shoot) oryx.

Oryx are MEAN and hard to kill. They will attack people in vehicles if pushed and will wait and attack hunters if mortally wounded. Shoot them between the front shoulder blades or watch them run for miles. A flat shooting, large bore magnum is ideal. A few years ago I killed a half-grown one with .375 H&H and it took TWO rounds in the vitals to put it down and keep it down. It wasn't too much gun. I took mine in December with a 300 Wby. It's range was perfect and just enough power. I took one in Africa with a 30-06. It took five rounds in the vitals to put it down and wasn't pretty. Take plenty of gun. Take two helpers to lift the beast onto your truck because oryx are heavy.

Game wardens are everywhere strctly enforcing the rules. Beware!

Bred for toughness

This response submitted by Alan Dean Foster on 04/02/2004 at 11:06. ( adf@alandeanfoster.com ) 216.19.25.137

Bear in mind that these critters evolved to handle the Khalahari and Namib deserts and defend themselves against lions. Also, aside from the trophy, the meat is superb!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu