Eastern Cougar Conference, April 28-May 1, Morgantown, WV

Submitted by Helen McGinnis on 03/05/2004 at 16:51. ( helenmcginnis@meer.net ) 216.206.137.143

The program for the EASTERN COUGAR CONFERENCE 2004 is quickly taking shape and promises a diverse array of exciting and meaningful presentations and posters. If you haven't registered for this landmark international symposium, you will want to do so as soon as possible. Register before March 31st and avoid the $25 late fee! We recommend making your hotel or campground reservations soon to assure you have a place to stay.

The conference will take place in Morgantown, West Virginia and will run from the evening of Wednesday, April 28th to Saturday May 1st. . Award-winning author Chris Bolgiano will give the Keynote Address. A highlight will be the scheduled talk by David Baron, author of The Beast in the Garden, an informed and sensitive analysis of the events in Boulder, Colorado, that led to the death of a young jogger in 1991. Sessions will include regional updates (including a report from the United Kingdom), research techniques, human dimensions, and lessons to be learned from recovery efforts involving other large predators. Each session will be followed by a panel discussion. A tracking workshop and tour of the Coopers Rock Mountain Lion Sanctuary are scheduled for Saturday.

For complete information, visit the Eastern Cougar Foundation's web site, www.easterncougar.org and click on the lower left corner of the Home Page. There you will find a registration form, schedule of events (subject to last minute changes), and lists of hotels, motels and campgrounds.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I wasn't aware there were any cougars in the east

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/06/2004 at 10:01. ( ) 63.115.128.216

although there are alleged sightings, none have been varified that I know of, unless they are domestic escapes. Am I wrong?

Here is one for ya Cecil

This response submitted by Tenbears on 03/06/2004 at 12:56. ( ) 152.163.252.165

For three years sightings of cougar were reported in the Allegheny Mountains Bordering Virginia, and West Virginia. Although these sightings remained unverified by the DNR in both states. In October of 2003 A large female Mountain lion was killed in a vehicle collision. Examination of the carcass revealed the cat was a nursing female. If the cat was the one that had been sighted over the past three years. There apparently are two. one surely a male. Although I did not see the cat. A fellow taxidermist in Virginia. Claims to have mounted it for the DNR.
Just a tidbit to consider.
Anyway I think this is in regard to the Florida Cougar

They have been sighting cougars in.......

This response submitted by Coyote on 03/06/2004 at 15:35. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.14.156.33

Michigan for the last 4 or 5 years. I have personally seen tracks up in northern Michigan and in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Coyote

cougar

This response submitted by Tony on 03/06/2004 at 19:57. ( birdman27 ) 208.159.223.87

I had a customer, bring me a yote in the shop. he said him and 7 others that work for him sees them on ocation! he said the last time they saw them, they were all together! He said one cat was dark brown with a tail as long as the body. He said the next one he saw was a reg. color of a mountain lion, and has seen a couple panthers!
This is the same area where they turned the elk loose in eastern Ky! He said they talked to fish and game and they said he was seeing things! The guy is a forman on a strip job, for a coal company. He tells me now he has his deer rifel, and he is going to prove there are mnt. lions in KY.
He may get one, but I wonder what fish and game will do?

I know there was panthers here by the old timers stories! My dad even killed one that was tearing up his coon dogs in the early 1970's I was just a baby then. He left it lay because he thought they were protected. He told me he had never been so scared in his life, all he had was a lantern and a .22
I think they are here in rural areas, I saw a cat track that was a little wider than my palm of my hand, in a creek, trapping, but never passed through there again!
No proof of any of this though!
Just ranting
Tony J.

I forgot about the Florida panthers Ten Bears

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/06/2004 at 23:18. ( ) 63.115.128.216

I have a strict rule in life though. If I didn't see it with my own eyes it's questionable. There's a local lake that supposed to produce 18 inch yellow perch too. Funny thing no one can produce them when you want to see them, and no taxidermists are taking any in that size.

Sad but true here in Indiana we once had bears, bison, elk, and cougars a a few hundred years ago. And we had old growth forest in many parts of the state. All gone now.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu