freeze dryers

Submitted by Mike on 03/08/2004 at 16:33. ( ) 198.77.40.101

Does any have info on buying or building a freeze dryer? We want to start freeze drying our own turkey heads and maybe small animals and
birds. Any info would be helpful. Does any one know how to get in
touch with D. Newcomb of Virginia? This person is a taxidermist that has plans for a freeze dryer

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Two for sale

This response submitted by lance on 03/08/2004 at 17:45. ( lnewosme@magpage.com ) 216.107.32.50

I can help you with that. I jhave four and one I built. I can tell you it will cost you, at least it cost me, about $4000 to built one. I can give you info on that. I also have tweo for sale, make me a reasonable offer. They are North star 3366's. Big units. Onre in great condition othe other needs about 500 dollars in work. 8566782464

sorry

This response submitted by lance on 03/08/2004 at 17:46. ( lnewsome@magpage.com ) 216.107.32.50

typing to fast, spelled my email wrong

Last info I have

This response submitted by John on 03/13/2004 at 19:55. ( ) 131.247.128.148

David C. Newcomb
145 Farrar St.
Keysville, Va 23947

His plans work pretty well. Mine may not be the most efficient of machines, but it seems to do the trick.

Freeze dryers

This response submitted by PJK on 03/29/2004 at 22:30. ( ) 24.163.140.113

Well a freeze dryer is far more simple than anyone here wants to admit! Just by chance about 20 years ago I had some small Smelt flop out of the dish of water I was attempting to freeze them in. They fell onto the surface of the cooling coils of an upright freezer. When I returned some time later (few weeks) to retreive my croc/aquarium food I found smelt completly desicated! So I took it a little further and drilled a hole into the side of this old freezer and added a vacuum pump (adjusted it to the greatest vacuum I could with out blowing the seal some freezers might need to be sealed with silcone). I also added some under tank heaters for reptile aquariums and set them a cycle of on/off freeze thaw freeze thaw. The addition of a couple of very small fans and well ventilated shelving and there you go! Might not be the best for food goods but if you want to dry some turkey heads or in my case fish food what the heck. For best results completely defrost the freezer every time you use it making sure it is as dry as you can get it.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu