The Albia Buck

Submitted by Alan Coulter on 03/08/2004 at 18:22. ( alnette@iland.net ) 216.74.216.80

I was at Bass Pro in Springfield this weekend and toured the museum they have in their store. They have the actual Jordan Buck and the Hole-In-The-Horn Buck on display there. I was talking to the curator and she told me the just purchased the Albia Buck for $2 million and it would be on display within the next two weeks.

Now I know $2 mil is a LOT of money in anyone's book, but to harvest a buck of that magnatude and importance only to sell it off in less than a year is disheartening to me. Personally, I couldn't do it. I know Milo Hanson has made money off of his buck but at least he didn't sell it off to the highest bidder as quick as possible.

I'm afraid the kid will never see all of that money and I'm sure he was persuaded to sell it as his father seemed to handle most, if not all, of the PR. Hopefully they were made to put it in a trust fund until he was 18 or something similar. Just thought I would share this info with all of you. Alan C.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Sell it while you can.

This response submitted by John C on 03/08/2004 at 18:40. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Better sell it while you can! You cannot eat antlers, they are good for sentimental reasons. Tomorrow they could be worth nothing or a whole lot more. hum what would happen if they were stolen? Insurance would not cover them, How about if they burned in a fire? Insurance would not cover them.

I see a whole lot of reasons for selling and few for keeping. Hum lets see the kid is going into the record books, he will be pictured with them.

What was the reason to even shoot it if not to make a few bucks
off the display of the antlers? Certianly a younger deer would be better eating.

Its not up to us to worry if the kid even sees a dime from the antlers.

His father should have handled the PR, the kid is under the age of 18 and a minor in the USA. Do you think you could have handled the PR when you were his age? I dought it!

We can rant and rave about if it were our antlers, but its not so its none of our business.

My bet is the antlers are in a certian shop as we speak being molded.

Alan

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/08/2004 at 18:41. ( ) 24.128.109.191

What i do not understand, and i mean this with all due respect, is What Importance? What importance in the real scheme of things does a Monster buck like that have. basically it was nothing more than a huge record book deer with awesome antlers. Next year, or the year after, another will be shot, and a few years later another, and so on. What real importance is there? Ive heard people talk about it like it was the Covenenat of the ARK for gods sake. It was just a well eating deer with superior genetics for antler growth. Am i ignorant of somehting, Like I said, i meant my comment with all due respect and it is not a slam. Just curious! I would think that the next record largemouth Bass which will undoubtably come out of Lake casitas in california, will have more importance on the ecosystem of the lake, and the health of the fish in it, than a deer that found an acorn bonanza fr a year, and lived in close proximity to a nuclear waste dump!

Replica

This response submitted by terry v on 03/08/2004 at 19:29. ( ) 216.120.182.203

replicas are being made.

2 million?

This response submitted by marty on 03/08/2004 at 19:37. ( ) 67.173.51.16

I haven't been in the market for too 7 figure racks, but 2 million sounds like an awful lot of money. An awful lot of money for a record that could be broken next year. I'd certainly be surprised if that number were true. If so, I would've sold it in a heartbeat too!

wow

This response submitted by Griz on 03/08/2004 at 19:38. ( ) 69.66.86.78

There will be an albia buck on display at the iowa deer classic this weekend. In des moines iowa at the convention comples. 9.00 tickets i think and if i remember right the website is iowadeerclassic.com. I say "an" albia buck cause i don't know if it is the real one or not.

Also there was a nice pic of tony and his buck in the sunday des moines register yesterday. And FYI it is not the handicapped kid or the buck that was circulating real early on the net.
It is funny she bought it for 2 million cause an article in the paper not too long ago said they would be lucky to get 100,000 since the record was so recently broken and the story behind it was not that thrilling(compared to milo's i guess). That is all i heard.

Don't get me wrong,

This response submitted by Alan C. on 03/08/2004 at 20:38. ( alnette@iland.net ) 216.74.216.80

I'm all for any money I could get through replicas, sports shows, etc. but I still wouldn't sell it outright. It would still have more personal value to me than monetary value, but that's just me.

John, you're right on a few aspects. I'm sure you could get insurance to cover it. I'm sure Bass Pro and Cabela's have insurance on all of their trophy mounts in case of any accident and there's no reason an individual couldn't do the same.

As far as the PR goes, the boy should have been telling the story from the beginning, not the father. Also, who got the money from the sale? They were rightfully the boy's but being a minor, as you said, did his guardians get it? If so, than there's the possibility that the kid may not have any money or deer to show for it.

A friend of mine was in a car wreck with his daughter a few years back. The judge made them put the daughter's settlement in a trust fund until she was 18 because of the fact too many parent's end up spending the money that is supposed to go to the kids. That was the point I was trying to make. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you so please don't take it wrong.

Tom, I don't take any offense to what you said but I feel any deer that breaks the 300 mark (and that's VERY few), should be held in awe, no matter what the location as long as it's not enclosed. I will admit, I'm a BIG whitetail fan so I am a little prejudiced in my belief on this. As far as the importance in regard to the scheme of things, I don't see any other than personal achievment, but I'm sure a deer biologist would beg to differ.

As far as the $2 million goes, that's what the curator told me. I agree, that's a lot of money but if someone wants something bad enough and money is really no object, who's to say it's too much? You don't have to look far to find something sell at some ghastly high price such as Eminem's boyhood house on ebay last year.

I believe the reason Milo's buck is so valuable because it broke a record that stood for over 80 years. I know that plays a part in any value of collectible antlers. I honestly feel this record will last for a while and I don't see it being broke anytime soon. Look at the Missouri Monarch that scores 333 7/8 I believe. It's been over 20 years since they found it dead in St. Louis County and it still hasn't been beat.

Agree or not, it sure beats the hell of discussing POLITICS! LOL!Alan C.

I could be wrong...

This response submitted by marty on 03/08/2004 at 21:14. ( ) 67.173.51.16

...but I don't think the Hanson buck has come anywhere near 2 million in profit, yet. And I believe a typical rack has more value to it than a non-typical rack. But that's just my opinion.

It's a bit tougher for a "nobody" to market their record book deer and make 2 million BEFORE somebody tops it (vs. a Cabelas that can make money off of it immediately.) I could see them paying top dollar for a record book rack. BUT 2 million bananas is a LOT of cashola! They're putting a lot of money on the roulette wheel if they paid 2 million for that rack imho....

Actually, I just did a search on the internet...

This response submitted by marty on 03/08/2004 at 21:24. ( ) 67.173.51.16

Some estimates are up at 4.5 million. All rumors. Rumors actually help inflate the value of the rack. Perhaps the Cabelas curator was just pushing things along?

The Hanson buck has netted ~$150K in endorsements, etc. And, the Albia buck has been estimated to be worth somewhere along those lines. I'll believe $2 million when I see it in writing from a reputable source...

Johnny Morris 2m is a drop in the bucket.

This response submitted by John C on 03/08/2004 at 21:38. ( ) 66.233.157.155

2M to us is a lot of money, to someone like Johnny Morris its not anything more than pocket change. So it draws a lot of people to pay $12.00 out of thier pocket to see it.

Maybe some people put a set of antler in the AWE position. I really feel I have missed bigger deer. Mater of fact if I shot a new owrld record I would not want it in my house. You cannot afford the insurance that you think its worth.

I buy a 1 million dollar insurance policy on damage my horses could cause. This is a realistic amount of money.

How do you set a intrinsic value, a maybe its worth value?

Not quite accurate

This response submitted by M.Magis on 03/08/2004 at 22:58. ( mjmagis at hotmail.com ) 65.238.95.60

She was a bit off on the price. Every source that I've seen has stated $100k. Here's one of many. http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1078659001213820.xml
That's still a lot of money and a rumor, but more reasonable.

<><>?<><>

This response submitted by EARL on 03/09/2004 at 08:07. ( ANT / TAX ) 68.82.185.179

A friend of mine was just last week at the new cabela's in Pa.and he had a Cabela's employee tell him they bought it for a million."TIME WILL TELL"

Earl

This response submitted by marty on 03/09/2004 at 09:51. ( ) 67.173.51.16

I'm finding the same info as M.Magis. Mr. Morris probably WANTS people to brag about the inflated, unrealistic price he (didn't) pay for the rack as that in itself will attract more business. Most info that I could find puts the value at somewhere between $100-$150K. I'm sure either amount is a drop in a bucket for him - as John said. But, I don't think he's the type of businessman that would simply toss his money away. That's how most businessmen/women get to where he's at. By being shrewd with their money. (ref: Martha Stewart!)

Me too Marty

This response submitted by George on 03/09/2004 at 21:26. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.10

6 and 7 figures is all the real spenders are willing to invest on a "temporary" record head. Too many big deer are being taken every year now to venture such ridiculous figures as being mentioned above.

awesome rack for a nice boy

This response submitted by perry oglesby on 03/16/2004 at 01:50. ( poincr@aol.com ) 64.12.116.205

attended the deer classic in des moines to witness the excitement and that it is, pure joy to see so much attention to our dying sport. i asked a few attendents at the display where most stood in awe and he said it was in the mid 100k range. the mount was on display in the center of a bass pro display..?

Show me the money

This response submitted by Michael on 03/16/2004 at 21:42. ( ) 152.163.252.166

100 grand or 2 mill it dosen't matter if I would have harvested the deer they could have had the rack before the sun went down.I would still have the fame a reproduction rack and the fat bank account!case closed maybe me next year I can have the chance to sell them one

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu