Cecil can't spell

Submitted by Ron on 03/08/2004 at 23:44. ( ) 205.231.189.192

But who am I to judge. Moron vs Moran hmmmm.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Yep, Ron=Bob, etc!

This response submitted by BB on 03/09/2004 at 00:29. ( ) 216.183.50.63

Character is much more important than spelling!

I don't mean to sound insensitive but...

This response submitted by Scott on 03/09/2004 at 10:57. ( ) 63.193.177.130

half the people on this board sound like they barely speak English. They don't seem to know the difference between bear and bare or your and you're. Sometimes messages are so misspelled and convoluted I have to read them three or four times before I can understand what they are trying to say. I teach junior high English and most of my low classes write better than a lot of the people on here.

LOL

This response submitted by DaveT on 03/09/2004 at 11:14. ( ) 198.26.118.36

Scott, want to tell me how you came to this conclusion "half the people on this board sound like they barely speak English"?

I do not see how you could judge how we "sound" from written words? Maybe how we spell or type?

DaveT

Sorry Scott

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/09/2004 at 11:34. ( ) 63.115.128.186

I guess even though I have a college degree with a 3.5 GPA, and I'm a professional writer I still make a typo now and then.

How many articles have you had published with NO rejections as I have? People like you do the editing for me. LOL

No offense meant -- just be careful of being critcal of folks on here. It can get really ruthless on here when you do that. Been there done that.

Of course you're right

This response submitted by Scott on 03/09/2004 at 12:29. ( ) 63.193.177.130

It's not half the people, and a lot are typing mistakes, but some people just seem to type without reading what they write. I'm not trying to be critical, but how much effort does it take to put bear instead of bare, paint instead of pant, fleshing instead of flashing or even freshing, sewing instead of soin, bugs instead of bags, hoping instead of hopping, etc.?

Well Scott there are lots kinds of folks on here

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/09/2004 at 13:17. ( ) 63.115.128.186

Some folks just don't consider spelling a priority, some don't care about proof reading, some seem to be good spellers but probably look up every other word in the dictionary LOL, and some never graduated from high school and are as academic as a door knob. And lots of folks in between. I know of one that comes on here that is dyslexic but there is nothing wrong his mental accuity. Even with some on here like me, English is a second language. I know one guy that comes on here that has less than perfect English skills, but he is one of the best fish taxidermists I have ever seen. His first language is French Canadian -- I believe.

So even though I too cring (sp?) at the grammar and spelling on here -- that a taxidermist does not make.

I'm just worried that...

This response submitted by Scott on 03/09/2004 at 14:30. ( ) 63.193.177.130

People will view taxidermists and hunters as a bunch of illiterate hillbillies who never made it past second grade. I know a lot of taxidermists and all of them are very intelligent. I just don't want non-hunters to believe the stereotype of inbred hillbillies drinking beer and shooting at anything that moves.

Well Here is my take

This response submitted by Tenbears on 03/09/2004 at 16:20. ( ) 152.163.252.167

Its nice to spell right. And it is nice to have good composition in the written word. Those who read poorly written posts may think the poster to be unintelligent. And I probably would fall into that category. English is not my first language. and it is nice for you that you are a master of it. However, without researching. Can you tell me what a pedal bone is, and where it is located? can you tell me the purpose of a heat bar shoe? Can you build one? Do you know what laminitis is? Can you tell me the firing order of a 426 hemi? Can you weld? Can you paint a car, that would win ribbons at shows? How deep do you plant corn? How deep do you plant alfalfa? how much lime pre acre do you add to soil with a pH of 5.4 to bring it to 6.8? Do you know what the best pH level is for Soy Beans? See My point. I can do all of the above. Which one of us is Smarter? I would be inclined to say Neither. we simply have different fields of expertise. The difference is. If you do not know about what I do I figure you just don't know that stuff. An educated Individual always seems to be disgusted with people that don't measure up to their personal standards. But rarely realize how little they actually know.

I didn't say

This response submitted by Scott on 03/09/2004 at 18:18. ( ) 63.193.177.130

I was anything close to disgusted or that I am better, smarter, or in any way superior to anyone else. I simply said that a non-hunter who reads post after post filled with mistakes, he will tend to judge the whole group as less intelligent, the same way a person would judge bowlers as fat and out of shape if the only ones they saw on tv were fat and bald. That doesn't mean all bowlers are that way, or even that it doesn't take skill and strength to bowl frame after frame. Like I said, every taxidermist I know is very intelligent. Most of the posts to which I refer are not because the person doesn't know how to write, but because the person is in such a hurry he doesn't read what he types before hitting the submit button.

Cecil, Cecil, Cecil

This response submitted by George on 03/09/2004 at 21:36. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.11

Tell me I misread that. You've "never" had a rejection? Only one of two ways to pull that off. (1) Quit after your first one or (2) become your own publisher. I've written a few articles myself over the years and I'd NEVER make such a statement as that. The "big" guys are always a tough nut to crack and for every ONE I had published, I must've had 2 dozen rejections.

If I'm lying I'm dying George

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/09/2004 at 23:09. ( ) 63.115.128.223

I have never had a rejection. I can swear that on a bible.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu