We need to help stop this!

Submitted by JOhn C on 03/09/2004 at 00:12. ( http://usaip.info/ ) 66.233.157.155

Something REALLY dreadful is about to happen that will affect us all and our way of life. The USDA is sneaking in a massive plan that will force anyone who owns a cow, horse, mule, llama, pig, sheep, duck, chicken or anything else they deem to be livestock to be registered with the government and to comply with a list of rules that includes:

Having a federal site identification number
Identifying every animal on the site with an eartag or electronic chip
Recording every movement of every animal on and off the site for any reason
Allow govenment inspectors onto your premises at any time to verify your animals and reports

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Implementation starts in June of this year if we cannot stop it. Everyone needs to write to every Congressman before its too late. I am not sure which is the most mind boggling: the invasion of privacy or the potential cost, most of which will be borne by the victims! This is not internet folklore, the 74 page preliminary document is available on their website. This is all under the innocent sounding guise of tracking animal disease. Here is the link to their site: http://usaip.info/. People, if we, as cattlemen and horsemen do not lauch a massive campaign to stop this now, we are going to be living in a nightmare of government permits, paperwork and fines for the priviledge of owning a saddle horse and Lord help those raising cattle commercially. A plan this massive and invasive should <not> be within the auspices of any government beaurocracy to just write and implement. The creation of such a big and restrictive plan should only be allowed by our elected officials, not by career beaurocrats.

You can contact your representatives online at: http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/. The script that group mails everyone at once do es not work but there is a contact form for each legislator that does work. Please, read the details and write today! Pass this along to anyone and everyone who will help.

SITE BELOW------------------------------------------------Site below

USAIP EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Protecting American animal agriculture by safeguarding animal health is vital to the wellbeing of
all U. S. citizens. It promotes human health; provides wholesome, reliable, and secure food
resources; mitigates national economic threats; and enhances a sustainable environment.
Essential to achieving this goal is an efficient and effective animal identification program.
Building upon previously established and successful animal health and animal identification
programs involving many animal industries, an industry-state-federal partnership, aided by the
National Institute for Animal Agriculture (NIAA), was formed in 2002 to more uniformly
coordinate a national animal identification plan. This resulting plan, requested by the United
States Animal Health Association (USAHA) and facilitated by USDA"s Animal and Plant Health
Inspection Service (APHIS), was formulated in 2003 for presentation at the October, 2003
annual meeting of the USAHA. More than 100 animal industry and state-federal government
professionals representing more than 70 allied associations/organizations collectively assessed
and suggested workable improvements to the plan to meet future U. S. animal identification
needs.

Fundamental to controlling any disease threat, foreign or domestic, to the nation"s animal
resources is to have a system that can identify individual animals or groups, the premises where
they are located, and the date of entry to that premises. Further, in order to achieve optimal
success in controlling or eradicating an animal health threat, the ability to retrieve that
information within 48 hours of confirmation of a disease outbreak and to implement intervention
strategies is necessary. The USAIP is focused on utilizing state-of-the-art national and
international standards with the best available and practical technologies. It is dynamic and
flexible, and will incorporate new and proven technologies as they become available. States"
needs in implementing animal identification will receive priority within the uniformity provided by
federal oversight.

The USAIP currently supports the following species and/or industries: bison, beef cattle, dairy
cattle, swine, sheep, goats, camelids (alpacas and llamas), horses, cervids (deer and elk),
poultry (eight species including game birds), and aquaculture (eleven species). Implementation
will be in three phases: Phase I involves premises identification; Phase II involves individual or
group/lot identification for interstate and intrastate commerce; and Phase III involves retrofitting
remaining processing plants and markets and other industry segments with appropriate
technology that will enhance our ability to track animals throughout the livestock marketing
chain to protect and improve the health of the national herd. Initial implementation will focus on
the cattle, swine, and small ruminant industries. In transition, the USAIP recommends that:
all states have a premises identification system in place by July, 2004; unique,
individual or group/lot numbers be available for issuance by February, 2005;
all cattle, swine, and small ruminants possess individual or group/lot identification for
interstate movement by July, 2005;
all animals of the remaining species/industries identified above be in similar
compliance by July, 2006.

These standards will apply to all animals within the represented industries regardless of their
intended use as seedstock, commercial, pets or other personal uses.

It is well acknowledged that costs associated with the USAIP will be substantial and that a
public/private funding plan is justified. Significant state and federal costs will be incurred in
overseeing, maintaining, updating, and improving necessary infrastructure. Continued efforts
will be required to seek federal and state financial support for this integral component of
safeguarding animal health in protecting American animal agriculture.

Go Here for Current Work Plan Information

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Thank the antis for that

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/09/2004 at 00:57. ( ) 66.82.9.71

Just another step in eliminating any type of pet a person will be able to own. PETA politics all the way.

No you can thank the finding of Mad Cow in the U.S. for

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/09/2004 at 06:33. ( ) 63.115.128.186

it. I don't think PETA has anything to do with this one.

commercial cattle

This response submitted by Brian on 03/09/2004 at 07:37. ( naturesfinestbr@aol.com ) 152.163.252.166

On our farm we have to tag every cow and calve already to keep records on the health of the herd.
We keep records on 300 head of beef cattle..we already had calls on us to join the goverment program.
Thats our living and taxidermy.
Brian

I understand the concern

This response submitted by b bishop on 03/09/2004 at 08:14. ( ) 65.73.67.223

You could surely see this coming. Why stop there , why not include cats, dogs , guinea pigs, hamsters, blah, blah, blah.

Does anyone see a prophecy

This response submitted by scott on 03/09/2004 at 08:56. ( ) 64.39.203.107

As said, a one world nation, well we are stepping closer to Communism everyday.They want to have control of everything you own.Guns,money,animals,vehicles,businesses,etc.Get prepared!

Don't worry Scott

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 03/09/2004 at 15:43. ( ) 65.73.67.54

we don't intend on leting the democrats take over !

Ok, Cecil

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/09/2004 at 20:04. ( ) 66.82.9.13

It is *possible* PETA had nothing to do with this. I should have said the "Animaniacs" and other animal activists. They have already forced many breeders of pets to comply with sanitation levels that would rival a hospital!

B. Bishop mentioned, "Why stop there , why not include cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, blah, blah, blah," Guess what? It has ALREADY happened...years ago. Breeders of the species he mentions have had to be regulated for several years now, and the noose is tightening daily. PETA's goal is to have NO animal allowed to be owned as a pet, be it a goldfish, horse, dog, cat or rat.

I don't know about now, but as of a few years ago, the Humane Society, etc., had a LOT of involvement with the USDA/APHIS. Who do you suppose pushed and is still pushing them so hard?

I will buy a little of what you are saying but...

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/09/2004 at 21:50. ( ) 63.115.128.223

when I see someone has 100 cats in a house or lets their pet roam and destroy wildlife I think there needs to be some control. We put to sleep millions of dogs and cats a year due to some morons that aren't responsible enough to spay or neuter there pet if they do not desire offspring. Some pets are treated terribly and when I see a dog chained up to it's dog house and ignored with it's collar grown into it's neck I thing it's time to at least make the SOB that owns it responsible or shoot the owner! Some folks are so irresponsible there needs to be laws to keep them in line!

As far as the Humane Society etc. they do do some good. I got my dog at a HS shelter and they were doing the best they could with the problem of dealing with stray animals. It's a travisty how some of us treat animals.

In the case of controlling disease that can kill us I have no problem marking livestock which as has been said is already done. It's a small price to pay.

By Opinion

This response submitted by Richie on 03/09/2004 at 22:22. ( ribjr@webtv.net ) 209.240.205.61

You want control?Just think when hunting is Banned and FISH are on the list!Some folks raise animals with a Hospital regulation and do not get monetary value close to the specifics of the control officer enforcment requirments!What you just stated amounts too: You hate all cats!You do not care if the price of Beef got @$50 per lb.Chickens to $15 PER lb> or Guns kill!Do you really like the whole stuation or do you want the MICROCHIP in your own neck? Richie

Give me a break!

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/09/2004 at 23:16. ( ) 63.115.128.223

The government wants to better monitor cattle so if Mad Cow shows up again they can quarantine the bloodline and call back any infected meat, and you are worried that hunting and fishing will be banned because of that?

If you believe that you need to be neutered or spayed (whichever is appropriate) and have a microchip under you skin so we can keep track of you. LMAO

I'm not against monitoring cattle

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/10/2004 at 15:15. ( ) 66.82.9.35

I have no problem with that. But keep in mind, microchips can be removed and new ones put in. But the regulations on ALL animals are getting more and more strict.

I agree, Cecil, I hate seeing how some animals are kept. And some of the animal shelters do as good a job as they can, considering what they are up against. But, MOST of the dogs/cats that end up in shelters are mutts, due to, as you rightly stated, people not being responsible for seeing to it their pet doesn't reproduce. What gripes me, though, is the way they go about trying to solve the problem. I used to have a USDA-licensed kennel many years ago. It was ridiculous what some of the regulations required! While I kept a clean kennel, I did get written up for two things I can remember: one was because a metal trashcan I used to store feed in didn't fit tightly enough. The guy said I could probably whack it a couple of times with a hammer and fix it. But he still had to write it up! The other was because we had some bagged dog food in our concrete-floored, totally dry, attached to the house, automatic door, garage that wasn't placed on pallets! The reason? Because if it was on pallets, the bottom of the bags couldn't get wet, and because if they were off the floor, rodents would be less likely to bother them! Well, they weren't going to get wet there and last time I looked, mice could climb and/or jump the 4" necessary to reach the bags. I could go on and on, but I've done too much rambling already.

As to the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), people need to be aware of the outrageous amounts of money they take in every year, and the corresponding outrageous salaries those upper guys draw! If they REALLY want to help, offer more free spay/neuter clinics. With the money they take in, they could sterilize a LOT more dogs/cats than they do now.

Instead of pressuring the pet breeders who take care of the animals they breed, more pressure needs to be put on the owners Cecil mentioned above. Those people won't abide by 'regulations' anyway. Sort of like taking away our guns. The criminals don't care what regulations are imposed. They don't abide by them anyway, and it is the law-abiding citizens that get the screws put to them.

Enough rambling. Sorry this is so long! (But, I could go on with yet more!)

Too bad

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 03/10/2004 at 17:06. ( ) 67.26.81.215

The heritage turkeys that I raise are very uncommon due to several recessive color genes that they carry, not to mention the one with a crest. That, and the fact that I raise them without antibiotics means that I have a lot of demand for them for feathers, for hatching eggs, for poults, and for meat.
If I have to register my premises and tag every single one of them it will just add to the hassle of having them. Eventually it will reach a point where they just aren't worth the trouble .... and turkeys with feathered crests on their heads will then become extinct until the mutation surfaces again.

Exactly what the antis are working for, Nancy

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/10/2004 at 19:04. ( ) 66.82.9.71

Hassle the breeders until they decide it isn't worth the trouble to raise them.

I've not seen a Heritage Turkey. They sound pretty neat!

Thank you Girls

This response submitted by Richie on 03/10/2004 at 22:15. ( ribjr@webtv.net ) 209.240.205.61

THANK YOU for your posts!If the fish guy wants me to get fixed or spayed or nuetered before I get my Chip!He has to be joking,choking or just out for himself!You all could not have evaluated better and told the conditions at first hand at your State and formal regulations for livestock!I would not have a come back because of self centered individuals who have their opinion and play the game!I resent the fact that if my name is Richie'.I do not need spayed?Go figure I need to be nuetered!But with a name like the rebutal if you aint a Basset you sure were named like one!(lol) Just kidding!Richie

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu