USAIP....What I want to know...............

Submitted by Mac on 03/10/2004 at 12:27. ( ) 216.54.8.18

is why are they proceeding with a program that has so many unanswered questions. In browsing their information and reading their PDF files, there is an immense amount of outstanding info. Now, they may have come further since the Dec. 2003 4.1 version of their work plan, but even in there they still show only the projected funding. I am all for a program to help "watchdog" these diseases, but I would also like to hear more about the studies that went into the creation of this program they appear to be ram-rodding through. When was the last time you heard about an avian flu (other than today's) or mad cow disease occuring in the US? To the best of my limited knowledge and memory,I want to say it was possibly the late 70's? Regardless, and correct me if I am wrong please, it has been a long duration of time since any problems of this nature have arisen in the US. Is there a more immenent threat of these diseases in todays world as compared to years past? I try and watch the news both local and national when I can, but have I missed this situation somewhere down the road? I need to read their information again, but I did not see in my first screening much that protects the land/animal owner. I also did not like the prospected monetary amounts that, if I read correctly will be required to be paid for by the animal owners too. I also see no restraints which limit their actions in what they can or cannot do. I'm going to read it again but what do yall think?

Mac

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

what i have heard...

This response submitted by Griz on 03/10/2004 at 13:23. ( ) 69.66.86.87

Most educated farmers are not really against this because it will aid in knowing where cattle came from. The reason being touted is for disease control, but why farmers are willing to tolerate this is simple. Thousands of cattle come into the U.S. every year from Canada, Australia, Mexico, and other places that do not have near the meat quality that U.S. feedlots stand for. But they are being sold under the presumption of being american beef. For instance Japan will pay a premium for good beef, so U.S. beef would get a premium price. Also i would be willing to pay a little more to know i am getting a fast-fed, marbled up, tender, corn-fed steak versus slow -fed, grass-grown, lean ,stringy meat. No offense Kiwi(or other australian/new zealanders) but that is how australia and some of the other places feed beef.

I am told this program will only cost $2.00 a head, which is what most people are paying anyways to put their own tag in. Also it is already in effect here in iowa on sheep at no cost to the producer. And the only negative aspect is that the salebarns(livestock auction houses) have more paperwork to file, so they cut back the number of sale dates they had in order to group the sheep together, and some totally quit handling sheep sales. But all in all it has worked out alright.

I am not really up to date on the issue, i am just conveying farmers' thoughts. Also i gather that pets would be required to get tagged, i can see how that upsets people. Anything not commercially farmed i would think shouldn't be "punished" like that. Deer farmers are already under close scrutiny with the cwd going around especially here in the midwest.

Last i heard they are trying to get support for a voluntary program versus a required program. I am not deadset on my stand for or against this so i would like to hear what you guys think for or against the points that i mentioned, I know JOhnC posted something on it not too long ago.

I will scan in a paper I received from them today.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 03/10/2004 at 15:24. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Later today I will scan the paper in.

Mc Donalds claims the USA cannot supply enough beef for them. So they and Arby's bring it in from Argentina, Brazil and Chile.

One question I have is how are/is the program going to check that meat?

They cannot tell me as they have no plan. They have and are putting the cart before the horse so to speak.

While it will not hurt/harm most beef producers, I am against it because IT GIVES THE GOVERMENT A RIGHT TO INSPECT MY PLACE OF OPERATION AGAIN AT ANYTIME THEY WISH.

I have horses and Its none of their fricken business where I keep them or how I keep them.

All agri. lands will be numbered and they will be supplied at my expense the information.

Now if a cow has a sick, there are several programs available to farmers that they can recoupe some of thier loss.

On the other hand with horses, there some illness that the horse has to be destroyed over. Equine Infectious Anemia (AIDS to horses) the virus is carried by horse flies. If my horse, which by law are tested yearly come back a reactor, they must be put down, at my expense without and fincial aid from the goverenment. I loose the cost of vet services and value of the horse.

Now since I dont claim nor operate the horses as a business (nothing is tax deductable) why would they need to know?

This act, will go all the way down to the man raising a pig or a calf for thier own slaughter useage.

Does Uncle Sam need to know totally animal populations? What for?
When you sell calves or hogs, you have a number to give the sale barn where they stock can already be traced back to you along with the check for the sale.

The micro chip cost a bit more than two bucks, plus will have to be placed by a USDA Veterenarian(sp) I know they will be super busy chasing cattle and hogs, even chickens around the country. How are they going to tag chickens and turkeys? After all one house hold 30,000 chickens or 12,000 turkeys. at $2.00 thats stupid to have to chip them and its only for six weeks. The chicken house slaughter 250,000 birds a day, this is per plant. How are they going to unchip the birds? We have around 20 plants in Arkansas Townsends, Conagra, Hudsons, Tysons, Georges and I am sure the numbers are just as high in other states.

Cattle are a bit easier as are hogs. But its thousands buthchered daily!

What about FISH?
I can just see Cecil out there chipping his fish. Then there are the huge Tilapia and Catfish farms or the south, salmon and trout farms in the north.

What about the commercial fish farmers? How are they going to track the movement of that meat supply?

I think someone has made a job for someones kid at our expense again.

You go, guy!

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/10/2004 at 20:11. ( myers.ark@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.71

I agree with you, John!

By the way, wanna buy a horse or two? I need to have a sale! Have about 30 right now, counting the 6 new babies born this last month, and have 2, maybe 3 more on the way!

I see your point john...

This response submitted by Griz on 03/10/2004 at 20:31. ( ) 69.66.85.71

I hear where you are coming from john. And i agree. What little benefits that cattle farmers recieve aren't worth the bad things that we will have to put up with. It is amazing how things can get "snuck" in like this, not just this, but all kinds of "programs" that professional politicians push through without us little people knowing.

John I would explain to you how fish are tracked primarily

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/10/2004 at 21:04. ( ) 63.115.128.249

salmonids, but there isn't enough room on this forum. Let's just say I need a permit for everthing and I had to drive 13 hours just to bring brook trout to my farm because my state wouldn't allow me to bring them from anywhere else. It's painful to go by the book but I wouldn't do it any other way.

Do beef and cattle farmers have to pay for health inspections out of their own pockets? We do even though fish are also a farm raised product.

Pet breeders do

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/10/2004 at 21:56. ( ) 66.82.9.22

They have to pay for all 'hoops' they have to jump through to satisfy the feds, including the identification requirements and scheduled 'vet checks.'

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu