PTA GREAT SHOW /UPSET WITH BIRD JUDGE

Submitted by SHAWN on 03/15/2004 at 11:35. ( ) 204.186.166.217

The show was probablly the best ever, everybody had a fabulous time, my hats off to the board members for a great show..... However I was very disgusted with the bird judge in that I have never seen such inconsistant judging in the waterfowl and turkey catagories. I know that it is one mans opinion but his scores were rediculous. I dont want anybody to think Im a sore loser because Im not, but when you had the man who won best of cat. in the professional div. say he didn't agree with the judging something is a miss there. Not to say two world champion waterfowl tax. look and say nothing just shake there heads. I know for a fact that there also was guys up in arms in the turkey div. I am very upset but that is how it goes. I would really like to see a judge for turkeys and upland game and a separate judge in the waterfowl div.. In know way does this reflect the board members it totally reflects on the judge. All and all it was a great show and I am looking forward to next year.
If anybody feels like me I'm sure we will hear from them.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

You win some you lose some

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/15/2004 at 11:57. ( ) 63.115.128.184

The next judge may be too easy! I feel it all averages out over time and you just have to roll with it. At some point your work will be so good there will be no questions about it and you will score really high consistently regardless of who the judge is.

Not speaking for your show but being a past president and board member of mine, it's tough to control the human element. If we did have a judge that was really bad though, we just never used him or here again.

Just remember I was not at your show and am not speaking for your particular situation. Just giving my two cents.

Just my 2 cents.

My experience was different

This response submitted by Perry on 03/15/2004 at 12:14. ( ) 128.118.40.76

I did hear of one disagreement within the turkey category. Having entered a turkey, I can honestly say the critique I received was accurate. In fact, while sitting in on Jim K's pheasant seminar on Friday, I knew exactly what my turkey critique sheet would say. Low and behold on Saturday afternoon, there it was in black and white on the the
critique sheet. I'm not disagreeing with you shawn, or anyone else for that matter, just speaking from my critque sheets. All were very accurate. The board and the members did a great job and I'm looking forward to next year.

thats a tough one

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 03/15/2004 at 14:06. ( ) 209.130.218.247

As a judge we all worry most about being consistent. Most guys do a decent job of it. Having all those seperate judges WOULD be nice, but again, logistics suggest its not feasible.

turkeys

This response submitted by gregg ielfield on 03/15/2004 at 16:11. ( ) 64.19.85.150

Yes , There may have been some things wrong with some of the bird scoring but what can you do.
You go there for the judges thoughts on your work , and it is his thoughts on it not the PA assoc. or the board members thoughts it is the judges . Did I think he judge right or wrong? Well Just to say there was 2 part breakthourgh award winning turkeys there in masters 1 ended up a third and the other was a Low 2nd. Yes he was way off on the turkeys, I did win the best turkey but with a (81) I do not think you will ever see mr. Fanta Back in PA or if he is there will be NO Turkeys there. Even in the pro class he missed the mark, way off. But again not the PA show faught.
Great Great show awesome seminars. over 300 mounts . good jub to the PTA Did I mention the money that they give away there, lots of it.. some did make it back to my wife.
Gregg
PS: as a nta bird judge I do have opinions as how birds should look as did Mr. Fanta, maybe next show he'll judge the turkeys better.

I knew it was coming!

This response submitted by r stanton on 03/15/2004 at 17:52. ( ) 170.215.201.105

I was at this show (amateur excited to see top-notch work!) and good lord-- i don't know the judges do it... looking at that number of mounts is overwhelming. They're only human after all. I won't comment on the quality of the judging (i'm not really qualified to), but i'd cut him some slack. It's bad enough his seminar audience looked at him like he was from another planet when they saw he was going to wrap a turkey body!

I am curious about just what the specifics of the disagreement were.
I will say though that i will probably never think you guys paint turkeys right... too intense red that only belongs on a full strut bird-- i may not be a professional anything but i know how to look at a photograph... just take out the latest issue of turkey and turkey hunting and tell me i'm wrong... i suppose it's what customers want but the Creator sets the standard!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu