do you "sign" your work?

Submitted by Griz on 03/15/2004 at 13:11. ( ) 69.66.85.94

How do you guys and gals sign your work? Any secret ways? I used to burn my name in the back or underneath, Now i use a dremel. Also i use serial numbers that correspond to my records i keep. The serial number includes numerical order of that type of work and month&year. I just started doing it when i first started taxidermy and been doing it ever since. I figured it might come in handy if i ever do a peice and someone complains about it and tries something funny, like swapping out heads or something. Or after i been doing it 40 years and get as famous as bill and my "Originals" are worth thousands it can be traced back.....LOL...a guy can dream can't he?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Signing work

This response submitted by Leapin on 03/15/2004 at 14:57. ( ) 68.102.141.186

I don't do anything fancy, just hot glue my business card to the back or botton of each finished mount. It has worked really well for me and the customer always has my phone no.

My best advertising over the years has been giving real nice mugs with my company name and phone no. I have been surprised how many referrals I have received from the mugs. Better than caps and a lot less expensive.

I do

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 03/15/2004 at 16:22. ( ) 66.133.133.221

I sign every mount that goes out. It started when many folks would flatter me by asking me to. I also date the signature, which, with my long return times, makes me wish I could run more current! Im still flattered to do this, to this day!

I leave a business card under the skull cap.

This response submitted by Jerry on 03/15/2004 at 17:12. ( ) 68.171.167.133

On it I write the date and the customer's name and I always write, "Hey, you just ripped apart my deerhead!"

Aritsis Signature

This response submitted by Susan on 03/15/2004 at 17:48. ( designhabitat@earthlink ) 165.247.180.177

My hubby had a stamp made like his business card, and stamps the backboard before the customer leaves with his trophy. All of our customers really appreciate it, because they might loose the business card before the next season rolls around-they have an instant reference for our number!(I also stamp each habitat I create.) I had one guy bring in a coyote on a rock ledge alledging that I had used inferior materials in making it. I promptly showed him how I signed each of the habitat pieces I had in the shop, and told him that I make my own original rock ledges, tabletop displays, and floor displays/pieces. When he and I turned his coyote (and ledge habitat) around to inspect it for "our" shop signatures and guess what?! The actual taxidermy/arteest that did the piece had thoughtfully written (with a permanant marker) his name and number on it! Hey-Instead of an argument or loosing a long-time repeat customer, I made him another rock ledge(complete with snow, icecicles, and a few sprigs of bushes for effect) and sent him home happier than he came in.--Susan

Aritsis Signature

This response submitted by Susan on 03/15/2004 at 17:50. ( designhabitat@earthlink ) 165.247.180.177

My hubby had a stamp made like his business card, and stamps the backboard before the customer leaves with his trophy. All of our customers really appreciate it, because they might loose the business card before the next season rolls around-they have an instant reference for our number!(I also stamp each habitat I create.) I had one guy bring in a coyote on a rock ledge alledging that I had used inferior materials in making it. I promptly showed him how I signed each of the habitat pieces I had in the shop, and told him that I make my own original rock ledges, tabletop displays, and floor displays/pieces. When he and I turned his coyote (and ledge habitat) around to inspect it for "our" shop signatures and guess what?! The actual taxidermy/arteest that did the piece had thoughtfully written (with a permanant marker) his name and number on it! Hey-Instead of an argument or loosing a long-time repeat customer, I made him another rock ledge(complete with snow, icecicles, and a few sprigs of bushes for effect) and sent him home happier than he came in.--Susan

Artists Signature

This response submitted by Susan on 03/15/2004 at 17:52. ( designhabitat@earthlink ) 165.247.190.4

OOPS! Sorry about the misspelling..also the double-click on submit! Susan

Signature & a sticker

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/15/2004 at 19:11. ( myers.ark@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.44

I sign the back of the panels with a fine point marker, then stick a gold foil label (like you use on envelopes) that has the studio name, address, phone & email address.

On mounts that don't have a base, I sign a piece of posterboard, which has the edges cut with a decorative scissors (like you find in the scrap booking section of a crafts store). I then use a couple of straight pins with the round, plastic heads to attach it to the bottom.

signature

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 03/15/2004 at 19:53. ( eagle93245@yahoo.com ) 198.81.26.47

My mounts are pretty easy to recognize at this stage of my skills. LOL, seriously though, I have started puting a doodle of a deer skull and my initials. I have found that it is really hard to sign a freestanding baseless lifesize mount. I guess I could add some extra putty to the nosepad and doodle there!

Mine too, Jeanette

This response submitted by George on 03/15/2004 at 22:56. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.168

That's why I use a decal that I hope falls off in a few years. I've seen some of my old mounts and I'm SOOOO glad I didn't sign and date them. I don't want ANYONE to know I did those things. LOL

I also

This response submitted by Mark H on 03/16/2004 at 11:05. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.204.8

use a stamp, never thought about actually signing tho. Might try that next time.

Business card

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 03/16/2004 at 14:59. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 149.101.1.121

stapled to the backboard with another one tucked in behind it. That way the client can put the loose card in his/her wallet and the other is attached to the mount. In addition we also stamp mounts with a studio stamp.

Bob Mead

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu