Patriot Licence?

Submitted by Alan on 03/15/2004 at 13:41. ( )

I read or heard somewhere that Arkansas has come up w/ a so called "Patriot Licence" that will let U.S. Servicemen/women that puchased a Hunting/Fishing licence in the state of Arkansas & was'nt able to use it, do to their deployment overseas, would be given a Free "Patriot Licence" for the following year, upon proof by showing their Deployment Orders. I commend Arkansas for this decision, however I believe that this is only a good start.

I run a Taxidermy Business near Ft. Knox, KY & a good number of soldiers & retirees are customers of mine. These men & women dont serve just their state of residence, they serve the United States as a whole. I am appalled that a U.S. Serviceman/Woman must have to purchase a Non-Resident Licence or Permit in a state that is not his residence. I think this is a slap in the face to every person that has served in the Armed Forces.

I believe a solution to this issue, is for all states to classify all members of the U.S. Armed Forces (Active, Reserve, & Retired) as a Resident for the purpose of buying a Hunting/ Fishing Licence. This is what I would call a "Patriot Licence". These men/women have sacrificed much & continue to sacrifice much for our entire country, not just their state of residence. I dont think this is much to ask, especially when you consider what they have given & continue to give.

I will soon be forwarding a copy of this to the KDFWR. I ask everyone that reads this to contact their state Dept of Fish & Game & try to help push this through. Lets make a difference.

Alan Childs

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I don't believe this is anything new is it?

This response submitted by Cecil on 03/15/2004 at 23:22. ( )

I remember when my dad was on active duty he did not need a fishing license in his home state.


This response submitted by Alan on 03/16/2004 at 11:02. ( )

He probably did, in his own state of residence. I will say, from what Ive seen several states do have progams that are close to what Ive reccommended, but their for Active Duty Militay only, & its only for Active Duty Military that are residents of that specific state. Texas is the only one that I know of that considers any Active Duty Military as a resident. What I was trying to say is that I think that it would be the "right thing to do" for all states to do what Texas is doing, but go a step further to say:

A RESIDENT is a person who has lived continuously in the state of _________ for more than 6 months immediately before applying for a license or any members of the United States Armed Forces and their dependents(active duty, reserve, & retired) anywhere or any disabled American Veteran. Non-residents under 17 years of age are designated as residents for hunting license purposes (not valid for Lifetime Licenses).

Alan Childs

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu