celastic

Submitted by yasmine on 03/16/2004 at 08:25. ( ) 194.254.131.72

does anyone know what celastic is ?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

YEP

This response submitted by BUZZI COOK on 03/16/2004 at 10:27. ( OLYTAX@AOL.COM ) 198.81.26.46

It is a chemically treated fabric, made in Germany as I remember. While working at Jonas of Seattle we used it to make our own ear liners, we'd peel the ear cartliage from the ear skin, make a tracing onto the Celastic and then make an ear. It was also used to anchor/adhere jaw sets into the hollow rug shells and other open mouth mounts. We were using hand laid hollow fiberglass forms during those days. This stiff 1/16" thick material when wetted with aceton would become very limp and pliable. In a minute or so it would harden to a plastic ear liner hardness, not really that hard,...but not as thick. During the flexible wet time period you could shape it as an ear needs to be shaped until it stiffens or you could use it for anchoring jaw sets to the inside of a hollow form...making the jaw set immovable when dry.
Using latex gloves was impossible as the acetone would destroy the gloves used during that time period, and it left a glued type residue on your skin. The last time I saw it for sale was in the Jonas CATALOG.

Yep! ...What he said!

This response submitted by Tom McNeal on 03/16/2004 at 11:52. ( ) 205.188.209.11

I still have a stash of the old celastic! Both sizes in fact! Thick and thin. It came in sheets and, as described in the above post, would soften and become pliable when imersed in acetone. Before the advancements in "store bought" earliners, a celastic ear was simply (IMHO) the best ear you could make yourself. It was the way I was taught and we did all but the smallest of ears with individually made celastic liners. Until a suitable collection was amassed, a "death mask" of the interior of each new specimen's ear (left and right)was made to obtain the correct shape and contour of the ear. Ears were then turned to the edges and the cartilage was removed intact. The cartlidge would then be "let out" with relief cuts to lay flat, (as would be a cardboard pattern made for a countoured shape), and then used as a pattern for the cutout celastic earliner. After dipping the celastic liner in the acetone, the limp celastic liner would then be draped over the appropriate custom cast ear plug to form the correct ear shape as it dried and hardened. Voila, a very stable, custom made, perfectly shaped and sized ear! Now who, in their right mind, misses those days?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu