other interests

Submitted by TC on 03/16/2004 at 17:37. ( ) 24.11.180.170

just wondering what other interests taxidermists have for fun besides hunting and fishing. I do tae kwon do through the american tae kwon do association its great stress relief for when things dont go right in the shop. just wondering ?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Politics!

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/16/2004 at 17:44. ( ) 63.115.128.164

LOL

Photography, flat art, horses.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 03/16/2004 at 19:08. ( ) 66.233.157.155

sailing, scuba dive/spearfish old cars, abit of carpentry.

hmmm

This response submitted by jon on 03/16/2004 at 19:12. ( jonathan@ harlequintaxidermy.com ) 68.113.208.64

I know that I am going to regret posting this for the rest of my life, and I'm sure it will follow me for the rest of my taxidermy career.. but oh well.. here goes..

I play classical clarinet with the Dallas Symphony. I'm only a fill in.. but I still have to be able to play the parts.. so I practice after a bad day in the shop.

Jon

Neat, Jon!

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/16/2004 at 19:25. ( myers.ark@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.35

I envy you! You've got to be good to be 'only a fill in!'

My other hobbies are horses, drawing/painting, jewelry making. Used to bowl, but haven't in a few years. Even longer ago (about 10 years), I took 6 hours/week of classes in Shorun Ryu (spelling?) I even designed the Dojo patch. (White Swan Dojo). Our instructor was an ex-marine, 3 black belts in the various forms, trained in Okinawa. Only about 5' 6" or so, but still plenty big to take a person down quickly! LOL! We moved, so I had to give it up. =(

Other Interest

This response submitted by Chip D. on 03/16/2004 at 19:27. ( gameskinner@yahoo.com ) 65.134.9.200

I don't have any other interest I'M Married! HAHAHA LOL

I do alittle wood carving and landscape and seascape paintings.

Spearfish old cars

This response submitted by Chip D. on 03/16/2004 at 19:30. ( gameskinner@yahoo.com ) 65.134.9.200

Hey JOhn, doesn't that dull the point on the spear! LMAO

what I do...

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 03/16/2004 at 19:45. ( eagle93245@yahoo.com ) 198.81.26.46

I love riding and you can find me aboard Okie (APHA) just about every weekend galloping al over the county. I have gotten into team roping and am pretty fair at heeling. Okie really hates it when I smack him in the head when I have built too big of a loop- still working on that! I also love to hunt (deer, bear, varments, upland game, ducks). In the Spring I hike around the Sierras looking for sheds. I enjoy travel and I read a lot. I dabble in writing stories and am in the process of writing about my silly adventures.

almost forgot!

This response submitted by Jeanette on 03/16/2004 at 20:04. ( ) 198.81.26.46

I love to play softball too!

very great insights to people in this post

This response submitted by Griz on 03/16/2004 at 20:24. ( ) 69.66.86.150

I love hunting and fishing. I am a farmer/rancher so I keep busy doing that. But i really like bodybuilding( i like lifting weights but don't care for the cardio), also like break dancing(not the best but i try), and my newest favorite pastime is picking locks, they are real life puzzles, and it might come in handy some day knowing how to pick em! I mentioned i don't like the cardio part of bodybuilding but i love to play volleyball so that is good cardio as well as the breakdancing.

Ok

This response submitted by Wally on 03/16/2004 at 20:35. ( muthagoose@hotmail.com ) 216.70.5.30

Lets see being that I am in the shop 12-18 hours a day all winter doing taxidermy ..I guees drinking a cold one while I am fishing...Fire'n up the grill and scarff'n a 1.5# T bone every saturday night from april till nov... Ohyea I watch the bears eat my bait while I pick which one...Maybe its running 10 mile trappline...Maybe its snorkl'n and takkeing underwater photos''
Wait now I remember its sitting on my fat ass watching the sun go done on a nice little island drinking all those cervesa'a from pouring my own heads and bodies...........Yep thats it..Other than that my wife will let me know!

What I do.

This response submitted by Brandon on 03/16/2004 at 22:04. ( taxidermy@tds.net ) 216.170.149.29

I help teach a karate class (Korean Tae Kwon Do), I play the keyboard and saxophone every once and awhile, and I love to read. With school work and taxidermy that's about all I have time to do. I also love playing almost any sport when I have the time.
-Brandon

Other Hobbies

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 03/17/2004 at 00:04. ( ) 155.84.101.2

I love doing Taxidermy, but I also love to carve wood(fish, birds) and relief carving old buildings. I also hunt, fish, canoe, bird watching and RIDING MY ROADKING CLASSIC HARLEY DAVIDSON!

Community service.

This response submitted by Bill K. on 03/17/2004 at 00:16. ( klager@nvc.net ) 64.68.174.106

On a voluntary level. lol

Our town boasts a population of 102. Community projects are almost a weekend event. Everyone pitches in. For example, the milkman is also the Mayor. Our local community puts on a dinner theater to raise money for various projects like the fire hall, the baseball diamond, Salvation army, etc. I stick to the behind the scenes work for now but I might try acting next year.

Bowling is a laugh a minute. I'm on a league (have to travel to the big city for that) I'm happy to break 100 but my best game is a 188. My wife is quite a bit better than me but I take it like a man.

I also started helping out the local farmer driving a combine to take a break from the shop for a while.

Other than that, I spend a lot of time wasting bullets on bird hunting. I also tend to use and excessive amount of bait on unsuccessful fishing trips but it keeps me busy and out of trouble.

Four years ago I moved from New York to South Dakota (talk about a culture shock) and I have found life to be a bit more simple out here. I like it!

Bill K.

Golf

This response submitted by Jeff C on 03/17/2004 at 02:00. ( ) 68.170.133.43

I love to play golf. Not any good at it but its fun. Anybody else play? If not you all sould try it once, its not as boring as you might think.
Jeff C

Whatever strikes me at the moment

This response submitted by Ron (Wisachgak) on 03/17/2004 at 07:45. ( ) 12.166.17.68

I work full time at an agribusiness and do my taxidermy of an evening, during the spring I help my wife in the flower garden until the planting season kicks in. During the planting season I work, work and work sometimes nearly around the clock 7 days a week.
I have a son and we are in cub scouts, I am the leader of his group and later he plays soccer and I go to all of his games.
I live for hunting season, mostly deer and squirrel and last year took up predator hunting. We fish and camp, build model train scenery, paint, draw and I write stories, mostly fantasy/adventure stories. I like to stay busy and sometimes I just like to take it easy and just nap.

Cuttin' & Curing My Own Deer Jerky,

This response submitted by 458okie on 03/17/2004 at 11:09. ( deerhearse@hotmail.com ) 204.87.68.252

Hiking, camping, used to be a Royal Rangers (sorta like Boy Scouts) Commander, fishing, hunting, Coaching Youth Baseball (Coach Pitch), Canoeing, Sitting around hypnotized by a campfire, knife-making, leatherworking, cutting and curing my own deer jerky (oh, I already said that!), puttering around in the garage, assembling crap (like the new garage door opener I installed this past weekend!), porking out on Cool Ranch Doritoes (when I have a day off from the Atkins diet), farting around on the Web, Godzilla movies, keeping the "Deer Hearse" runnin' (my old 1983 Ford F-150, with topper and deer camp already set up in the back!), watching my boy play baseball, my daughter's musical aspirations, trading "back-scratchin's" with both kids and my wife, and thanking God for it all! And stuff I probably haven't thought of like my secret marinade for succulent deer steaks over pecan smoke on the grill this weekend!

You all sound like a fascinating fraternity of taxidermists!

Jeff "458okie" Wickstrom
(thought, "what the heck" I'll put my real name with the web-handle!)

Stress Relief Interests

This response submitted by Mark H on 03/17/2004 at 11:13. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.204.8

TC, I also study Tae Kwon Do. Have since 1982. The last two years I have started Muay Tai kick fighting and love it. I am the oldest (43) in our club who competes. Last March took 1 gold and 1 silver in Canada and made the world team to fight in Athens Greece This April. Unfortunately was in bad car crash in August so haven't been fighting since. Going nuts cause now I'm a little better I am 4 months behind my taxidermy work schedule. Hope to be released to fight by May or June or at least start working out again.

Also an avid hunter and love to follow my kids around and watch them play their sports. Since I'm rambling on I'll brag about my kids. I have 15 and 17 year old sons who both are pitchers one leftie and one rightie. They both signed free agent prospect cards with San Francisco Giants two months ago. My oldest pithced against a college team when he was 14 1/2. My daughter plays volleyball, basketball and fastpitch all on select travel teams as well as in school, she is 13. Most of our vacations are scheduled around where our children will be playing.

I know there will be skeptics to my ramblings like there was for the wrestling dad but I know and I'm very proud of my children.

Goodness

This response submitted by bill on 03/17/2004 at 13:20. ( wildlifepreservestaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 66.250.5.14

I play golf, bowl, hunt when I can, raise sheep, chickens & cows, I am a High School baseball Umpire and I work at a Steel Mill. Somewhere between all that I make time for Taxidermy.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu