Look whats happening in England

Submitted by JOhn C on 03/16/2004 at 23:52. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Are Anti-Piracy Laws Getting Out of Hand?

Think your home is your castle? Maybe not, at least not if you live in Europe. Last week, BBC News reported that the European Parliament has passed an anti-piracy law, by a vote of 330 to 151, that would allow companies holding copyright to raid homes, seize property and ask courts to freeze bank accounts of those they believe have violated their intellectual property rights. For the story, see:
http://www.winxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=040316ED-Anti-Piracy

This goes even further than laws proposed in the U.S. Congress that would allow copyright holders to hack into the computers of those they suspect of violating their copyrights and delete the files. Many see that as an invasion of privacy, but it's nothing compared to giving a private company the right to enter your home without your permission.

There's no doubt that copyright violation can be a serious problem for those who make their livings creating intellectual property. Laws around the world recognize their right to control and profit from their creations. But traditionally, the method for enforcing those rights was through the civil court system. Now violation of copyright has become a criminal matter, and even worse, lawmakers are sanctioning a form of vigilante justice when they give the victims the right to take enforcement action themselves. Can you imagine this happening in any other type of case? If I think Joe Jones stole was the one who stole my TV set, should I have the legal right to break down his door myself and retrieve it (putting aside for a moment the utter stupidity of doing so)? If this is going to be done at all, shouldn't it be left up to trained law enforcement agents, and only after a properly issued court order?

What do you think? Is this another instance of anti-piracy laws getting out of hand? Or is it a reasonable response to the growing incidence of intellectual property theft?

A company breaking into your house? Not mine!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Glad It's not here

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 03/17/2004 at 10:48. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 198.81.26.46

I'd sure hate to kill someone just because they entered my home without my permission. But I would
Tony

Here I Go! ---- Dr. Doom .

This response submitted by Mr KIM on 03/17/2004 at 12:14. ( ) 152.163.252.36

I predict that "you haven't seen nothing--yet!" Time will tell in most all things but I can assure you that from all indicators, very bad things are headed our way here in the U.S. Some are already here and most people should start getting a taste of the so-called "Patriot act" when the Government sees fit to enforce it AGAINST the CIVILIAN POPULATION. Wait and see. It WILL happen.---and has already been used against the average citizen just to circumvent the judicial process.

Enough of that stuff. How are the taxidermy mounts going? got everything done yet?

I don't either, so off to work I go.......

MR KIM

If we get another attack I suspect

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/17/2004 at 15:01. ( ) 63.115.128.188

freedom will be harder to find. However the way things are I don't think things will get much worse.

Gotta go. There are several guys outside with FBI on their jackets. Gotta see what they want. LOL

Check your dollar bill

This response submitted by Jerry on 03/17/2004 at 15:10. ( ) 68.171.167.133

The Latin phrase on the back which translates "new world order" isn't there for decoration.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu