Let's Get This Straight

Submitted by Jan George on 03/18/2004 at 23:49. ( turkeylady@jangeorge.com ) 68.58.152.160

TAXIDERMIST is singular. TAXIDERMISTS is plural. I see this mistake all the time and it grates my soul. All taxidermist welcome, the Acme Taxidermist Assoc., taxidermist need to unite against... Gee, one taxidermist can't make much of a difference but a bunch of TaxidermistS can. Has anyone else noticed this mistake? Sorry folks, but bad spelling and grammar is about the only thing that I have a problem with. Other than that, I am pretty easy to get along with! In my senior Composition class, I fell asleep and the teacher wrote me a "pass" to go outside and walk around the school building. Kind of got my attention.
Jan George

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

LOL Jan, then you're in BIG trouble here

This response submitted by George on 03/18/2004 at 23:54. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.166

Often times my fingers get faster than my feeble mind and I misspell, but on here, you'll see it all. Some with no capitals nor punctuation. Other's don't know "your" from "you're". We "unthaw" things here "irregardless" and they still don't know that "alright" is "alwrong" even if it is that way in some dictionaries. Believe me, I feel your pain, but I'm sating my anguish with the fact that I'm mastering a second language:taxidermist. LOL

Ah but Jan do you really think

This response submitted by Cecil on 03/18/2004 at 23:56. ( ) 63.115.128.188

"senior Composition class" is correct? LOL

All Right (except for Cecil)

This response submitted by Jan George on 03/19/2004 at 00:05. ( Turkeylady@jangeorge.com ) 68.58.152.160

I guess everything is ALL RIGHT with everyone except Cecil. Should I have said composition class in my senior year or Senior Composition class or what? Maybe I have met my match with you darlin', but just watch your p's and q's in your future posts. You know I love ya' man, but you just might catch me in the mood to call your teacher wife on you. LOL
Jan

you are a lucky women.

This response submitted by gill on 03/19/2004 at 00:19. ( ) 216.228.39.114

whoops I meen woman. dont get me started on the things that anoy me. ussen taxidermyists jus du da bess we kan. ( from the ETCC) dictionary. just kidding.
Gill

No, Cecil, it was correct and proper.

This response submitted by George on 03/19/2004 at 00:20. ( ) 152.163.252.166

Notice the lower case "s" in "senior" and the capital "C"
in "composition". In that case, the "senior" is simply an adjective modifying the proper name of the subject class. "Senior" used as an adjective does not have to be demonstrative and it need not explain whether it was "senior" high school, college, or kindergarten. Don't play games with things you know so little about. LMAO.

Just joshing you but...

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/19/2004 at 00:23. ( ) 63.115.128.188

it is funny that whenever someone comes on here and harps on grammar you can usually find at least one mistake in their own grammar. LOL

I'll let you think about your little booboo. Lets just say it has has something to do with capitalization or a lack of.

You are a great writer though. I remember some of your articles in our newsletter. I loved your stories.

P.S. I went over this four or five times to make sure I didn't make a mistake but I probably did. LOL

By George!

This response submitted by The Rookie on 03/19/2004 at 01:18. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 64.12.117.21

Jan makes a very valid point. I hope more taxidermist will examine this. Piece- Jeff F.

My 2 scents...

This response submitted by Doug on 03/19/2004 at 07:06. ( ) 64.18.236.192

If you're like George, being very articulate and have a great command of proper english, reading posts that are full of mistakes is annoying. Those who point out poor english are quick to be put down as condescending and arrogant. My advise is two just grin and bare it.(LMAO)

Nice try at BSing George ! LOL

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/19/2004 at 07:16. ( ) 63.115.128.150

The fact is, "Composition" in this case is not a proper noun and has nothing to do with modifying, used as an adjective, etc. so it is not captilized. In fact, according to my boss (a foreign lanquage teacher) high school classes are not captilized except if they are also a language; such as English class, Spanish class etc., which are proper because they are a language.

I must say you sounded convincing George, but no enchilada. That's a compliment coming from another BSer.

God, isn't our language fun!

I knew it!

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/19/2004 at 07:18. ( ) 63.115.128.150

I put a "q" in language instead of a "g." I know better!

Of course that was just a typo. Most certainly! LOL

Walking on egg shells

This response submitted by Travis on 03/19/2004 at 07:38. ( ) 68.102.253.173

Thre was a stdy dne a few yers ago that provd you coud leav out sevrl leters in a sentnce and peple could stll understnd wat you wer writing....LOL...

Anyway(s) should be something more important to gripe about

This response submitted by John C on 03/19/2004 at 09:09. ( ) 66.233.157.155

There is not a s attached to anyway, Jan this is this correct?

Also the word AXE in place of ASK?

Cecil, NOW who's BSing

This response submitted by George on 03/19/2004 at 09:17. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.21

You can't gargle peroxide and talk at the same time. "Composition" many not be a class in YOUR opinion, but for the sentence structure to be valid, that's NOT your call. She could have used "Animal Husbandry", or "Homophobia", or even "Liberal" and it been correct if in the WRITERS judgement, that was the name of the class. Her act of using capitalization made the name a "proper noun". It being valid or not has ZIP to do with sentence structure. Where's that 135 IQ of yours when you need it? LMAO When you can't dazzle them with brilliance you don't have to resort to baffling them with bullsh1t.

And while I'm on a roll

This response submitted by George on 03/19/2004 at 09:26. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.117.21

Cecil, the information you used is today's PC way of thinking. I've noticed that "navy", "air force", "army", "marines" are no longer capitalized in todays journalism. That doesn't make it right. The RULE in grammar was that if a name IMPLIED a proper name, it was capitalized. The New York Times using "army" certainly implies the U.S. Army unless otherwised stated. This has all come about in the "new world order" as you referenced the input from a "foreign language teacher". English is both a class and a country/nationality and PROPER English rules have NOT changed, just their PC interpretation. When one is speaking of their own mother, the "M" is capitalized, is it not? You don't have to precede it with the adjective "my" for it to be capitalized and for it to be correct. THAT is implied simply by the fact of the writer saying it(i.e. "I went across town and picked up Mother.") So, being an American veteran, I would think that when I say that I retired from the Air Force, it would certainly be IMPLIED that it was to the U.S. Air Force which I was referring.

Doug

This response submitted by Superpig on 03/19/2004 at 10:22. ( ) 198.81.26.46

Now I know, I am only a poor little immigrant who rowed her boat across the great pond to come to America, but the word advice as you used it, shouldn't it be spelled advice with a c rather then advise with an s? Advice being a noun, while advise being the verb. Or do I have this mixed up also like so many things in my life? And talking about this one being a run on sentence here. Whoaa. LOL. Just kidding.

George, I never stray far from my dictionary because of you. Thanks to you my vocabulary is increasing with each post. LOL

Is this correct?

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/19/2004 at 10:23. ( ) 66.82.9.56

She wrote, "Sorry folks, but bad spelling and grammar is about the only thing that I have a problem with."

I would have written it, "Sorry folks, but bad spelling and grammar are about the only things I have a problem with."

But, she's right. I'm by no means perfect, but I also cringe sometimes at the grammar, punctuation and spelling. But not enough to let it bother me much.

Travis, thanks for the enlightenment! I had no problem at all reading that sentence quickly.

Superpig(LOL)

This response submitted by The Rookie on 03/19/2004 at 10:52. ( ) 152.163.252.166

Because of this confounded site, I have a dictionary sitting by my computer 24/7. But that doesn't help the puntuation much so you'll have to deal with it. It's good to know I'm not alone. Piece- Jeff F.

Isn't this in the arkives?

This response submitted by marty on 03/19/2004 at 11:00. ( ) 67.173.51.16

My two more recent favorites are "loosing" (vs. losing) and "defleshing". Sort've like "unthaw" I guess - lol!

Cecil, I do believe George is correct on this one as far as Composition with a capital "C" goes. And furthermore, I take what many teachers say with a grain of salt. Granted my kids are only in Elementary school (capital "E" right?), but you would not believe the grammatical and spelling errors I constantly read coming from their teachers. (run on sentence, right?)

"They're" vs. "there" (or "their") along with "are" vs. "our" are some more goodies!

I use to whine about this too. But I've come to the conclusion that taxidermists in general fared much better in Art class than they did in Grammar...

Usage should be considered

This response submitted by PA on 03/19/2004 at 11:15. ( ) 147.72.68.109

While I will admit that I also do not do a good job at spelling, there is most probably a dictionary, which would state that Taxidermist could be both plural and singular - kind of like Deer and Deer. When a word ends in an ist, it seem in my in many cases that plural would work. Take for instance the Taxidermist(s) associations in Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma and Virginia. Evidently each association must only have ONE member - or else as Mr. Roof points out, taxidermists speak a different language.

I am guilty of playing "spelling policeman" on occasion but try to just read the words as they are intended to be spelled. When I do open my mouth, I usually regret it afterwards.

Geeze. We got a blonde on here?

This response submitted by Doug on 03/19/2004 at 11:18. ( ) 64.18.236.216

I used "scents' for "cents," "advise" for "advice, "two" for "too," and "bare" for "bear," and she thinks I just used the wrong one ONCE...unintentionally. LMAO! Sp, what color is your hare?(ROTFLMAO!)

!Everyone has their pet peves

This response submitted by Tenbears on 03/19/2004 at 11:29. ( ) 205.188.116.146

I have said this before. and still believe. I have to laugh (to myself) when someone uses Pacific In place of Specific. But notice I said to myself. I have a good friend that owns an auto body shop. He is the uncontested Master of the spray gun. His work is as art. To talk to him one would believe him to be a highly educated man. He is articulate, well versed. and a pleasure to converse with. However when he writes an estimate. one can hardly understand it. His spelling is atrocious. The point is Not every one's mind works in the same fashion. Some people are predisposed to have stronger portions of their brain. the part that works best, often becomes More developed then the part that is slightly behind. though such an individual uses the stronger portion of their brain to compensate for their shortcomings. I do realize that exercise of the weaker portion would make it strong, but for most humans, it is natural to utilize what they have better command of, than to develop what is week. Many of you have seen my analogies in the past. So I will not post them again. but because someone is weak in spelling or grammar. Does not mean they are stupid. However pointing it out at every opportunity surely is rude.
I realize that with the advent of the computer and the Internet. More people write the English language than ever before. However there are still a great many people that were raised in a time long before the computer was conceived. I am a poor speller myself. Yet I managed to attain a masters degree. To talk to me I am sure none would realize Just how poorly My spelling is. But when I talk I rarely spell. I Talk! I grew up speaking another language. It was not until I went to school that I had to learn English. Which was extremely difficult to learn to speak, let alone spell. Yet I am fluent in 3 languages. and can Manage in 3 others. It is nice to be confident in ones abilities. And I can see where those proficient in something can see, and be irritated by those who are not. I am sure those who spell and have good grammar think, how can someone be so poor in something so simple. yes, it is simple for them. But may not be for others. There are areas that individuals who cannot spell well are experts in. Maybe Cars. Some of the great spellers may think well, who cares about motor head junk. But remember the motor heads think so who cares if I can spell it. I can do it. How would you feel If You said the little thingy that opens my valves is broken. And I made a post telling how it irritated me that people who drive cars have no idea what a cam shaft is. Or those of you who have a bit of knowledge say they have a hot 66 chenille with a 350 that has a 3/4 race cam. What is a 3/4 race cam? Only works 3/4 way around the race track? or what. Cam shaft performance is defined by lift, and duration. My suggestion is. Let he among you who is without sin. Cast the first stone.

George admit you are wrong and get over it!

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/19/2004 at 13:10. ( ) 63.115.128.150

LMAO

This is almost as bad as politics. BTW, foreign lanquage teachers can't fake grammar. They have to be a master it and teach it. End of story.

You are the master BSer in my book. Forever fond of you. LOL

A "master" huh?

This response submitted by George on 03/19/2004 at 14:40. ( ) 205.188.116.146

Known a lot of them, never liked many of them as they always managed to fit their accolades into the conversation. I'm NOT a master, but any "master" that truly knew anything would know that what I said is grammatically correct. Sorry, neither you nor your teacher can handle that. Life's a bitch sometimes Cecil, and you seldom win so give it up. You were wrong, now be adult enough to admit it. (Yeah, I can hardly wait till THAT day would come.) LMAO You believe what you want Cecil, but I'll stick with what's brought me this far if you don't mind.

John C

This response submitted by RC on 03/19/2004 at 14:48. ( ) 65.227.248.11

Axe is the proper pronunciation of ask in Ebonics, I here it all the time .

Now now Doug

This response submitted by Superpig on 03/19/2004 at 15:11. ( ) 198.81.26.46

No need to tawlk bad about me putiful hare. Dey change color according to the type of post I answer and the time of day. I was athinkin' dat dey were quite on the dark side dis mowning but mabee they wasn't. My bad.

Dang, mispelling words is harder then spelling them right. Where's my dictionary? I need to look up accolades? LMAO

George, my excuse for not admitting to be wrong is..,

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/19/2004 at 17:25. ( ) 63.115.128.150

I'm not wrong. What's you excuse? LOL

I think the day you admit to be wrong hell will freeze over. I stand corrected all the time but not this time.

AC KOWLADEZ! (ETCC's dickshunairy)

This response submitted by Dug on 03/19/2004 at 17:35. ( ) 64.18.236.146

Ed tawt me two spell eny wurd and eye apreesheeightit. Emale me if U nead moar hellp sooperpig! (LMAO)

Cecil, I never argue about things I'm not familiar with

This response submitted by George on 03/19/2004 at 18:33. ( ) 205.188.116.146

Can you say that truthfully? I was wrong once in my life. I did something I thought was wrong but then found out it was right after all. LOL

Wow

This response submitted by Paul I on 03/19/2004 at 19:20. ( paulblastoatyahoo.com ) 209.210.32.102

I just made it threw high school and Im not very good at writing myself.At this point in my life I find that people who try to pick on others are at a bad point in their lives and not very happy.My two cents. PS I do not care if I spelled it ok

Excellent Point Paul

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 03/20/2004 at 00:49. ( ) 63.115.128.150

Who really give a flying chuck? There are more important things in life than if someone spells something wrong or their grammar is perfect.

spelling?

This response submitted by rs/bm on 03/20/2004 at 09:33. ( ) 205.188.116.146

and all this time I thought it was because you all didn't type any better than I do.

In the Grand Scheme of Things

This response submitted by George on 03/20/2004 at 09:47. ( ) 205.188.116.146

I have to admit that both Cecil and Paul are right in the end. BUT the written word is often a window into the soul of a person. People who USUALLY tend to write well, end up being more studious in their work. With artists, that's usually NOT true, but it's simply a carry-over in that way of thinking.

If you watch ESPN, they are selecting an amateur to do Sportscenter for one year. One guy had a great voice and great delivery, but to a person, the panel told him to "Get a haircut". I was a little shocked till I realized these were not jocks on the panel, but business people and business often holds workers to a much different standard than the PC world would.

Personally, I love the English language. I've been to dozens of different places and conned my way through their languages, but for a dialect that incorporates ALL languages into a fluent, articulate, and descriptive narrative, English would be hard to beat.

what about...

This response submitted by Bonnie S. on 03/20/2004 at 14:24. ( ) 204.119.21.52

the people that use ALL CAPS every single time they type>? those get on my nerves, its like they are shouting!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu