Fugitive Varmints- In North Carolina?

Submitted by Susan on 03/19/2004 at 19:46. ( designhabitat@earthlink ) 165.247.189.239

Have any of ya'll ever created a varmint from scrap whitetail deer hide(Marvin the Martian, a Moon Booger, or just a fantasy creature from your imagination..)? I have been told that I can make as many of these things as I want-to keep or giveaway, but I can't recoup my labor costs-legally! What do you think, or know about these laws in North Carolina? Any ideas on how I can get something on paper relating to this(other than my local wildlife officer)? I can't get a straight answer from anybody, and being "sent from pillar to post" for the last 3 weeks is getting mighty OLD fast...Keep in mind that some of these forms are commercially sold through our supply houses.The question didn't come up until someone saw one of my originally sculptured and mounted "Swamp Boogers". HELP me please! I'm feeling mighty creative, and need to carve or sculpt something..LOL. -Susan

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Try this

This response submitted by Paul I on 03/19/2004 at 20:16. ( paulblastoatyahoo.com ) 209.210.32.102

Go to yahoo and type in north carolina dnr fur rules.Scroll down to number three hit and its a post from Amy on here from the archives.Lots of good advice in the posts.Good luck

www.sips.state.nc.us

This response submitted by john c on 03/19/2004 at 21:44. ( ) 66.233.157.155

start at that link.

No need to go on a wild goose chase.

This response submitted by Bill K. on 03/20/2004 at 00:19. ( klager@nvc.net ) 64.68.172.113

Just ask him to sight the law he speaks of. If an officer says that something is illegal, it's in writing somewhere. The laws are not a secret, only for the eyes of the CO's. In fact, if they are not accessible to everyone then they are not valid.

Send a formal WRITTEN request to his supervisor asking for the number of the law or rule that he is referring to and read it yourself. Chances are, it is illegal to sell "deer or parts thereof". Can you sell capes? Trappers sell fur all the time. Are they breaking the law?

Who told you it was illegal? What exactly is it that you, supposedly, are not allowed to sell? I seriously doubt that their is a law that says you can sell swamp boogers.

If an officer say it's illegal you don't believe him then ask for the number of the law and LOOK IT UP! It's easy. Don't let allow them to make things up. They do it all the time!

Fugitive Varmints

This response submitted by Susan on 03/20/2004 at 22:55. ( designhabitat@earthlink ) 165.247.181.17

It was the local wildlife officer. I was told that it was illegal to sell deer parts"out of context";meaning that it is made out of deer parts-but doesn't represent the true picture of what a deer looks like. I haven't advertised them, and they are made from scrap hide left over from deer shoulder mounts.I figured I was just creatively recycling. I put deer antlers on some-others I don't. A few of my friends/customers have brought in a complete hide (when only getting a shoulder mount done) just to see what I'd come up with. Anyway, on a return trip they (two of them) seized the three I had been working on for the past year(less and less free time to play at it). The CITATION reads as to be "for the sale of two whitetail deer".The previous officer-since retired-saw them and thought they were a hoot! No, none of the forms I used were sold commercially-I made them myself using a cosmotology manequine as the base and poured foam on it,then sculpted it,made my earliners,used special doll eyes, and mounted it.I even called one of them "Me on a bad day". Meaning it had horns, fangs, and claws, with albino eyes.Sound like anybody you know? --Susan

Go up the chain

This response submitted by Paul I on 03/21/2004 at 06:06. ( paulblastoatyahoo.com ) 209.210.133.10

Susan you need to go up higher in the chain of command.The higher you go you will find someone with common sense.Your doing nothing wrong and I agree with Bill.I think in your state they know alot more about fish then fur.I would also contact a lawyer as your not a criminal and should not be treated this way.You will win in the end.

Fugitive Varmints..

This response submitted by Susan on 03/21/2004 at 19:15. ( designhabitat@earthlink ) 165.247.190.164

Hi guys! The officers concerned with the action taken against me have told me that,left up to them-they wouldn't have pushed it. Since the answer needed clarification and they had to go to their supervisor,then the "higher authority" assigned their course of action-"give her a citation".The officers I spoke to assured me that they would talk to the judge(as being in my favor)-and tell him/her how cooperative we have been when inspection of our records and establishment have been requested, how well our records are kept up-to-date and accurate, and that the information about my "swamp boogers" was forthright and honest. We basically have two new officers"on the job",they seem to honestly want to help-and believe me when I say I didn't think it would be wrong. When asked, the State Wildlife Biologist said that they are two of the 'good guys'.I have to admit I was worried enough to speak to a couple of lawyers. Both sorta brushed me off& didn't take me seriously. I TAKE THIS VERY SERIOUSLY! One of the officers said that I could loose my hunting license for a while, or permanently..? I always purchase my sportsmans license so I can hunt AND fish..I hope this isn't the end of our having fish-frys.. I know I need to go on a diet, but this is the WRONG WAY!I'm still looking for a lawyer that will take me seriously...seems like I remember designing a habitat for a lawyer..-I will hang in there(not UP there). Wish me luck-Susan

Tried to e-mail

This response submitted by A.E. Walsh on 03/22/2004 at 09:02. ( adventuremethodsATaol.com ) 205.188.116.149

Susan:

I tried to send oyu a message but it was returned. Not much info other than what I've posted in a new post titled "Your Career & Reputation vs. The Law" on this forum.

Good luck to you,

Abe Walsh

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu