Chronic Wasting Disease Spreading In Wisconsin

Submitted by Jeff on 03/20/2004 at 16:47. ( ) 64.12.117.13

Chronic Wasting Disease
Spreading In Wisconsin
From Patricia Doyle, PhD
dr_p_doyle@hotmail.com
3-20-4

According to the assessment of the rapid diagnostic tests, there would not be "false positives" as mentioned in the previous CWD (Wisconsin) update.

The statement below indicates more chance for false negatives. In other words, a deer who has contracted CWD might not test positive.

This information then clarifies the article posted yesterday regarding the increase in CWD cases in Wisconsin and indicates that many more CWD ARE BEING identified with the tests. In other words, CWD is on the rise dramatically.

Patricia Doyle

A ProMED-mail post
ProMED-mail, a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
http://www.isid.org

Date: 18 Mar 2004

There seems to be a minor error concerning the interpretation of the diagnostic properties of the IDEXX HerdChek for CWD. A sensitivity of 98.8 percent and specificity of 100 percent would suggest no false-positive results, but a small proportion of false-negative results.

Perfect specificity would be a little unusual given the nature of the detection platform. I tend to be cautious when interpreting sensitivity and specificity estimates independent of information concerning the sample size, sample selection, and gold standard determination.

--
Geoffrey T. Fosgate DVM, PhD, DACVPM
Assistant Professor, Epidemiology
Department of Veterinary Anatomy and Public Health
College of Veterinary Medicine
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-4458
<GFosgate@cvm.tamu.edu>

[ProMED-mail appreciates Dr. Fosgate's correction and agrees with his
caution regarding the manufacturer's claim of perfect specificity. -
Mod.LM]

Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=emergingdiseases
Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

GRRRRRRR

This response submitted by Vic on 03/20/2004 at 16:59. ( ) 66.84.232.172

I was surprised at the 1st article. A false negetive will give them more reason to eradicate or reduce the herd. Do they have a clue what they are doing, while spending so much doing it?

Here we go again

This response submitted by Len on 03/20/2004 at 17:53. ( lengums@wi.rr.com ) 24.209.159.239

Hi Jeff, Your finger must be on the "panic button" again. If you like to read reports so much, then read the report dated March 16,2004, from the "Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Labratory" , which does all the "official" testing of CWD in Wisconsin.You can find this report by looking under "dnr.state.wi.us/" and going to the CWD section. It is interesting to note that Wisconsin, in their 2003/04 testing session, identified 159 of 9476 samples as suspect of CWD after the first sample using your IDEXX test method. The IHC(GOLD) method(the most accurate method of detecting CWD) was then used on these 159 deer and only "46" tested positive for CWD.The new IDEXX test, which may be refined in the future to test for CWD, is 71% INACCURATE at this time.ALso, the 46 deer that were found to be tested positive, were all in the existing CWD zones.
Now the Wisconsin DNR has always said that CWD would probably show up in other areas of the state as more testing is done and more is learned about CWD. We have less than 2% of the deer at this time showing positive for CWD. The DNR here also has a very extensive program for trying to control CWD and is probably doing more than any other state on research of CWD. I would like to know what you are doing to help control CWD?
I realize you must have an agenda, but please get your facts straight.

Jeff, you hung up with this Dr. Doyle?

This response submitted by George on 03/20/2004 at 17:57. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.80

And you mean that the University of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and all those other fine schools don't have qualified biologists so they had to go to TEXAS A&M? Get real. I've talked to several people, one in particular who works with the Wisconsin DNR and he reports that the information you've been putting here is pure crap. Now I can't say as I don't know, but you need to come up with a better source (LIKE SOMEONE FROM WISCONSIN) than someone from Texas A&M.

Oh mighty George Speaks---------------

This response submitted by Wagner on 03/21/2004 at 11:17. ( ) 205.188.116.148

George I know you are a good person but you as well as several others always seem to need attention and want to give advice and information that (is suppose to)come from a "superior" source. PLEASE STOP THINKING THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY WAY AND LIGHT FOR TAXIDERMISTS AND OTHERS.

George why don't we just let YOU POST EVERYTHING AND DO EVERYTHING.
You seem to be so sure of yourself and all that you do.

Had no idea information went from GOD to GEORGE to everyone else on Earth.

Mad are we

This response submitted by Len on 03/21/2004 at 13:47. ( lengums@wi.rr.com ) 24.209.159.239

Hi Wagner, George must have pushed the right button to get you to reply.I do feel a little left out here as George is correct here in this matter. As I read your post, I see you have nothing to present on this matter that would make you a good resource to rely good. :')

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu