Hawks and Owls

Submitted by Randy on 03/21/2004 at 14:08. ( ) 12.163.64.116

I was reading some old hunting rules and regulations. A Michigan fishing and hunting guide 1941. It was interesting at that time there was a no closed season you could take all you wanted of hawks owls crows except eagles and osprey. Does anyone know why they are so proteced now and what year did the law change? We need a season on them now. Where I live in the UP of Michigan they do a lot of damage the rabbits sharptail ruffgrouse sprucehen are almost gone do to them. Plus the Prairie chicken are gone. In 1941 you could legly take 5 prarie chickens a day. Also the cormorants are getting so populated I believe there are more cormorants than fish up here. I dont understand why the preditors are so procted and the prey not being cared about. Also now they have planted wolves martins fishers. What the heck is going on. The sportsmen and women are the wons paying the bills for the licence fees. To hunt and fish what? No management. Why was the DNR set up? Also the us fish and wildlife service? We need to do some changes. This area was a paridise until we let a few people make all the desisions. I took in no birds at all this year. I have no fish to do from this area. I think my total was 5 fish. No deer also a total of around 12 from this area. If I didnt get some jobs from out of the area I would have closed this year. But I am looking elsewhere to do some business. What can we do anything could help instead of just sitting back and saying nothing or it hasent affected me so who cares. We have to look at what is good for everyone not just me. Any sugestions? Randy D.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

March 1972

This response submitted by Old Fart on 03/21/2004 at 15:42. ( ) 64.122.57.100

I mounted a lot of owls and a few hawks up til then. If they didn't have all these rules to enforce, what would they do to justify their paychecks?

Srinking Cormorants.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 03/21/2004 at 15:58. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I have to agree with shooting them. Everywhere I see them, not just on one flyway either, millions on the Central flyway, and even in the Ozarks where there are few ducks. What gives. Someone is not doing what the law was designed to do.

Oh, if life were so simple

This response submitted by George on 03/21/2004 at 17:58. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.165

Randy, I'm old enough to remember when you were ENCOURAGED to shoot vultures. They were supposed to vector anthrax of all things. But those days have long been gone.
Currently, you're seeing the migration of hawks, eagles, and owls on the UP. It happens every year. Sadly, their demise wouldn't solve your problem. Raptors do kill many birds (song birds, pigeons, crows, and starlings as well), but the problem with the loss of the grouse is both environmental and predation. Raccoons, weasels, minks, skunks, foxes, and bobcats/lynx take a terrible toll on ground nesting birds. The fur trade is a skeleton of what it once was and since there's little demand, no one traps. Raptor populations rise and fall with their prey but varmints just rise. With no predators of their own, they just continue to multiply and become human tolerant to eat scraps, garbage, and hand outs from little old ladies. Clean up your furbearer populations and the raptors will be insignificant.

Now John, your cormorants are a whole nuther issue. They, too, have no natural predators and have multiplied well beyond their design. Something IS going to have to be done with that pest.

Some dont migrate

This response submitted by Randy on 03/21/2004 at 20:46. ( ) 12.163.64.138

George
We have hawks and owls that dont migrate. Like great grey horned and goss hawk for example. Also we have ducks that dont migrate but a lot do but there is still a season on them including meganzers. Some of these must be taken out. Just last year I raised pheasants and turkeys and most of them were taken by birds of prey. I dought if I will raise any more to let run loose. Its a losing battle. But we can shoot ducks grouse pheasants rabbits Skunks groundhogs porkypine and so on but we cant shoot birds of prey? The laws need to be changed especially in Rural areas. This is a fact not a fairy tale. Randy D.

Lake Ontairio

This response submitted by Jeff C on 03/23/2004 at 01:18. ( ) 68.170.133.43

I'm not positive but i think each state can apply for some type of license to reduce cormorant populations. I know that N.Y. was givin the ok to reduce the population on lake ontairio. This was after a bunch of fisherman took matters into thier own hands.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu