who will be able to answer that ?

Submitted by yasmine on 03/26/2004 at 09:14. ( ) 194.254.131.72

what is the difference between a skin, a hide and a pelt ?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Same Thing

This response submitted by Old Fart on 03/26/2004 at 10:01. ( ) 64.122.137.11

They are different words for the same thing. The term "pelt" would most likely be applied to a furbearer, like a mink, fox, or beaver as they are prepared for the fur market. When a trapper "pelts" an animal it is usually case skinned without feet.
In Taxidermy terms, a "hide" will generally refer to anything that does not have a head and feet and would not be a mountable skin. The term "lifesize" applies to any skin that has the head and feet that would be suitable for a mount.

about hide

This response submitted by yasmine on 03/26/2004 at 10:12. ( ) 194.254.131.72

are you sure about the word "hide"? coz I find it so many times in taxidermy magazines and it seemed to refer to the skin which will be mounted.
? why did you talk about lifesize ? you mean a lifesize skin?

Cape

This response submitted by MichelleW on 03/26/2004 at 10:30. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 209.214.64.137

The word Cape is generaly refered to the skin that will be used for a shoulder mount of an animal. that would be the skin from the shoulder to the head (no feet). A hide is referd to the animals skin which you will not mount ( like old fart said) it doesn't have head or feet. Life size means you will mount the entire animal, from head to tail. We generally refer to lifesize as skins. Hope this helps

Yasmine, Have you used the archives at all?

This response submitted by George on 03/26/2004 at 10:40. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.81

I know for a fact that John C posted that particular information some time back and like many of your questions, they are in there. I don't mind helping ANYONE, but I'd like to think they tried to help themselves a little bit first.

to george

This response submitted by yasmine on 03/26/2004 at 11:02. ( ) 194.254.131.72

I ve looked with the search button, I've written 'skin' and then 'pelt 'and then 'hide'
but i haven't found anything
maybe am i doing it the wrong way ? what should I write on this search button ?
I don't understood why a hide is a skin you don't mount, so what is the need to tan it ?

Taxidermy Words: Skin, Hide, and CAPE.

This response submitted by Mr. KIM on 03/26/2004 at 11:13. ( ) 205.188.116.138

Always ask about the definition of the suspected words being used as many "people" interchange them and there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding.

Well, let me see.......

A SKIN: Could mean a a life size mountable "skin." However the reference to being a complete life size skin is included in the description. Any portion thereof should be specific.

A HIDE: This is a "flat" hide with NO head or legs attached. This type of "hide" is referred to as a deer hide for tanning purposes, etc.

A CAPE: This means the "skin" of an animal from about five inches BEHIND the shoulder blades forward. This will provide enough of the "skin" referred to as a "CAPE" for a full shoulder Head Mount.

Hope that helps,

Mr. KIM

About the word "Pelt".-----forgot to post it.

This response submitted by Mr KIM on 03/26/2004 at 11:18. ( ) 205.188.116.138

A "pelt" is interchangeable with the definition of the word "skin" above. Again, get a specific meaning from the person using it.

Mr. KIM

The Use.......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 03/26/2004 at 12:23. ( ) 64.122.57.2

.....Of those three words "by themselves" is very vague in the taxidermy industry. Without further explaination, each term can mean a lot of different things, depending on how you use the term and who is using it.

Rugs

This response submitted by MichelleW on 03/26/2004 at 13:11. ( ) 209.214.64.214

Most people tan hides ( without feet and heads) is to make rugs out of them

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu