Cottonmouth snakes

Submitted by Todd B on 03/25/2004 at 19:41. ( ) 67.29.207.144

I was just wondering how hard it is to mount a cottonmouth? Also I am not yet sure of the legalities of obtaining one in Tennesee. I am going to Reelfoot Lake Sunday and hear there are alot of snakes there. If anyone knows anything about the area and snake info I would appreciate hearing from you.

Todd B

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Like all animals

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/25/2004 at 19:47. ( ) 24.128.109.191

If you have never mounted one it willbe difficult ar first. They are similiar to doing raTTLERS with subtle differences in facial structure and skin strength. the facial skin slips very very easily through heat transfer from your fingers. They are also very aggressive if yopu are thinking of catching one live. If you are not an experienced venemous snake catcher, dont screwwq with them or you'll end up in intnsive care in the ICU ward. There are plenty of them already dead through reptile supply houses that have caualties than risk getting bit trying to wrangle one! Ive caught probably a 1000 venemous snakes in my life, and cottons need special attention to their posturing and moods. Very aggresive under certain circumstances, and they will strike you well before you ever se them if inexperienced!

Like all animals

This response submitted by wetnwild on 03/25/2004 at 19:47. ( ) 24.128.109.191

If you have never mounted one it willbe difficult ar first. They are similiar to doing raTTLERS with subtle differences in facial structure and skin strength. the facial skin slips very very easily through heat transfer from your fingers. They are also very aggressive if yopu are thinking of catching one live. If you are not an experienced venemous snake catcher, dont screwwq with them or you'll end up in intnsive care in the ICU ward. There are plenty of them already dead through reptile supply houses that have caualties than risk getting bit trying to wrangle one! Ive caught probably a 1000 venemous snakes in my life, and cottons need special attention to their posturing and moods. Very aggresive under certain circumstances, and they will strike you well before you ever se them if inexperienced!

Even dead, they can bite

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/25/2004 at 20:16. ( ) 66.82.9.80

Beware the venom in dead venomous snakes!

Cottonmouths are wicked snakes. They even look mean. Like wetnwild said, they can be VERY aggressive. We have them along the creek behind the house (have killed 3 in the yard!). Their bite is also potentially deadly. Much more so than a copperhead. They give me the creeps...and I have 'pet' snakes!

Did anyone tell you they stink?

This response submitted by JOhn C on 03/25/2004 at 20:42. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Cottonmouths sometimes have a funky smell that dont wash off. I have done a few over the years and try to stay away from them, the stink is worse than Garder Snakes. I have also found as Tom said they slips scales fast, use tweezers to hold the skin while you work on them. They are also fairly strong. If you are going to catch them and dont have a lot of experience, use a plastic bucket with straw lined, to hold them. Also make yourself a catch pole, with pvc and a steel cable.. The cable should pull tight through the pipe and the end of the pipe needs a bit of padding to protect the snake.

Good luck and be carefull.

Thanks for all the responses.

This response submitted by Todd B on 03/25/2004 at 21:59. ( ) 65.56.10.146

I have done only one rattlesnake and that was years ago. I will probably not mess with trying to catch one thanks to your advice Tom. I appreciate all of you looking out for my safety ( I really mean it) I have caught some snakes in my day but none were venemous. Thanks again and I might look into a supply house like you mentioned and get me one.

Todd B

I'd forgotten that John

This response submitted by George on 03/25/2004 at 22:47. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.141

We don't have poisonous snakes here in Delaware, but in SC where I grew up, you could smell cottonmouths long before you saw them once you recognized that musky smell. Damn I'm getting old.

Best way to catch a moccasin

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/25/2004 at 23:44. ( ) 66.82.9.83

The best way I've seen to catch one will require you to purchase an artificial head for it....

good luck

This response submitted by mike on 03/26/2004 at 19:24. ( ) 152.163.252.167

todd be very careful im from s alabama and recieved a nice bite on my big toe it was nasty hospital 4 days foot looked like a football and was very very sick cotton mouth is no joke walked on crutches for months just was walking from swimming hole when it bit me well good luck and be careful...............mike

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu