Importing african

Submitted by Dan on 03/26/2004 at 13:07. ( Hasslehut ) 64.12.117.23

couldn't find the exact info in archives, I have a customer going to Africa;
...I may tan myself or recommend a tannery

1 any recommended tanneries?
2 Do I need any special paperwork?
3 would I need any additional paperwork if I decide to tan?
He plans on hunting, warthog,Kudu,Leopard,Zebra, and gemsbok
Thanks for any help,...Dan.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

It's in there

This response submitted by George on 03/26/2004 at 13:26. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.83

You either have to be an import agent (expensive if you aren't specializing in African and imported animals) OR the hunter will be required to claim his or her hides at the terminus of shipment. Hides CAN be shipped directly to tanneries with import permits. (I know Carolina Fur has one and can receive them.) As for you tanning them personally, I'd highly recommend you DIDN'T. They're likely going to be crap to start with and the less your personal involvement, the better off you are. MAKE SURE your hunter is standing right there when you open that box. Bill Yox gave me that advise once and it's the best I've ever gotten. The hides were TRASHED and had I opened them by myself, I'm sure the hunter would have blamed me.

U.S.D.A. approved tannery:

This response submitted by Brian on 03/26/2004 at 15:55. ( brianwlg@yahoo.com ) 216.111.205.31

Dan, I represent the Wildlife Gallery Inc. I can provide you with the proper paperwork to make your job much easier. We work with a number of clearinghouses that bring trophies from overseas into the states. I am sure you have other questions to ask. We are a full service tannery and can provide you with an excellently tanned skin. If you get in touch I will discuss this further. My phone number is 989-561-5369. Brian Nordland, Plant Manager.

Thanks

This response submitted by Dan on 03/26/2004 at 16:13. ( ) 152.163.252.166

great advice George, I don't want to get blamed for problems that are not my fault, Fortunately I have plenty of time to discuss this with the customer ahead of time!
Brian, I'll contact you in the near future, between my customer and myself we will be choosing a tannery. Thanks for your help!

South Texas Fur

This response submitted by Leslie on 03/26/2004 at 17:40. ( ) 208.180.126.206

South Texas Fur Dressing can handle everything for you. Give Tom a call at 361-578-8154.
Les

Wildlife Gallery

This response submitted by Tom Mirabile on 03/26/2004 at 20:17. ( ) 205.188.116.140

Dan,
Do yourself a big favor and don't even bother looking twice for a tannery.... use Wildlife Gallery. Give Brian a call you will not be sorry. Good turn around, great product, great people. You could eat of the flat hides great white buffed look to them. For mounting they have good stretch and soak up within a half hour with very little epidermal slip. You can't go wrong. Clearance into the States they are experts. Good luck.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu