Wild Horses (alive) Not Taxi Related !

Submitted by Carrie on 03/22/2004 at 08:25. ( MillersTaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 208.232.234.62

We have recently gotten two horses that are around 2 years and the other is 18 months. They were put in a pasture and never messed with. We have gotten halters on them and lead ropes which are off right now. Can anybody out there with horses help ? The older one keeps the younger one away from us and we have no way of seperatin them at the time. We are tryin to catch them and tie them to trees but that is a big job at the time. If u can help please please email me !

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Dont tie them to trees.

This response submitted by John C on 03/22/2004 at 11:15. ( taxidermist118@yahoo.com ) 66.233.157.155

They are possibly not trained to stand tied. You could be asking for a bad wreck!

Most horses are able to break the metal snaps with ease, horses are incredibly strong.

Since these horses have not been handled, the bigger horse is of course the boss. You really need t o build stalls for them to be feed in. This will allow you to seperate them at lest at feeding time.

Its going to take a bit or time and work for them to trust you, feed is a good way for this to happen. Its going to take time a lot of time. Feed them and set in a chair each time move a little closer.

Remember you have wild horses, they have to be trained. They are 20 times strong than you and not in your weight class.

There are a lot of trainers available and all methods are not as good as others.

You need to start with the John Lyons Ground Control Manual.http://www.johnlyons.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=3
Its pricey ($149.00) but I would not be without mine. Its a thick book loaded with training info. You also get a set of card bound by a steel ring that you can take to the barn or field with you.

Its also explains how to disipline horses.

John also have videos tapes availabile.

Traing a horse may not be your thing so to speak, its very rewarding, but like taxidermy you have a lot of people that are cheap in price and low in quality.
Should you decide to use someone thier month of training may infact just be a few hours per week. When they are less tham $400.00 per month I would have my doubts.

I will try to help you over the internet, Just ask. Over the years methods have changed for training horses.

Remember horses can be dangerous, they can kick, bite and stomp.

Horses like people all have different tempraments and personalities, etc.

If you are feeding the horses in the open, use two seperate feed pans and seperate them by 20 yards or even more. I seperate one of mine to the back side of the barn as the other horses will run him away from his feed if the see him.

Horse have a pecking order, be sure they do not put you under them in the pecking order!

Should you decide to use a round pen, there is a lot more to using a round pen than running the horse around until it is tired. Running the horse will only make it stronger and you tired!

There are a lot of ways to use the round pen for teaching lessons, these include teaching the horse to respect you, you teach the horse that is far better to be close to you and your friends than to be your enemy and have to move around the pen. You are even teaching the horse to turn from body commands, you are learning to read the horse. Each horse has a different level of sensitivity. Some horse take just a bit of your body laungauage others well you have to really move to turn them. You and they learn what it takes to stop them and park them along the rail.

Once you do this they normally become easier to handle and some will even decide they are your buddy forever.

Anyhow I can go on writing about horses they way I write about taxidermy. Dont let anyone tell you experience is the best teacher either! Remember horses can easily kill you or worse leaving you permently disabled.

Let me know if I can help you.

Or bite half your ear off

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/22/2004 at 16:43. ( ) 66.82.9.62

Makes me look like I'm half-elf! LOL!

No you did not have that happen?

This response submitted by John C on 03/22/2004 at 18:43. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I know a man that had half of his ear bit off.
If that happened You will be easy to spot at the next taxidermy show.
Henry tells everyone his mother is Vulcan.

Wild Horses

This response submitted by Amie Bane on 03/22/2004 at 19:34. ( amiembane@aol.com ) 205.188.116.68

Another thing you need to know is if one of them or both is still a stud. If so, you need to decide if you want to geld them or not. A gelding is usually calmer and more gentle to handle. If you have a mare, well I'm sorry. Just kiddin! Mares can be good horses but watch them during thier heat cycle. Which just means be on your toes and never turn your back to them. That is a good way to get a chunk taken from you. Also try not to show any fear. If they sense fear, they will react in fear and horses are flight animals. They will bolt on you. Once you gain thier trust they can be the best friend you ever had.Good Luck. Email if any questions. I have worked horses for seven years and might could answer a few questions or give advice.

John C

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/22/2004 at 23:03. ( ) 66.82.9.19

Yes, it did happen to me. The mare is a granddaughter of "Impressive." We'd not had her long when she foaled. It's a long story, but it ends with my resting my head on my arms on the edge of the stall, feeling a 'nibble' in my hair, assuming it's the foal, then feeling like I was hit in the head with a baseball bat! I ended up losing the outer ridge of my right ear with one quick bite. And got a $5,000 medical bill on top of it! I'm seriously considering re-naming her "Money Pit."

Ouch, I always tell me riding students this.

This response submitted by John C on 03/23/2004 at 10:35. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Horses will bite, kick and buck. Its going to happen, how bad you are hurt depends on how much attention you pay.
I am nursing a right index finger that was bitten last week, just the tip by the finger nail. I am glad its not a ear.

Amazing how hard and tuff horses are, they bite each other, kick each other with bites and kicks that would kill us.

John

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/23/2004 at 12:41. ( ) 66.82.9.15

What makes it worse, is I've raised horses for over 20 years and knew you cannot totally trust them (or any animal). She had laid her ears back, etc., and I knew better than to go into the stall she was in (it was about 12 x 24!). She was peacefully eating a short distance away from me, when I put my head down. (I was waiting on the hubby to get down to the barn.) The stall is solid wood halfway up, so she couldn't see anything but my head/arms (still, I'm sure she knew it was me there, and not some hairy critter on the rail!). Apparently, she slung her head, knocked me silly, and took a big bite on the rebound. Her upper teeth hooked on my ear, taking the edge off and actually tearing it away from my head at the top enough to take 3 or 4 stitches there. She pulled out a perfect circle of hair about the size of a golf ball on the crown. The whole right side of my head in that area swelled, bruised, etc. (guess she pulled the scalp away from the skull). Needless to say, it was rather painful.

To this day, I'm not sure what provoked the attack. I suspect the foal had wandered over and sniffed at my hair, she turned around, saw him close to my head, and attacked my head.

The surgeon said they've seen people that had their ENTIRE ear taken off by horses, so I was lucky.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu