to Bill K. about air cleaners

Submitted by Bill Yox on 03/30/2004 at 18:32. ( ) 209.130.221.59

I read your response about air filters/cleaners. Do you reccommend one model or type in particular? Can you mention names this time? Thanks!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

air filters, I would like to no also

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 03/30/2004 at 21:37. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 152.163.252.166

I to read the post, then I went to google and did a search. I was given lots to choose from, I did not find, in my quick search, any that said 100. Some said, 90% some 99.0%, I need one bad, I have wood, foam, bondo, plastics dust from cutting and sanding. I use a shop vac, as much as possible to catch dust, but the only thing is. They eventually get to where they start leaking dust. Any recommendation would be appreciated. rw

It's not "100 %". It's at least 100 CADR.

This response submitted by Bill K. on 04/01/2004 at 11:13. ( klager@nvc.net ) 64.68.173.247

It's not "100 %". It's at least 100 CADR.

In order to meet AHAM standards, they must have a least a 15 CADR ( just about worthless). Last I knew, the were being made up to about 450. You can commonly find them locally around 100- 200 CADR range.

Brand name aren't to important. Mine is a Honeywell but I believe they sold out to Holmes, not sure. When you see the ones that they compare on TV, you want the one that "they" say looses the challenge. If CADR doesn't enter into the comparison then it's just smoke and mirrors. It's all about the CADR! I have seen good and bad models in most companies. The design was often changed due to the out come of our test.

The square footage of the filter is what determines how often it needs to be replaced (or cleaned, they don't want you know that one). If the square footage is not on the box, just count the pleats in the HEPA and calculate how much filter you have.

I like the round ones. Mine machine looks like a 20 inch high UFO. I believe their is over 30 square feet of HEPA in it. I set it in the middle of my drying area to keep the air circulating in all directions. It doubles as a fan.

Additional information:
The carbon prefilters work well to catch the big stuff and that allows your HEPA to last longer before it clog up but don't rely on it to remove fumes the effects are minimal and the carbon looses its effectiveness quickly.

Interesting enough, the partials that actually bother you aren't as hazardous as you think. Your lungs usually encompass them with mucus and then they are expelled as you cough. It's the small one that float around for days that get deep into your lungs that accumulate in your system permanently. Your air cleaner will take care of them both.

Keep in mind that he CADR ratings are also taken with the machine on its highest setting.

Bill K.

Thank you Bill

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 04/02/2004 at 07:49. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 152.163.252.166

Thank you Bill for taking your time and giving the information. rw

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu