black panthers here in pa

Submitted by patsy on 03/31/2004 at 12:15. ( yippy_skippy19@hotmail.com ) 66.71.199.155

black panthers exsist in pa.pgc will probably argue this statement but several people have seen them. i have their tracks on camcorder. if anyone else has seen them please let me know. no, these people were sober when they saw this animal.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

<><>?<><>

This response submitted by EARL on 03/31/2004 at 12:51. ( ANT / TAX ) 68.82.185.179

What's the track difference between a cougar a huge bobcat and a blk panther.What proof is a track on a camcorder with out the maker ?..Just curious.Earl

Black Panthers Have never existed anyware

This response submitted by Mjvaden on 03/31/2004 at 13:13. ( Mjvaden@aol.com ) 64.12.116.138

I don't doubt you might have a panther (mountain lion) But a melanistic puma, panther, Mountain lion, Cougar. Has never existed. There has never been on shot, caught, trapped, photographed, filmed, or born in captivity. When you talk about black panthers what people are speaking of are melanistic Leopards or jaguars.

When I worked at the museum I had several people tell me the had seen one of those Florida Black panthers. 99% of them I think were lying but the one that were sincere I think probably saw something they thought was a panther at dusk. I myself have seen lots of animals at dusk that looked black but where not, thing just look that way at dusk.

The other thing is that a lot of people Me included see and animal they don't recognize and your brain assumes it is something else. For example on my first trip to Namibia I saw my first wild cheetah. The first thing that popped in to my mind was wolf! Then I shook my head and realized there are no wolfs in Namibia and realized it was a cheetah I was looking at.

At the Museum I can't tell you how many reports of Dead on the road Panthers, black panthers, monkeys, and even lions we had come in. We even had a report of a Pegasus HA! I do have to say though this was south Florida and we actually did pick up off the road 2 Ververt monkeys and one African lion that were road kill. Only in Florida.

Hope this helps, Michael Vaden

Michael, that's a pretty cavalier statement

This response submitted by George on 03/31/2004 at 13:46. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.138

I've never seen the wind but I know it exists. I'd NEVER say never in this world. I don't recall any albino cougars as well, but simple genetics tells us that it's POSSIBLE. If albinism is possible, melanism is simply the opposite end of the geneticism.

Just curious

This response submitted by Michelle W on 03/31/2004 at 14:29. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 209.214.64.74

When did they put fence around Florida? What would keep these animals from spreading? My Deisel Tachnology teaches has seen them twice. Once on his farm and another crossing the highway. This is in Georgia. If they are in Georgia whats keeping them from moving farther?

MichelleW / Michelle's Taxidermy

Making a panther

This response submitted by Mr KIM on 03/31/2004 at 16:19. ( ) 64.12.116.138

With a good black leather and hair dye, we can make any Mtn. Lion a "black panther."

Never seen a white Puma? Now you have!

This response submitted by Old Man on 03/31/2004 at 16:29. ( ) 63.241.157.113

http://www.bigcats.org/abc/catspecies/albinopuma.html

P.S. Never say Never

God Bless

I know they exist.....

This response submitted by BILL on 03/31/2004 at 18:49. ( ) 152.163.252.166

...had two Black Panthers steal my radio outta my Vette back in the 60"s...

Read the new Harpers magazine

This response submitted by The Taxidermologist on 03/31/2004 at 18:51. ( ) 67.165.66.83

There are those who believe there are Panthers/Cougars behind every tree in Pennsylvania, and there are those who don't think any wild one exists in the Commonwealth. The new Harpers, April 2004, has an article by a writer from Philadelphia who met with PA cat hunters, people from the Eastern Cougar group, a former biologist from the Florida Panther project, and Smithsonian Mammalogist, and others concerning the "wild cougars" in Pennsylvania and neighboring states. I spent a good part of a day last week with the writer who is beginning research on Akeley and Taxidermy for future articles and a possible book. The Harpers' article is an entertaining read but I would suggest you have a dictionary with you to understand the big words.

It all boils down to faith. If you believe it, no one will convince you otherwise, but there is no real scientific evidence of breeding populations. The Cougar believers are in general not much different than those that believe in Space ships and Aliens around us. They believe there is a conspiracy of the various Game Departments in Eastern states to suppress the evidence. Probably with Black Helicopters.

Neat pics of the white cougar

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 03/31/2004 at 19:30. ( myers.ark@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.23

Thanks, Old Man! Enjoyed the site and articles!

Here in Australia

This response submitted by Danial on 03/31/2004 at 23:20. ( cindy@nex.net.au ) 203.220.180.62

There are people that say the same thing here. But the expernashon is when the US forces left Australia thay left there mascots(serposely black panthers) here, I think there drawing a long bow, but the mith has go on for years, things that go bump in the dark hay.

Stephen

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 04/01/2004 at 00:13. ( ) 209.130.218.166

I too spoke to that crackpot from the eastern cougar group, I thought I was in the X-files. I guess if you want something really really bad, you can finally just make it up! Thats the read I got anyway. I will always say that most of those few cat sightings are captive reared animals that escaped or were released privately...Hey, let me know more about the Akeley stuff, dont forget hes my neighbor!

Black and white Large odd Cats

This response submitted by Richie on 04/01/2004 at 00:24. ( ribjr@webtv.net ) 209.240.205.62

As always here on the Upper and Lower 40!Things come around and leave viable signs of the uncommon.Being observant,you always question what you see or try to document the fact!Had lots of Real nice photos of the Big Cat behind the bush and it was a real unusual!Also 3 more sessions of it being photo captive!The real clincher is the Diner guest for the evening of Chicken on the grill, stepped on the tapes and camera and ruined all the documented evidence!Dang that big no mannered Sasqautch living on the upper 2 above 40's!He has not been back since and he did crap in the pool!I still sleep with one eye open! I hope the creature would quite the never ending vocal duplicate of the Yetti!This goes on at intervals but never when some really need to hear it!This big monster must have a night vision scope! When all investigation is gone the sucker whines, yowls, and is still using the pool as a litter box!He will not upset trash cans and it good about that!Must be 8 ft tall and big prints in the mud!When we gave him beer and wine at some of the cook outs there were several sh..t faced impressions and and a elbow or 2 in the wet clay! Hope you all can get your own in the yard!Right now if the bad big boy stays away,will give chance to the Real Deal!We got some spooky Space creatures lurking about!They are small and do not crap in the pool!Really sleeping with 1 eye open!(lol)Well I was out last night watching all the little owls eating deer mice and I saw?Well I bored you enough?Next post will fill you in!Thank you!Richie.Yes we are talking about Pa.Wildlife!

Black bobcats?

This response submitted by Lance H on 04/03/2004 at 17:54. ( ) 63.147.130.32

We entertain dozens of reports of black panthers where I live as well, but never get any proof. But I feel now that I mnow what's going on with these sightings. This past January, while on my trapline one morning, I was looking over an empty fired trap. A hundred yards south of me was another set. I rest trap one and got on my Quad and started it when a black cat stood up where trap #2 was at. At least, to my eyes, and thru my binos, it looked to be a black feral housecat. Damn! I casually drove toward it and it wasn't until I was at about twenty yards that I realized it was a bobcat, a rather sizeable male - 29#, who became agitated and aroused, piloerecting his hair when he heard me start the 4 wheeler. At that distance, I misjudged his size relative to his surroundings, and his hair color patterns were indiscernable. I've killed a bunch of bobcats, but this one sure fooled me, and I suspect that this kinda thing happens a lot.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu