Hoping for some answers to questions, please

Submitted by Boston Duck Dilemma on 05/02/2004 at 22:07. ( ) 192.138.214.100

Hiya all,

by all accounts, I'm a serious waterfowl hunter, hunting ducks and geese 110+ days a season. I have now some questions WRT having birds mounted. Any thought or responses, general or specific are greatly appreciated.

Not knowing exactly what I wanted to have done, or if I wanted at all, over the past two seasons kept (and in one case, three seasons) birds that I thought I might want to have mounted, and have them in my freezer, a regular over-the-fridge jobbie. All have not been disturbed, and almost all are picture perfect, full plumage, adult drake specimens, most having taken but a single pellet. Since I recently got married, my wife is complaining, as my entire freezer is filled with ducks--17 species to be exact. My questions are as follows:

These birds still look perfect, but are they OK to bring to a taxidermist, being frozen now for between 6 months and 3 years--is there a concern over what's conventionally known as 'freezer burn'?
Will a taxidermist make me a deal on bringing in a bunch of birds, as opposed to 1-2?
In the interest of just seeing the individual mounts, and differences in sizes and coloration, I'd like to have then all in the same 'pose', simply in a swimming position, with a leg exposed. Thoughts?
I've seen and was very impressed with the work of a gentleman named Brian Yacino, from CT. I understand his work is a bit pricey, but said to be worth it. Thoughts, comments? I guess the 'get what you pay for' adage applies here, but I (read as my wife) am not looking to spend a fortune. What's the standard $ for a simple duck, not flying, with no frills?
Assuming I make the trip down (~1.5 hours), what do I need to be concerned with? Not all will fit in a cooler, so there may be a potential for some thawing.
I have a few doubles that look the same to me (all beautiful), but I guess the taxidermy person is the one to make the decision wrt which is best suited, yes--in other words, I should being all of them, then let him choose, yes?
What's the standard turnaround? Depends on how busy one is, I imagine, but in general?

Anyway, thanks for any insight and thoughts; much appreciate it. Just stumbled on in, and saw the forum. :c)

Cheers,

LNH

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Ducks

This response submitted by MarkV. on 05/02/2004 at 22:43. ( MarkV.33@centurytel.net ) 69.179.14.238

3 years in the freezer is not at all a long time if they were wrapped properly. Our standard price for basic mounts is 195.00-245.00 depending on size and species. If your birds were frozen in air tight bags they should be alright to go. main concern for you would be to make sure you have your licenses from all three years the birds were taken. Standard procedure for any taxidermist is to ask for this at the time you drop them off. Being I am out of touch with mounting ducks as I haven't done any except for myself in the last 3 years but if memory serves me correct you can only posess 1 posession limit in your freezer in any given year. You may want to research this but in MN. where our shop is that is 12 birds total. I'm not trying to start trouble but this may be something you want to call your taxidermist about before hand.As far as your trip to the taxidermist transporting your birds you shouldn't have much thawing in 1 1/2 hour drive to spoil them.If you have more than 1 bird of each species you may want to let the taxidermist pick the best of each to get the best mount possible. This is only my opinion for what its worth. Good luck, Mark

Ya, I 'll make ya a deal.

This response submitted by Cut Rat Eboy on 05/02/2004 at 22:46. ( cheapskate@Iwantsomethingfornothing.com ) 66.233.157.155

Yeap, fifty bucks a piece, ya gets whut ya pay fur.

Check the USFWS regs first

This response submitted by J J on 05/02/2004 at 22:58. ( Sinclairsjj@aol.com ) 64.12.116.140

Be careful of what you post here. I just had a speacil agent go through my freezer only to tell me that you can not have more than a several days limit of waterfowl in your possesion at any time.I do not have a Federal Migratory Bird Permit and was told even as a hunter,these regs apply to every one who pursues waterfowl.Your filled freezer with 17 species of ducks is any agents overtime pay check. It may even be a nicely set bait pile. Please be more specific about who you are when tempting the unsuspecting,law abiding taxidermists who come here for information.Your own vague information leaves much room for doubt as to who you may be. You mentioned some one elses name quite freely yet you omitted your own. Why? There is only one place you should go,if you are not in fact an undercover agent and that is,since you make me think you are from Boston,is to the USFWS in Hadley,Ma. Tell them what you posted here for the full interpretation of the law before you entice any one to corroborate with you like this in open forum. Thankyou, John Janelli

Big trouble

This response submitted by Jack F on 05/03/2004 at 17:08. ( ) 12.152.154.87

This guys freezer is a felony waiting to happen. Most all federal migratory bird charges are felony's. I have been going over all this stuff as I applied for my permit. Also my good friend is a federal agent. Good luck Jack F.

Brian Encino

This response submitted by wetnwild on 05/03/2004 at 16:46. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Your choice for a taxidermist is a very good one. I see Brain all the time at the state shows, and he is a top-rate bird guy. You will get what you pay for, a Class A taxidermy job.

Yacino

This response submitted by Wayne R on 05/03/2004 at 19:47. ( therodds@msn.com ) 65.128.20.146

I second your choice for a bird taxidermist. I would suggest talking to Brian about your concerns and thoughts and listen what he has to say. I have sat in on his seminars and every year he adds to the collection of trophies he receives for the quality of his work.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu