Some folks really "F" ed up big time in Iraq

Submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 05/01/2004 at 17:02. ( ) 63.115.128.138

Whoever the stupid morans were that abused the Iraqi prisoners and then were stupid enough to take pictures of it that could get out, really "F" ed up. I wonder how many of our troops will pay the price for the best propoganda the insurgents and those against us in Iraq could ever get? It was literally handed to them on a silver platter. Anybody see the pictures? Nude pictures forcing them in humiliating positions and our troops laughing in the background. One picture shows a female troop pointing at the penis of one while she is laughing.

The news said some of these folks may be court martialed. May be? I've seen people court martialled for much, much, less. Jeeze, they ought to crucify them for the damage they've done. I would wager we are almost back to square one thanks to a few very stupid people. We may have been on our way to winning the hearts and minds of some of the Iraqi people but not now.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Oh one more thing

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 05/01/2004 at 17:03. ( ) 63.115.128.138

The story and pictures are all over the Arab media throughout the entire mideast.

Yeah, they messed up Bad!

This response submitted by os on 05/01/2004 at 18:34. ( ) 207.69.3.248

Got to agree with you on this one Cecil. The prisoners have one thing to be thankful for though, at least they were not torn apart and their body parts drug around the street like some of our people have!

Sadly that isn't being seen right now

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 05/01/2004 at 19:39. ( ) 63.115.128.138

Our anti's are having a hayday over this one.

Hum but yet is it any worse than Muslims dragging

This response submitted by JOhn C on 05/01/2004 at 19:41. ( ) 66.233.157.155

US civilians down the street or the helicopter pilot through the streets naked.

While I may not agree with how the rules are but if Saddam would just be made to stand up and tell them to settle down its time for a change, thre Iraqi rebals might listen.

You know with the molding tech. we have available here, we could mold Saddams face and broadcast a speach telling them its time to make a change for the better.

Same with the 6'4' skinny Arab with Kidney problems.

Maybe its time to get Hollywood on the Arab world. Then who and what would the believe?!

You're both right but...

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 05/01/2004 at 19:46. ( ) 63.115.128.138

in the propoganda war this is a disaster. We're supposed to set an example of what they should strive for. Now that's down the drain.

John

This response submitted by os on 05/01/2004 at 19:59. ( ) 207.69.0.87

You forgot to mention Private Jessica Lynch being raped time after time, or hostages being murdered on video by their captures!

yep

This response submitted by wilson on 05/01/2004 at 20:34. ( ) 198.81.26.46

In my opinion, it's not that it happened or that it had PIC taken or that they got caught, hell war is hell; but that the little snot noise kid said `he didn't know, he wasn't properly trained, he didn't have any supervision and the best one IT's not my fault`. All on TV.

I'd like to see that in a defense at a court martial

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 05/01/2004 at 21:21. ( ) 63.115.128.138

They don't have a snowball's chance in hell with even the CIC infuritated. Anybody that's ever seen a courtmartial knows a civilian court is a cake walk compared to that. I have no sympathy for them.

As far as saying "they did worse" that does not make it right. We're supposed to be the United States of American. Not some rin tin dicatorship where they do this routinely.

No one is saying it was right

This response submitted by oldshaver on 05/01/2004 at 21:48. ( oldshaver@yahoo.com ) 207.69.4.62

What they did was sick, and I sure aint condoning it. I think they deserve to be punished big time! From what I have heard , War can make people do some strange and cruel things. I am just saying that I do not think that these few, represent our millitary as a whole. I think the arabs should take a good hard look in the mirror before they start throwing stones at us!

Accused Soldiers Didn't Know Geneva Rules

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 05/01/2004 at 21:51. ( ) 65.73.67.115

Accused Soldiers Didn't Know Geneva Rules

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN
Associated Press Writer

May 1, 2004, 7:53 AM EDT

WASHINGTON -- The six U.S. soldiers facing courts-martial in connection with mistreatment of detainees at an Iraqi prison did not receive in-depth training on the Geneva Conventions, which govern the handling of captives, a military spokeswoman said Friday.

Those soldiers have been reassigned to other duties in Iraq, Col. Jill Morgenthaler said in an e-mail from Iraq. No courts-martial proceedings against them have taken place, she said.

Their boss, Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, commander of the 800th Military Police Brigade, and at least seven others have been "suspended" from their duties at Abu Ghraib prison, Morgenthaler said.

It was unclear precisely what a suspension entails, or if it is the same as being formally relieved. Morgenthaler said she believed Karpinski had returned to the United States.

President Bush on Friday condemned the mistreatment of some Iraqi prisoners, saying, "Their treatment does not reflect the nature of the American people. That's not the way we do things in America. I didn't like it one bit."

He was asked about photos showing scenes of humiliation including Iraqi prisoners naked except for hoods covering their heads, stacked in a human pyramid, one with a slur written in English on his skin. Arab television stations were leading their newscasts on Friday with the photos.

"I share a deep disgust that those prisoners were treated the way they were treated," Bush said.

Karpinski has been replaced as head of the prison by Maj. Gen. Geoffrey Miller, deputy commander for detainment operations. Miller formerly commanded the U.S. prison for alleged terrorists at the Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

A leading human rights group said the military should investigate whether the soldiers' superiors ordered or tolerated the abuse.

"The brazenness with which these soldiers conducted themselves ... suggests they felt they had nothing to hide from their superiors," said Kenneth Roth, the executive director of Human Rights Watch.

In the past, Karpinski has defended the prison against claims from freed prisoners and human-rights groups that prisoners were abused, saying Iraqis were treated "humanely and fairly."

Last September, during a visit by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, she displayed torture devices used there by Saddam's interrogators. The prison was one of the most notorious in Iraq under Saddam's regime.

The acknowledgment that the soldiers did not receive in-depth training on international covenants regarding the handling of prisoners echoes complaints from Army Reserves Staff Sgt. Ivan "Chip" Frederick, one of the six facing court-martial, and his civilian lawyer in Washington, Gary Myers.

Charges include dereliction of duty, cruelty and maltreatment, assault and indecent acts with another person.

Some military officials privately said that training or no, the U.S. soldiers should have known better.

In some photos from the prison, aired first on CBS' "60 Minutes II" and now around the world, two U.S. soldiers standing near the prisoners hammed it up for the camera.

One of the photos showed a hooded prisoner standing on a box with wires attached to his hands. CBS reported the prisoner was told that if he fell off the box, he would be electrocuted, although in reality the wires were not connected to a power supply.

I dont believe the did not know the Rules of the Geneva Con.

This response submitted by John C on 05/02/2004 at 23:12. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Somewhere they either slept through them or someone signed off for them.

Having deployed several times, I know we were always briefed on the rules of conduct, rules of engagment and Geneva Convention.

As for Kangaroo Court Martials, its all signed sealed and delivered way before it gets to the Judge. Seldom will you ever see CID with a good investigation.

While I dont condon what they did it would behove them to get a good CIVILIAN LAWYER. Yes the Army will provide them with one free of charge. But someone knows someone that writes the Pro.Attn. Officer Evaluation Report.

Many times, a panel of Jurors will not be of equals. See PV-1, with a jury of 6 Officers and 6 senior enlisted.

Then they will find several other charges to try them on.

F. Lee Bailey could would off and smoke any Military P. Attn. The Uniform Code of Military Justice. AKA UCMJ has several articles and simple specifics have to be met under each code.

What sucks is when found innocent under one code they can be tried again under another code. Double Jeopardy is one thing that is consant!

Never take pics when things get screwed up!

Oh, yes you can engage troops, paratroops with a .50 cal or any available weapon as per Geneva Con.

Rules of the Geneva Convention?

This response submitted by Liz on 05/03/2004 at 09:34. ( ) 152.163.252.166

How about the rules of just plain old human decency? you need to be told there are RULES against this stuff?

Give it a break! WHO CARES?

This response submitted by Who cares anymore? on 05/08/2004 at 00:57. ( ) 64.12.116.138

Give it a break! Who cares?

This response submitted by Who cares anymore? on 05/08/2004 at 00:57. ( ) 64.12.116.138

This response submitted by Who cares anymore? on 05/08/2004 at 00:58. ( ) 64.12.116.138

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu