How do you clean turky fethers?

Submitted by Terrie on 05/06/2004 at 01:07. ( Lakita45@hotmail.com ) 12.144.139.232

Please, I was told that turky feathers carrie something that can make you sick and you need to wash your hands after handling them.
I want to use the fethers for my Indian art, how do I wash them with out ruin them?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

what !

This response submitted by newbirdman on 05/06/2004 at 06:02. ( ) 152.163.252.200

Where do you people get this info from ? If they are domestic turkeys then maybe your talking about salaminella from too many birds together but thats it . I'm still alive after working with them for 37 years . Rick

It is rare but

This response submitted by jon on 05/06/2004 at 11:18. ( jonathan@ harlequintaxidermy.com ) 68.184.178.14

Sometimes pin feathers and/or the flaking feather sheathers at the base of larger feathers put out something similar to dog/cat dander which can cause some people problems with allergies.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they will make you sick, but I suppose it could possible.

If you are worried, a quick dip in warm soapy water and a blow dry will help resolve the problem and leave your feathers clean as a jewel.

Good luck,
JOn

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu