Selling of mounted ducks at D.U. dinner?

Submitted by Gregg Ielfield on 05/04/2004 at 22:52. ( ielfield@westelcom.com ) 64.19.83.177

Just wondering how d.u. can sell or if it was illegal for them to sell a mounted duck Wild duck that is with no papers at a local dinner please let me know.
Gregg

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Two sets of rules

This response submitted by Truth on 05/05/2004 at 00:29. ( ) 205.188.116.206

Always TWO sets of rules. How much are you willing to spend to buy off the Law?

Two sets of rules

This response submitted by Truth on 05/05/2004 at 00:34. ( ) 205.188.116.206

Always TWO sets of rules. How much are you willing to spend to buy off the Law?

They Do It......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 05/05/2004 at 09:12. ( ) 64.122.57.71

.....Because they don't have a clue. Your local DU committee is made up of professional people contributing their time to a good cause. They have no idea as to the laws in this area. They probably have their hands full with the state gambeling regulations.

I used to get calls about mounting a bird(duck) for the banquet about every other year. I figure that was because there were always new committee members comming on board. Each time I had to explain the regulations. They used to sell a mounted mallard on a regular basis and the guy that contributed it(an amateur taxidermist)never bothered to explain that the bird was pen raised. He just automatically did it every year, until he retired and moved away. I got involved because they were looking for a new source.

The real truth is......the contributer of the previous post.....is an idiot, any amount of money gained by DU would never be worth their paying anyone off.

Now get on the phone and call someone on the DU committee and explain what the problem is. The ANTI-HUNTING crowd would love to use this....they'd love to see you AND me "out of business".

Duck trouble

This response submitted by Rich on 05/05/2004 at 09:25. ( finfeathr@aol.com ) 205.188.116.140

For years I have contributed mounts to D.U. One year, I mounted up a pair of buffleheads in a glass case, and donated it to D.U....They auctioned it off at a dinner, and the next day was called by the regional head of D.U., because a Fish and Wildlife agent was in attendance at the dinner, and started the ball rolling on prosecuting D.U....In the end, the regional guy had to track the buyer down, give him his money back, and then donate the mount to a local museum to avoid prosecution. This is one of those cases where I think the law could allow a little leeway...it is a case where the money would go directly back to the ducks.

This is the Law

This response submitted by Bill Haynes on 05/05/2004 at 09:31. ( ) 216.130.152.51

Sec. 21.11 General permit requirements.

No person may take, possess, import, export, transport, sell,
purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory
bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such bird except as may be
permitted under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to the
provisions of this part and part 13 of this chapter, or as permitted by
regulations in this part, or part 20 of this subchapter (the hunting
regulations), or part 92 of subchapter G of this chapter (the Alaska
subsistence harvest regulations). Birds taken or possessed under this
part in ``included areas'' of Alaska as defined in Sec. 92.5(a) are
subject to this part and not to part 92 of subchapter G of this chapter.

[68 FR 43027, July 21, 2003]

Let me get this straight

This response submitted by Liz on 05/05/2004 at 10:41. ( ) 205.188.116.140

You (Rich) are complaining that the law was too strict by NOT prosecuting anyone and making the whole thing go away? Many conservation officers are members of DU and attend the banquets, as do many hunters. I think rather than making a big flap over the whole thing and letting everyone make it right and educating the DU committee, the officer handled things the best way possible given the situation. What would have happened if he did nothing. The complaint then would be...Hey, there was a fish and wildlife agent there and they didn't even DO anything about it!

Tpld them it was wrong

This response submitted by G Ielfield on 05/05/2004 at 12:22. ( ) 64.19.83.177

I id tell the reginal dir. that it could not be sold but he and the chapter decided that 120.00 ( thats what they got for the mount) was worth more than breaking the law. I do love what the DU does but they got greeded with this. Now the feds can tell them that I was right & they could not live auction the mounted wild bird.
As far as the animal rights ,,DU is at faught not me for turning them in. I obey the laws as should big DU.! end of story. for now!
Gregg

A better choice

This response submitted by clewis on 05/05/2004 at 12:43. ( clewis@bossig.com ) 66.45.195.8

is to donate a gift certificate for a duck or goose mount and then take examples or pictures of your work so folks can see the potential result. Every taxidermist (federaly licensed) would be hard pressed to justify mounting a wild duck or goose mount for a DU banquet auction. All this said, it is perfectly legal to purchase a duck or other migratory bird from a licensed dealer and sell the pen raised bird. You just must keep the paper chain intact. Personally it is a lot more trouble that it is worth for me, so I donate gift certificates and set up a small display. Good Luck.

Raffle?

This response submitted by John C on 05/06/2004 at 00:17. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Hum if you sell the tickets for $1.00 and no sure thing? Is it a gray area?

Like these fish frys around my state, the wardens could write tons of ticket for them. But the cost of the paper plates and dessert and drink the meal was free.

law

This response submitted by Rich on 05/06/2004 at 06:59. ( finfeathr@aol.com ) 64.12.116.9

What I am saying is that this law went into effect to stem market hunting. It is an antiquated law and should be changed so that charitable organizations ,such as D.U. and others could raffle off a mount or two for the good of the birds and habitat. It should also be changed so that you could sell a customers duck that you got stuck with, because he never came to pick it up...

Actually...

This response submitted by Susan on 05/06/2004 at 12:48. ( ) 199.90.9.18

If you check YOUR state laws to see if "the selling of a trophy mount(ONE per permit, one permit per person)" is leagal, you might be suprised...-Susan

Warning...

This response submitted by Dud-ette on 05/06/2004 at 12:50. ( ) 199.90.9.18

The selling of bases(with mounts on them) is being watched closely by the DNR...Watch your backs dudes! This ain't a leagal way to sell your mounts.

shoulda coulda woulda

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 05/06/2004 at 23:22. ( ) 209.130.218.70

Regardless of common sense, practicality, etc, we ALL know its illegal. Its not discretionary either. Thats not a state speed bump, my friends, its a federal law. The only reason it happens is...professional courtesy, we dont turn in our local DU chapter, as we realize all they might do for us as taxidermists. Its wrong, and theres no degree or levels of wrong in this. That law probably wont be changed any time soon. Ive just never seen anyone persue it, rather they just warn them, as Gregg did. I think thats what Gregg did, right?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu