Fact or opinion

Submitted by Randy D. on 05/06/2004 at 06:59. ( ) 12.163.65.87

I was reading some responces on this site this morning about opinions. What exactly is an opinion? To me it is saying something like I am the best fish Taxidermist that ever lived. Is this a opinion? Or is this a fact? Explain this to me. I have always had a hard time with opinions. Especialy in a competion when a judge gives his or hers. I feel it should be facts on a call not an opionion? When a judge makes a desision on a case what counts an opinion or a fact? In a trial case the judge looks at the facts presented by the attorneys. If there are no facts then maybe an opinion in their expertise then they will have to give facts of their experence to even give an opinion. So I deal in facts not someones opinion. Fact is I am Randy D. Or is this just an opinion? I am board fact or opinion?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Use to be that way

This response submitted by DaveT on 05/06/2004 at 07:21. ( ) 66.205.109.132

But many liberal judges are now interpretting the law on their ideals, beliefs and agendas.

DaveT

Facts and ideas

This response submitted by Doug on 05/06/2004 at 08:05. ( ) 64.18.236.196

A "fact" is anything that can be "observed" with the senses AND can be corroborated(verified) by others who are sane and sober(LOL). An opinion is an idea...one's perception of reality. Almost everything we communicate to each other is opinion...not fact. You are a fish taxidermist Randy. How good you are is an opinion. "GOOD" is an opinion. The choice of a judge at a competition is THEIR opinion, and certainly NOT a fact. The verdict in a trial is one or more OPINIONS. If you think of the definition of a "fact" you'll soon realize that "facts" are few and far between compared to "opinions." Some examples; "That's a huge fish. You do beautiful work. It's hot outside. This is hard foam. Fish stink. That music is too loud. Spinach tastes terrible." ALL OPINIONS.
How you describe yourself is an opinion. Tall, fat, smart, handsome, mean, intelligent, honest, lazy, CONSERVATIVE/LIBERAL(LOL), good, etc, etc...eh? You deal in IDEAS like all the rest of us. If we were all to preface our statements with "MY OPINION IS.." it would surely clarify this. Most of us present our opinions as though they are facts. For all of the criticism of Clinton's "What is IS?" statement, it was(semantics) very accurate. "IS," when followed by a FACT, is the correct verb to use. "IS" when followed by an idea(opinion) presents the opinion as a fact. NOPE. Few people understand the difference in the use of "is."
Oh, Dave. I've said this before, but I'm sure you'll enjoy hearing it again. Judges (In my opinion "liberal" is your opinion of them{LOL}), are interpreting the US Constitution which was written to ensure rights for all Americans. Your beef is with the Constitution, not the people who interpret and enforce it. The Constitution was written to cover ALL PEOPLE...even the ones you don't share the same opinions with.

That is easy

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 05/06/2004 at 08:46. ( ) 65.73.67.51

Facts are opinions you can back up with articles and proof and are no longer allowed on this site and opinions are what you believe to be true but not always and are very welcome here according to Ken Edwards anyways . Just my opinion !

LOL...

This response submitted by Doug on 05/06/2004 at 09:11. ( ) 64.18.236.169

"Facts are opinions...." (LMAO)! "Proof" is a fact. Darn few of those ever given. An opinion suppported by evidence is called a theory. Lots of theories out there, NONE of which can be called FACTS. That's why scientists are usually careful to use terms like "evidence SUGGESTS or INDICATES" as opposed to PROVES something.
It's sure to fire a heated argument when someone who is INSISTS that his/her opinion is a FACT or PROOF. IMHO(LOL) it's the source of much anger vented on this forum. That's a general commment directed at no one. Just my .02 opinion that's probably worth less than .01.

Dougie, little buddy,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 05/06/2004 at 10:05. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 67.200.29.200

in my opinion, your explanations, and answers, were excellent!

thats the point, Doug

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 05/06/2004 at 12:55. ( ) 209.130.138.53

Dave isnt talking about the judges that adhere to the constitution as it is written. He is talking about the judges who judge with biased towards another, using their own opinion rather than sticking to law. In this case the system (the judge) indeed has failed.

Yes...but...

This response submitted by Doug on 05/06/2004 at 14:25. ( ) 64.18.236.180

Thanks Glen. I won't jeopardize our friendship by discussing politics with you(LMAO)! Bill, I understand what you're saying. I believe that biased judges are as rare as bad cops and lousy teachers. Given that there surely are SOME, I agree with you. On the other hand, IMHO(LOL) the vast majority of judges base their opinions on constitutional law. In view of the point I made that the US Constitution(Bill of Rights) was written for all Americans, it is inherently "liberal" by "right wing." conservative standards. Now I don't know if you agree with me, but I agreed with you. If you don't agree with me I'll still agree with you, and that's OK. IMHO we are both "right." Have a "good day"...whatever your opinion of "good" means...eh?

hello doug

This response submitted by DaveT on 05/10/2004 at 22:33. ( ) 66.205.109.132

Did you hear the one about the Governor and judge in San Fran that decided to not obey a written law because of how they interpretted their own constitution? I would have no problem with a judege as long as they do not go angaist what the majority want unless it is CLEARLY written. Nuff said

DaveT

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu