just tell me if i'm right

Submitted by yasmine on 05/07/2004 at 10:21. ( ) 194.254.131.72

hi !
i was working on acetone and looking at the archives, i found that :

** acetone can be used as a degreaser, to take off water from the skin and feathers of birds.

** it can also be used to take off birds the old paints so as to re-paint them

**it can be used in a bath to the dry the animal

**if an animal suffers hair slippage, its skin can be put in an acetone bath, it will tighten the hair

**it can kill the bacteria (not sure)

is it ok? tell me if i'm wrong
i've also seen in your old posts that some say one should not advise to use acetone for it's so hazardous
tell me if i would better not talk about acetone in my glossary, i don't want to tell people bad things

THANKS
YASMINE

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

denatured alcohol

This response submitted by Old Man on 05/07/2004 at 10:46. ( ) 63.241.157.113

Yasmine,

denatured alcohol will do everything you just mentioned and more. This is a safer alternative.

ok but

This response submitted by YASMINE on 05/07/2004 at 10:58. ( ) 194.254.131.72

still , in my glossary i have to talk about everything that is related to tax, i think acetone is anyway coz a lot of tax use it
i 'll mention what you said of course
but concerning what i said was it correct ? acetone DOES kill bacteria ?
THANX

Most that use it, use it sparingly...

This response submitted by marty on 05/07/2004 at 17:54. ( ) 67.173.51.16

...and with great caution.

The only two things I use acetone for is to ocassionally clean my airbrush (when it's too gummed up for water and windex). That and to clean paint off my (fish's) eyes before the final gloss coats.

In a nutshell, I use acetone for paint removal when all else fails.

BUT, I don't breathe in the fumes. Manytimes wearing a mask. And sometimes I'll wear eye protection to protect against possible splashes in the eyes (From what I understand, this doesn't feel all that good!)

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu