Budding writer needs help with a litle research on taxidermy

Submitted by scared of all things life like on 05/10/2004 at 20:59. ( sonyababe@btinternet.com ) 81.135.108.168

why, i hear you ask, am i looking to research taxidermy if im scared crapless of it?, good question!

2 reasons really, first one is what is stated in the title, and second one is because i have a desire to acually get over my fear, and not run down the street screaming my head off when i see an example of glass eyes staring back at me...

im actually planning on writing a book about a fictional taxidermist, horror if you must know, i know that its just typical that taxidermy is often linked with horror, and im not deliberately trying to bring bad light down onto taxidermists or their profession, i just have a really good story in mind that is all.

if any of you guys have the time and would like to help me by giving me a few pointers of info i need, i'd be really appreciative. first of all what i want to know is the history of the proffession, what materials were used in the past and how all that has changed over the years. also a good knowledge of the legalities would come in handy, and some other questions i might have along the way.
so im not asking much! lol!

thanks, sonya

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Nice advice

This response submitted by A reader on 05/10/2004 at 21:05. ( ) 64.18.236.30

Sentences start with a capital letter.(LOL)

Sonya book is already copyrighted

This response submitted by George on 05/10/2004 at 21:07. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.200

Norman Bates can't be improved upon. You're also going to find us not very accommodating to anyone who doesn't want to portray us in a postive light. If glass eyes scare you, I can only imagine how you'd react to real ones, and if the eyes you saw followed you around the room, you've got most of us confused with the crappy work of years gone by. There's enough information in our archives to satiate any budding author's desires if she looks for it. Just click that orange Icon that says "SEARCH" and ask the questions. The answers are already there.

someones not having a good day......

This response submitted by walking on broken eggshells on 05/10/2004 at 21:26. ( sonyababe@btinternet.com ) 213.122.97.217

the info i need is probably more history orientated than anything else. and i did actually say i do not aim to bring bad light upon the profession or the work.

if you do not wish to help, thats fine, maybe someone else will. i thought it would be worthwhile to ask.

a norman bates type character is not actually what i have in mind, though thankyou for pointing that out.

Sonya, I was really being nice

This response submitted by George on 05/10/2004 at 22:12. ( ) 152.163.252.200

You see OUR perception of what you're thinking of doing, and what YOUR perception is, is an entirely different manner. We've been bitten many times before with lofty themes and good intentions only to see it turned against us. Expedia.com even has a commercial giving us a low blow, so what do you have that would make us think you're any different. You've already said it's a "horror story". And as "a reader" noted, your sentence structure already leaves us guessing. Maybe you'd like to try the undertaker/embalming sites. They don't bother with glass eyes, but they do staple the lips to the gums and use a trocar to suck your gizzards out. LOL

bye, and goodluck, i will proceed to seek help elsewhere.

This response submitted by slan agus beannachti on 05/10/2004 at 23:07. ( sonyababe@btinternet.com ) 213.122.97.217

such is your ignorance and lack of knowledge about me, and my life, you have automatically jumped to the wrong conclusions about my intentions. not to mention insulting my intelligence and my ambitions in the field of fiction. i am not in anyway affiliated with the sites you have mentioned, nor did i post my thread to incite or start petty internet squabbles. i posted here in good faith asking for a little help in the research of the topic that is all.

if i have in any way angered or personally offended you, i am sorry, and i hope that my apology will be accepted if that is the case.

Sony

This response submitted by George on 05/10/2004 at 23:31. ( ) 64.12.116.138

I've emailed you. Obviously we share in our lack of knowlege about each other.

FOR SAKE OF ARGUEMENT

This response submitted by ETCC on 05/13/2004 at 01:08. ( getrichkwik@webtv.net ) 209.240.205.68

I applaud Sonya's initiative and interest enough to do reasearch on a subject to do her book justice...every good writer does the same thing.

I don't look at our Professional Trade of Taxidermy as being a 'sacred cow' that can't be touched-on by others outside our 'stuffing world' ;-)

If that were the case...I'd be flipping out of my skull when they produced the movies..."The Hypnotic Eye' on a Professional Hypnotist killer...or "The House Of Wax" about a Professional Magician killer.

Bates in Alfred Hitchcock's thriller murder movie became a classic. The character was an Amateur Taxidermist...a good onew...hobbyist...didn't discredit or harm the Taxidermy Profession one-iota.

On the contrary...it added a unique interest to the story...as did in the Hypnotist and Magician thrillers as well.

I look forward to Sonya's book...hope Spilberg grabs it after becoming a best-seller and makes it into another "Psycho' legend.

Congratulations Sonya...I applaud you wholeheartedly...Go fur it gal.
~ ETCC

taxidermy linked to horor?

This response submitted by morill on 05/13/2004 at 09:07. ( ) 152.163.244.78

Didn't realize that "it is just typical that taxidermy is often linked with horror." Where on earth did that idea come from? signed ..an ex-writer what don't know better than to end a sentence with a preposition, or ... who is too lazy to write its way around one.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu