about arsenic

Submitted by yasmine on 05/11/2004 at 09:22. ( ) 194.254.131.72

i looked the archives and you seem to say that arsenic is not used anymore.
we still use it in france i think
why shoudln't it be used ? is borax the substitute for it ?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Poison

This response submitted by Old Fart on 05/11/2004 at 10:37. ( ) 64.122.57.119

Arsenic is poison, that is why it's effective in mothproofing skins. That's also why there were no "old" taxidermists in the past.
It's also why old mounts(that are not cased) are dangerous to have around. It will not kill you overnight, its effects are cumulative, it's accumulated in body tissues and slowly preserves you. I don't think that the savings on embalming costs are really worth it.

Borax is safe, or at least much safer, and does the same thing, mothproof skins.

It is 2004. WAKE UP! How dumb can people be?

This response submitted by Jackie on 05/11/2004 at 15:22. ( ) 152.163.253.1

Why should common knowledge, and common sense things like this even be explained? I think the original post is a phoney! I guess in general, people really are STUPID.

It is 2004. WAKE UP! How dumb can people be?

This response submitted by Jackie on 05/11/2004 at 15:22. ( ) 152.163.253.1

Why should common knowledge, and common sense things like this even be explained? I think the original post is a phoney! I guess in general, people really are STUPID.

Jackie, everyone isn't American

This response submitted by George on 05/11/2004 at 15:51. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.140

And that's said tongue in cheek of a nation who thinks it's all right to sue McDonalds a million dollars for spilling scalding coffee in their laps.

Yasmine is from France, so you owe her an apology. Her question is a valid one and O.F. answered it quite well. For years arsenic was used as an embalming fluid. It's effects could have been noted during the exhumation of Lincoln a few years back. NOTHING works better, but as O.F. said, we started planting more and more people who used it. How do you think taxidermists found it? So we Americans decided to foolproof the world and outlawed it. Now we can't figure just what we should do with dermistids. LMAO

Waht to do about dermestids....

This response submitted by Raven on 05/11/2004 at 17:06. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Just pick the chewy lil critters off every time ya see them and sell them on ebay and make a mint. Ya dont need to DO taxidermy to make money anymore - just pick bugs off your existing mounts and sell them to gullable folks that can't find them on every roadkill they pass ;)

I tell ya I'm gonna start bottling my 'maceration culture' and selling it to people LOL!

What took its place?

This response submitted by J J on 05/11/2004 at 22:54. ( sinclairsjj@aol.com ) 205.188.116.140

I have never used anything but arsenic in soaks,washes and soaps to poison organic material. I haven't got much left,but what I do have is left over from a small barrel that Joe Jonas Sr. gave me more than 25 years ago. Nothing I've tried,seen or heard of lasts as long and protects as well as arsenic does. What's out there now that does the same thing? I also use benzine to degrease all my bird work and polish small game fur with optimum results. Has that been replaced yet as well? I'm not being a wise guy here. My taxidermy style was taught to me from some very notable and successful professionals who wouldn't let me work with them if I didn't use what they used,namely arsenic,benzine and asbestos. Any name brands or substitutes would be very helpful.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu