Great Blue Heron Outfitters wants your business!

Submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 05/16/2004 at 23:28. ( ) 63.115.128.157

I've got persistent Herons that keep visiting my fish ponds that would provide great sport. They just keep coming back no matter how many times I run them off! Shouldn't be too hard to hit in flight!

BTW, this is tongue in cheek for those of you who don't know. They are protected unless you get a special permit from US Fish and Wildlife. Just getting frustrated! They're even coming after dark!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Heron Food

This response submitted by Blake on 05/17/2004 at 00:05. ( ) 64.31.6.240

Get some 50" muskies, they are at the top of the food chain in the water and nothing spooks them. You could feed them Herons.
Get your self a good fence around the ponds and put some bird hungry dogs inside. These birds tried this on my pond but my dog kept them away, he loved to chase them off. He was a chocolate Lab and had a trail worn down around the pond, he didnt like frogs there either.

Herons

This response submitted by Robert on 05/17/2004 at 00:23. ( ) 216.174.151.27

Have you tried a electric fencer just at the water edge?

Try this

This response submitted by John on 05/17/2004 at 00:23. ( JAKE2825@aol.com ) 149.174.164.21

Game farms use nets to keep hawks and owls out of their pens.Seems they have a liking for pheasants.If the herons are getting your fish and costing you cash,might be cheaper to cover the pond or the shallow areas to keep the herons at bay. John

Permits....

This response submitted by Raven on 05/17/2004 at 00:51. ( ) 24.150.166.254

I wonder if there are permits you can get to get rid of them... As mentioned above they ARE doing damage. They are interfering with your business and I know with lots of other critters - if they do damage to home or property or cause other financial hard ship - there are special conditions that apply to deal with them. It might not apply to migratories with all the protection they have - but it cant hurt to call the DNR and USFWS to find out. I know things like that have happened here and the province dealt with the nuisance birds... they destroy the carcasses so don't enetertain the thought of mounting them.. but at least they won't be eating yer fish right? Another option might be floating nets... use seine nets rigged with floats all over them so they float horizontally in the water. Rig these in areas where your fish most commonly get near shore to make a barrier for the herons. They only need to extend out a few feet from shore depending how deep you get and how fast...

It's a crappy position to find yourself in when they affect your business and have so much protection afforded to them.

Good luck man =)

herons

This response submitted by mike d on 05/17/2004 at 08:56. ( the_taxidermistatyahoo.com ) 68.118.76.46

Cecil-
I have a client that sells pond kits and builds "water features" for landscaping companies; they sell something that might help!
What they have come up with is a motion activated sprinkler head!
They set it up at the edge of the pond and whenever something moves the sprinkler comes on; one of those big, single stream types!
Critters don't stick around; if the noise doesn't run them off the spray will!
Non-lethal but effective on both raccoons and herons!
I believe they sell for about $75.00 each, inexpensive compared to the value of your fish!

I suspect you could find them on the internet at most pond suppliers.

If Kerry takes office!

This response submitted by Brian on 05/18/2004 at 07:33. ( ) 64.12.116.138

You can call him and tell him you were one of his biggest supporters! I'm sure he wouldn't mind sending what left of our dismantled military (after he gets done with it) to take care of your heron. That is if the terrorist chemicals haven't killed it already!

Whatever you say Brian

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 05/19/2004 at 00:51. ( ) 63.115.128.245

you really need to get your mind off of politics! This is a taxidermy site! At least you refrained from the colorful expletives. LOL

Thanks for all your suggestions. Actually I do have a dog that runs em off but usually I have to point them out as the wife put blinds on all the windows. I'm actually on top of it and not only does my dog run them off, but I am in the process of running three strands of 80 pound test bright yellow braided line from stakes around the ponds. I also have an infared dector that sprays them if they come on the pier but have not hooked it up yet.

Thank you all for your concern! I was just venting and thinking how much fun it would be to blow those parasite carrying creatures away!

Actually George has a crush on John Kerry

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 on 05/19/2004 at 01:03. ( ) 63.115.128.245

and would tie the knot in Massachusetts if Kerry would go along with it. George likes that rugged handsome war hero Frankenstein look. LMAO

The computer's doing weird things tonight

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 (Baird) on 05/19/2004 at 01:07. ( ) 63.115.128.245

My last post was a reponse to a different post alltogther but it ended up here. Weird!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu