Afican Porcupine

Submitted by Ken Wampner on 05/18/2004 at 11:24. ( kewampner@wmconnect.com ) 205.188.116.209

An issue was raised concerning the importing of a southern crested porcupine. This particlar species is not endangered as is its cousin the northern crested...but it seems that there have been restrictions on the importation of rodents from Africa...due to something called Monkeypox. Can they be imported if they are being shipped straight to the tannery and treated there as they would for primates and swine? Or are they just not allowed to bring them into the country at all. Any help from some of you folks who do a lot of African would be most helpful. I have already contacted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife office in Atlanta...and in talking to the person there...and she was very helpful but still it left me with some hope that if they were being shipped to USDA approved facility...then they could be shipped to this country. But I don't know this for a fact. Please let me know if you can be of any help.

Ken Wampner

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

You're gonna ship a porcupine to a tannery?

This response submitted by Superpig on 05/18/2004 at 11:49. ( ) 64.12.116.139

Be prepared to get a bald, quill-less porky back. I prefer to have all my African stuff shipped straight to the tannery. It makes it easier on me and I know the hides will be handled right. But I would never dream of shipping a porcupine to a tannery. Those you need to do yourself. The quills do not have roots like hair does, but rather just a hook at the end and fall out quite easy. Unless you feel like gluing back a thousand plus quills, don't ship it to a tannery.

Piggy

This response submitted by The Rookie on 05/18/2004 at 14:36. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 152.163.252.200

I was gonna ask how in the world you colored and underlined the word bald when I happened to mouse it. A prompt for a hairloss clinic. Just when I thought I saw it all on the forums!(ROTFLMAO) It might be a starting place for the porky when it gets back from the tannery though. OOPS,couldn't resist! Peace- Jeff F.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu