Comp quality is different from customer quality! WHY?

Submitted by David B on 05/22/2004 at 00:42. ( ) 152.163.253.36

What is the big deal on all of the competitions in taxidermy?

I mean really, you full time taxidermist know that a competition piece is NOT THE SAME QUALITY as your everyday work turned out to the public. To say anything different, IS A BOLD FACE LIE. YET, ALL OF YOU GIVE THE IMPRESSION THAT "THIS" IS WHAT YOU GET.

So, next time you show off your ribbons and strut around like you are in heat or something worse, think about giving the regular customer just as good a quality as you taxidermist enter into the competitions.

Thanks for listening!

David B

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

how about quality va, compition quality,,,

This response submitted by shane h on 05/22/2004 at 01:15. ( htaxidermy@bresnan.net ) 69.144.203.56

im a full timer, i have won compitions , with my customers work! does this mean i have to put out a so called bad mount, im one person that takes pride in his work for all who comes to my shop, i have earnd the right to show off my ribons if i so choose, so in my book, there should not be a diffrents in quality , its speaks for its self,,,,

got $

This response submitted by DT on 05/22/2004 at 01:16. ( ) 66.163.140.72

Quality varies w/ time involved in the piece more time more $.
Any taxidermist will do competition quality work if you are willing to pay for it Hours=$. Comercial whitetail=+or- 15 hours for me, competition maybe 80-100 hours or more. Most guys cant tell the difference anyway, they dont know how to look at the finer parts of the work that make it competition quality.

sorry to hear that Dave, but...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 05/22/2004 at 02:06. ( ) 66.133.133.38

Some of us dont strut, but the showroom door is open for all to see. Not all studios are run the same. Why not just worry about yours?

Wrong Side Of the BED?

This response submitted by Tenbears on 05/22/2004 at 06:08. ( ) 205.188.116.139

It should be easy to understand why there is a difference. ECONOMICS. Any taxidermist capable of doing world class work, would be happy to do the same for any customer that is willing to pay for it. Ever go to a car show? Look at the paint jobs on some of the cars? Near perfection. Even better than the factory does. Do you expect an auto body shop to give you the same paint job for $1000.00 If you do. You need to awaken from your dream. It takes about 40 hours to do a quality paint job on a car. it takes about 300 hours to produce a show stopper. It is simple business to display what you are capable of achieving. As a general rule those that are willing to take the time to put forth their best efforts, and compete in a show. Are the same people who will do daily work with the same degree of dedication. It is simple to understand that if someone's best efforts cannot place in competition. Then their daily work is going to be of a lower quality. And those that are not even willing to try because they feel they cannot make the grade. say it all for themselves. They look at those that do as showboater, and see them as strutting their stuff. When in reality. they are experiencing sour grapes. Because they feel they can never measure up.

Geez

This response submitted by Travis on 05/22/2004 at 08:41. ( ) 68.102.253.173

Yea let`s put 200 hours into each deer or mammal mount and raise our rates to a 1,000 for a deer head...David maybe you should try mounting your own stuff and see what it takes to achieve a realistic mount...speaking for myself I can tell you that you would never see the difference between my competition bobcat and my commercial bobcat...alot of the extra time and detail is under the skin..ankle tendions, bone structure, muscle tone, and inner nostrils...things you can`t see anyhow but we put it in the comp mount for the judges...because that stuff needs to be there...

I`ll strut my stuff

This response submitted by Travis on 05/22/2004 at 08:45. ( ) 68.102.253.173

By the way why don`t you visit my website---on the home page you`ll see my two recent awards---then click around on the pictures and small mammal page and tel me if you see a difference in quality between my comp mounts and my commercial mounts...you won`t see the difference unless I pointed it out to you in person...

www.travistaxidermy.net

rather be a has been than...

This response submitted by Rick Carter on 05/22/2004 at 11:23. ( ) 64.12.117.19

a NEVER was. David B, If a person has competed and won, it is proof that they know what they are doing if they want to do it. You get good at competing by doing good work on a daily basis. If you want to drive a top of the line BMW be prepared to pay $85,000.00. If you can't afford that, then there are lots of other decent cars for $25,000.00. Taxidermy is no different than any other commodity if you compare price and demand. Competition IS the springboard for many of the innovative products that are developed for making commercial work better. Competition IS what brought taxidermy out of the stone age.

Invariably those that complain about competitions

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 (Baird) Indiana on 05/22/2004 at 11:26. ( ) 63.115.128.220

can't even place so they try to pooh pooh the whole concept. Just got back from a show David and fuming mad becuase you did so poorly?

If it weren't for competitions the potential state of our art wouldn't be where it is today. That said, our customer work should be the best we can give them for the price. I have seen a few taxidermists that parade around their awards and their customers get the shaft. I mean there is a world of difference in quality of the competition vs. the customers mount i.e. tanning for the comp. whitetail while the customer gets D.P. or just shove in fish filler (not referring to half cast method) for a customer bass vs. a carved or commercial form for competition. I know of one renowned taxidermist associated with a supply company that only puts one eye in his customer fish and his wholesale work is the pitts. But we are talking a major descrepancy of quality here.

Whoa Rick!

This response submitted by marty on 05/22/2004 at 12:04. ( ) 67.173.51.16

"Proof", I don't think so.

There are all levels of competitions. And even at the state level, some states' simply put out some crappy work. When there is no universal standard to hold to, then these states' competitions truly diminish the meaning of a blue ribbon for everbody else.

I've never competed. But I am CERTAIN that I could place with one of my commercial mounts in some of these states' competitions. WHEREAS, most states I would take a pounding. Now you throw in competitions at the World level and that's a whole new ballgame. So unless you're educated to the level of competition, I too take ribbons with a grain of salt. Some are truly earned and some have no right whatsoever entering in the first place.

Because of this, along with the fact that most customers don't know the difference between a blue ribbon taken at the World Championships vs. one taken at Joe's Bait Shop, I too tend to agree with much of what David is saying. Perhaps I don't feel quite as strongly, but nonetheless I believe ribbons are a bit misleading to customers.

But, I also understand that ANYBODY can take advantage of competitions. Both from an educational standpoint and from a marketing/sales standpoint of their commercial work. And, since we ALL can compete if we choose to do so. Then I cannot whine about it because it's MY CHOICE NOT to compete...

Ribbon chasers

This response submitted by Rick Carter on 05/22/2004 at 16:14. ( ) 152.163.252.200

Marty, the proof actually IS in the pudding. I judge a lot of shows and I promise you I don't GIVE anybody anything. If I hang a blue ribbon on a mount you can believe the competitor EARNED it. If that person goes back home and makes a mess of their next hundred mounts there is obviously nothing I can do about it. If he got a blue ribbon from me, you can rest assured that whatever mount I personally looked at was exceptional work within the industry on that particular day. If someone knows enough about an animal to get a blue ribbon it only makes sense that the same knowledge should carry over and reflect in the daily routine. You are right about the quality of work in some shows being behind others but most judges have a similar standard that is not lowered in order to pass out ribbons. Just because you know one person who competes and still produces sub-standard work, it does not mean that all competitors produce lousy work. I know a lot of highly acclaimed competition taxidermists and 99% of them consistantly maintain as high a commercial quality as you can ask for. I know one man who can mount a dozen ducks per day and would come close to a blue ribbon on every one of them. He can do this because he has studied hard and knows where EVERYTHING goes. Competition helps refine the details.

comp quality

This response submitted by J on 05/22/2004 at 19:13. ( ) 66.249.33.191

well said Rick! deep in the soul of non competing taxidermist is a desire to be the best and judged by your peers as such.

why is it...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 05/22/2004 at 23:24. ( ) 209.130.218.192

While we are on this, why do I have to put a zillion hours into a comp piece? Now theres a question! You say theres no way I have the same hours into my commercial stuff as my comp cuz I cant put those hours into a commercial piece, and Im telling you my commercial mounts hang in the same showroom as a couple comp pieces. I just dont put as many hours into the comp piece, problem solved!

Perhaps my ignorance shows a bit Rick...

This response submitted by marty on 05/23/2004 at 15:12. ( ) 67.173.51.16

I assumed that ribbons were given out, period. I didn't know that a minimum standard was being met. Obviously THAT standard is relative to whomever is judging and where they're at. I can certainly see a difference in one blue ribbon winner vs. another. In some cases it is DRASTIC. (And I don't even have a CLUE what to look for!) I just can SEE that something looks better than another.

Not to go off on a tangent. And, I'm not sure I agree with PA's testing. But I will tell you this. When I look at the websites listed under PA on this site, there is a much higher percentage of quality work (imho) vs. most other states that DO NOT have to meet a minimum requirement. If competitions at all levels had a standard to abide to - UNIVERSALLY. I would hold a LOT more value on ribbons than I do now...

Quaity Created from competition

This response submitted by GB on 05/23/2004 at 23:20. ( gary@bruchsfish.com ) 67.208.2.123

Marty
Living here in Pa I will give my opinion to the above statement. I doubt the test has much to do with the quality you see. I do believe that competing and incorporating that learning is what contributed to much of the quality you talk about. Pa has a strong show with over 300 entries and some very strong competition. Respected judges are flown in from all corners of the country picked on their ability to transfer knowledge to the membership not dish out ribbons. I know that the fellas I talk to will rank competing and the contacts they make through the oranization as a foundation to quality work.

Taxidermist stop the B S about commercial work!

This response submitted by Bill P on 05/24/2004 at 00:38. ( ) 64.12.117.19

Most of you are still "full of yourself" by trying to say that the same amount of "quality" goes in to a commercial piece, but, there are NOT enough hours in the year or two years to do all of the work that a busy taxidermist "says" he/she has.

simply cut the B> S> and face the FACTS that many of you mis state and LIE about the quality of work turned out to your everyday customers...

Bill P

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 05/24/2004 at 11:58. ( ) 209.130.138.200

Evidently you speak for yourself. I have a front door at MY showroom. Its all on the wall. Yes, we all cut some corners where craftsmanship and soundness of the mount wont be jeopardized. Yes, some of the "standard" needed to be met on a scoresheet isnt standard with our clients. But, there ARE indeed many of us out there who put the same product out. We are easy to spot...we are the broke ones, but we ARE busy!

commercail work, va; competitions

This response submitted by shane h, on 05/26/2004 at 01:28. ( htaxidermy@bresnan.net ) 69.144.203.56

when it comes to commercail work you should do your best to get your work as close as you can to be anatomically correct, if it takes some time to do this so be it, your customers are paying you for it. i think of myself as a (artist) and every mount i do is done to the best of my ability, i have seen so many people put out a sign and say that they are taxidermist, to when they cant mount any thing at all, and use the excuse of it just commercail work , this makes me sick, as a (professional taxidermist) and been doing taxidermy for over 20 years. there is one thing that i learn from a person that was in the bussiness for over 40 years (you should never sacrafice quality at any time and for any reasons) the only difference between the two is the little thinks like septums, type of eyes, and the artistic ability to shape your forms in a way that your mount will stand out from the rest, and yes this does takes time, im very proud in what i have accomplished over the years, and proud to say that i am a taxidermist,,, shane h,,,

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu