Any retail business for new studio?

Submitted by Steve on 05/18/2004 at 15:26. ( andersonstaxidermy@cox.net ) 68.105.37.30

After 14 years of being a "backyard taxidermist", I am moving into
a new building on a busy highway. I have never had the room to do
any retail sales(ie...antler kits, turkey fan kits, knives,etc) to
the public. Can anyone who has been successful doing so give me a few ideas. Thank you in advance.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I haven't personally...

This response submitted by Jim on 05/18/2004 at 15:40. ( ) 204.211.171.11

I have seen taxidermists offer lots of things for sale. The key is, you MUST have something for sale. Antler kits, fan kits, etc. might hurt your business if you have alot of hunters who won't shell out money for a shoulder mount or a full turkey mount. You will have to analyze that one based on your particular situation. Keep some mounted animals for sale if your local laws allow. Fox, raccoon, pheasant, repro fish, snakes, etc. sell well in some parts of the country. Also, lots of shops sell things like tanning kits, mount cleaning kits, etc. If you can find a good deal on some wildlife paintings/prints, those might sell well. Just use your head and I'm sure you will come up with lots of good ideas.

Busy highway?

This response submitted by gordon on 05/18/2004 at 16:08. ( ) 198.164.30.19

Sell the odd 2nd hand car or/and truck.

Image!

This response submitted by Bruce A on 05/18/2004 at 17:33. ( ) 216.97.184.196

Steve, be careful of the image you will present to the public.
If you want to be known as a professional taxidermist, I would not put anything but that on your sign out front. I saw a shop on a highway one time with a sign that said "Taxidermy and Crafts".
That in itself made me wonder what he was best at! How about another one I saw, "Custom painting, sheetrocking, and hot tamalies".
I think it is a good idea and will bring in extra income to have some retail items in your shop, but I would be careful with the advertising. "Light weilding, notary public, and shoe repair" How about that one? I have that one in my shop just for grins.

Or like in Wisconsin...

This response submitted by marty on 05/18/2004 at 21:52. ( ) 67.173.51.16

...your sign could read something like Taxidermy/Donuts/Beer/Deer Check Station - LOL!

Actually

This response submitted by Mike on 05/18/2004 at 21:59. ( ) 64.91.84.84

It's "Taxidermy and Cheese" and that is no lie! I know where the place is. What a wonderful combo.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu