Just as I was saying

Submitted by Tony H. on 05/19/2004 at 20:01. ( ) 216.120.159.168

Yes, this is a cut and paste but it's of a story by Ted Williams that you may find interesting. There are those here who like to discredit what I say and my work. Well, here's a name you recognize. See if his message is much different than mine.

All In Favor of a Degraded Planet Say: žBushÓ
By Ted Williams

Without enthusiastic support from most of America's 50 million hunters and anglers, George W. Bush and his appointees would still be employed by oil, gas and coal companies. I still see bumper stickers that say: "Another Sportsman for Bush." Yet as a lifelong sportsman myself, I wonder why even one sportsman, let alone "another," would want Bush running the country.

On the eve of Interior Secretary Gale Norton's nomination, the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance called her a "veteran conservation leader," proclaimed that she was "very smart and has a good background in sportsmen's issues" and scolded "the nation's most extreme environmental groups" for opposing her. Today, the more enlightened sportsmen's organizations feel betrayed by the administration and are trying to get the word out, but the rank-and-file still love Bush.
One problem with sportsmen is that they tend not to read. So they don't understand that Bush is systematically dismantling, neutralizing or defunding virtually every meaningful law, regulation and program that protects or restores fish and wildlife. For example, in the Rocky Mountain West, Bush's Bureau of Land Management has abandoned multiple-use management, mandated by law, and ordered field offices to favor oil and gas extraction over all else.

Exemptions to rules protecting wildlife, including game species such as elk, pronghorn, deer and sage grouse, are being granted whenever industry asks. Damage to wildlife is horrendous. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department has found that for every acre of winter range covered by oil and gas wells and drilling pads in the Upper Green River basin, elk abandon 97 acres.

I don't know a sportsman who favors dirty water. Yet on Jan. 10, 2003, the Bush administration issued a "guidance document" instructing its field agents not to bust parties who filled or fouled "isolated waters" that are non-navigable and "intrastate" (completely in one state) because migratory birds are present. No definition of "isolated waters" was provided, but the administration has since proclaimed them to be streams that flow intermittently or dip underground, and wetlands that don't have visible links to larger waters.

Additionally, the document ordered agents to get "headquarters approval" before citing a polluter, thereby dooming enforcement by initiating an endlessly ascending chain reaction of butt-covering permission requests. In issuing the guidance document, Bush rejected warnings from top wetlands experts, including 43 senior scientists from organizations such as the National Academy of Sciences, the Wildlife Society and the American Fisheries Society.

Concurrently, the administration announced a proposed rule, suggesting that isolated waters don't count anymore and inviting comment on how to define the word "isolated" so as to make the Clean Water Act more palatable to those it inconveniences. If the rule goes through, it could degrade 80 percent of the stream miles in the United States.

The enforcement ban - designed by such interests as the National Association of Home Builders, state farm bureaus, the American Forest and Paper Association, Dow Chemical, and the National Cattlemen's Beef Association - derives from a bizarre interpretation of a 2001 Supreme Court decision. The court held that water-filled gravel pits in Illinois can't be protected by the Clean Water Act just because they're used by migratory birds. There was nothing in the decision remotely connected to the administration's broad and creative definition of the word "isolated." Most courts and even Bush's own Justice Department find the guidance document patently illegal.

Isolated wetlands - prairie potholes, for instance - are critical to waterfowl. And in many cases intermittent streams are more important to fish than main stems because they provide refuge from heat in summer, refuge from ice in winter, and refuge from floods year round.

When Jim Martin, former fisheries chief for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, was a young biologist, one of his first projects was to research the steelhead of the Rogue River. He found spawners seeking out intermittent streams.

"They'd move into them for refuge during winter rains when the mainstems were raging," he reports. "At that time, developers were diverting and damming these streams, cutting down their riparian forests, building houses next to them, all because they were thought to be inconsequential."

Martin and his colleagues learned all this in the 1970s. But these are facts the Bush administration doesn't want to know. Now, lakes, reservoirs, even municipal water supplies can be fouled by, say, factory feedlots discharging into feeder streams. It makes as much sense as screening human blood for HIV and hepatitis, then freezing it in unwashed milk cartons.

Recently, a few of the hook-and-bullet magazines that helped put Bush in power are criticizing him. But I still see those bumper stickers, and not just because the drivers are too lazy to peel them off.

It's baffling.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

So

This response submitted by wilson on 05/19/2004 at 22:35. ( taxidermy@aol.com ) 198.81.26.46

Cut and paste are looked down on and Ken has said he does not like and will not allow them; Why do you think your you can violate the rules?

Wilson, he told us in his first paragraph

This response submitted by George on 05/19/2004 at 23:43. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.200

"One problem with sportsmen is that they tend not to read."

And Tony, you ARE a ditz. The ONLY Ted Williams I ever heard of was the last guy who hit .400 in baseball and he died a year ago or more. His son, Ted Jr. just died a few months back after becoming famous for having ole dad decapitated and cryogenically preserved.

I can see why YOU would cut and paste it however. None of you left nuts have any original thougths anyway and you keep repeating the same old lies. You're like Kerry. He's bitching about gas prices being so high and then lamenting that we're "raping our natural resources" by drilling for oil. You clowns ought to sell tickets
to your circus.

ok, I think I see the light now!

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 05/19/2004 at 23:56. ( ) 209.130.219.231

Tony, Im sure youre a decent guy, and like the last post that you were in, but continued here, I didnt call you any names. But I laughed at how youd even consider taking the word of a group like DU as proof the pres isnt worthy. So I see you resorted to level two! Now we are being lead by a dead ex-ball player! Wasnt he senile before he passed away? Thats ok, youre next choice will obviously be the screen actors guild, etc. Now theres a group not insulated from the real world...

Another crying liberal

This response submitted by Hogger on 05/20/2004 at 03:54. ( ) 4.7.218.36

Still bitter from the Gore DEFEAT.

Ask Your Customers

This response submitted by Paul I on 05/20/2004 at 08:25. ( paulblastoatyahoo.com ) 209.210.134.168

Tony you and a few others need to step back and reveiw your choices.Im not a expert but who are your customers? Liberals do not hunt and fish and do not buy taxidermy items.The people I know who support taxidermy and outdoor sports are just normal guys who go to work pay taxes and raise their kids.You pick on the very people who support you.I do not know if where you live they act different,but in my area of New York you wont find them in the woods.Some of you pick on the so called billy bobs but those are the guys that have your mounts on the wall.If your a taxidermist think about your choices in the coming election.John Kerry Is not the better choice.

hey fellas

This response submitted by morrill on 05/20/2004 at 08:57. ( ) 152.163.252.200

Ya got the wwrong Ted Williams..The one mentioned is an outdoor writer who has been published in most of the better known environmental magazines. Got his start, I believe with the Massachusetts Game and FIsh Div (sic).

Now THAT explains it

This response submitted by George on 05/20/2004 at 13:43. ( ) 149.174.164.24

Anytime anyone claims to be an "environmentalist" I cringe. Aldo Leopold was the original before political correctness changed the meaning. Every self-avowed "environmentalist" today is in fact, a "preservationist" by Leopolds standards. He should change his name. And with a background in Teddy Kennedy's sump hole, I really wonder that other agenda items he has in the works. My Ted Williams was a war hero, the best pure hitter in baseball, and an avid fisherman. This guy couldn't hold a candle to the real one.

good point

This response submitted by DaveT on 05/20/2004 at 17:39. ( ) 66.205.109.132

Why don't you liberals put a vote for kerry sign in front of your business? Especially since soo many Americans know about President Bush and how sportsmen hate him and love Kerry. In other words put your mouth where you money is.

If they do that these political posts will cease as they will not be able to afford internet access anymore

YYYEEEEEEE Fricken HHHHAAAAWWWWW

DaveT

Awesome work George

This response submitted by Tony H on 05/20/2004 at 22:52. ( ) 64.108.158.218

You claim to be knowledgable and an outdoor writer and you've not heard of Ted Williams? No, not the baseball player. The outdoor writer. Check out any of the high-end publications, Gray's Sporting Journal, Fly Rod & Reel, Sports Afield, etc. You're right, sportsmen don't read. It's amazing that you label me a ditz and every line that comes out of your posts is absolute ignorance. Honestly, I've not read anything from you in recent weeks that had any factual bias or credence to it whatsoever. Tell you what, study up, educate yourself on the issues of TODAY (not 40 years ago or whenever it was that you were on top of things) and then get back with me. Because it's just not fun debating with you when you refuse to bring any credibility or logic to the argument.

And, as I stated before, I was a Bush supporter. I've never been lied to more by any President and neither have the rest of you. You just refuse to look past the term "Republican."

And you're right Bill, I do tend to listen when groups like DU speak. The nation's largest conservation organization carries some weight with me.

And, for the record, the bulk of my customers are average guys who work their tails off, many of them at one of the auto factories nearby. And, incidentally, almost all of them will be voting other than Bush. They believe in unions, honesty and the outdoors. Things Bush just doesn't represent. You know hard work, dirty hands and hometown values aren't an exclusively Republican trait. There are plenty of folks who believe in the Democratic Party that believe in just that. I'm one of them and I know scores of others. But, hey, bash away if it makes you feel better. I'm comfortable with my positions because it's my job to research them. I look at things with both eyes open and base my judgements on fact, evidence and reality. Not political parties.

As loud as you all laugh at these posts and as much as you want to toss about labels and insults, it doesn't change facts. And the facts are obvious: George W. Bush will go down in history as the single-worst conservation/environment President in the history of this nation. And he's racing hard toward earning the title of biggest international policy mistake in history as well.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu