Not to change the subject, but..

Submitted by Ron on 05/25/2004 at 23:20. ( ) 205.231.189.215

I hate @#$&*ing buffalo. Just got finished mounting a shoulder mount for one that wieghed 2200 &*^% pounds. Our Government had the right idea trying to exterminate them. The #$% *&^$ things should all be destroyed. The %^$$ing green hide on this thing wieghed 284 pounds before I fleshed the two inch thick piece of $#!t. What makes it worse is this was for a friend and I only charged him $800 for the mount. I got three days and five hundred out of my pocket in it. Needless to say I lost my arse. The next guy is going to have to bend over and cough for me if he wants one of these ba$#@rds mounted.

Whew, just had to vent a little. Ah but this is not the end of the story. Late last night as I was finishing this monster my two and a half year old little girl came out into my shop with me as she often does. After a little while I looked over and noticed that she had curled up in the back half of this tanned buffalo robe and gone to sleep. I don't know why, but for some reason I just wasn't pissed anymore....But the next guy is going to pay!.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

they are a ***** to do allright!

This response submitted by trappersteph on 05/25/2004 at 23:36. ( ) 64.12.116.139

I will never do one again unless its just the head,no neck or shoulder, and charging an arm and leg just for that! Seriously hurt my back working on 3 green capes, to the point of wanting to quit taxidermy!

Bill P says you're ripping people off charging that much

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 (Baird) Indiana on 05/25/2004 at 23:51. ( ) 63.115.128.155

LOL

Buffallo hunters

This response submitted by earned on 05/26/2004 at 00:04. ( ) 205.231.189.191

earned their money. I honestly don't see how or "why" they did it. I would not try to wrestle with one of these one ton bastards laying dead on the ground for any amount of money. Some of these fools shot over a hundred a day.
Trapper, sorry about your back but I'm with you. If buffalo were all there was to taxidermy you could count me out at any price.
Cecil, tell Bill P if he wants me to mount a buff, he better oil up and practice his head turn and cough cause I got the latex gloves on and this is gonna hurt!.

Maybe that is why they only took the tongue

This response submitted by PA on 05/26/2004 at 07:14. ( ) 24.3.179.164

Lots of buffs were killed and just the tongue removed. Other than that, most professional shooters had a whole cadre of skinners who followed the echos of the sharpes rifles.

Steph, could you just powder the buff hides and slap them on a form? Bill P. wants and honest taxidermist - you could honestly do a lousy job that way.

Ron, They're really no problem

This response submitted by George on 05/26/2004 at 08:28. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.139

AS LONG AS YOU CHARGE ENOUGH. When a buff comes through the door, the MINIMUM is $1300. That always makes me feel much better about the job to be done. If it's a BIG bull(a mature animal) then it goes to $1500. Prices like that serve a dual purpose: They discourage those customers who "just want to shoot something" for a cheap price and it makes the pains in my back and fingers seem worthwhile when I'm done. Try it and see if you don't feel better.

Buff woes......

This response submitted by Hip-O Taxidermy on 05/26/2004 at 09:54. ( hipo@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.15

My first buff was for a buddy also......my price went up drastically afterwards. Had to raise the price to cover the pain meds from my back surgery! Though have to admit they make great looking mounts. Have two more to do this year, fun, fun.

Go George!

This response submitted by Susan on 05/26/2004 at 11:48. ( ) 199.90.9.18

Teach and preach on....they'll learn sooner than later..we hope.
-Susan

huh, well Ill be darned

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 05/26/2004 at 13:43. ( ) 209.130.148.167

Now I just got done doing one, and found myself again thinking that I wouldnt mind getting ten or twenty of them to do. I actually enjoy them. Of course, I suggest that the hunter have a local taxidermist where it was killed do the cape and tannery prep, and I then deduct that from the customers bill when he pays that taxidermist.

Buffs

This response submitted by Tim McLagan on 05/26/2004 at 18:23. ( tim@mclaganstaxidermy.com ) 216.228.163.40

I'm with you Bill, I do a dozen or more every year, actually pretty simple mount, if your set up for the big critters. Have a heavy duty mounting stand bolted to the floor, so you dont have to chase them around the shop. Hire a youngster with a strong back to do the fleshing for you. I do them for $950. Tim

Fur Balls

This response submitted by Keith on 05/26/2004 at 20:50. ( ) 67.2.181.4

I do a few a year also, but I'm not the guy that fleshes them! Mounting goes quick, but all that hair brushing to get the tannery grit out of the hair is a major pain.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu