Memorial Day, 2004

Submitted by George on 05/30/2004 at 21:10. ( georoof@aol.com ) 149.174.164.74

Sadly, the meaning of Memorial Day has been lost over the years and just as often, we as veterans get thanked for OUR service. Just a reminder. This isn't OUR day that's being celebrated. Its a day to remember those who AREN'T here any longer and who paid the supreme price for the freedoms that you and I share every day. These were people who stepped into jeeps, and ships, and airplanes KNOWING full well that they probably wouldn't survive. Yet they did it. By the millions they did it just so that the freedoms we hold so dear could remain intact. How many of us would have done that?

This weekend, the World War II Memorial was dedicated to the men and women who've been called the "greatest generation". The actions of those people happened over 60 years ago and for saving the world, they had to wait almost 3 generations to be honored. Sadly, most of them are already gone and can't be thanked even though they survived horrors that we can't even imagine. At a rate of 1000 a day for the last 10 years, these veterans have passed without knowing how grateful we are. We either never had the chance or never took time to tell them how much we appreciate what they did.

Then you can thank those who are maimed and infirmed and who'll never be the healthy person they were before the stepped into battle. The people they were are gone forever, and now they have to learn to be someone they never dreamed about. God bless them every one. This is THEIR day. Remember them.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Amen to that!

This response submitted by Doug on 05/30/2004 at 21:34. ( ) 64.18.236.77

Great post George.

IT's

This response submitted by wilson on 05/30/2004 at 21:51. ( ) 198.81.26.46

It's a shame, The media make it sound like, Memorial Day is just the beginning of summer.

George

This response submitted by Coyote on 05/30/2004 at 22:00. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.47.233.175

THANK-YOU

Coyote

P.S.

This response submitted by Coyote on 05/30/2004 at 22:02. ( ) 69.47.233.175

And yes I was yelling that!

Coyote

Thanks Geo

This response submitted by DaveT on 05/30/2004 at 22:08. ( ) 66.205.116.69

Thanks George, there have been many who have paid the ultimate so that we can enjoy the peace and security we take for granted so often. That is why it burn's my a** when someone says it is alright to burn a flag. The red stripes represent the blood that has been spilt for this great land of ours.

Thanks again

DaveT

Thank You George

This response submitted by Mac on 05/31/2004 at 11:13. ( vabowhunter@worldnet.att.net ) 209.247.222.97

I watch my Son graduate from High School up in Pittsburgh & then I'm going to bring him back down here to VA to meet up with his sister to fly down to meet their Grandfather. During the time I have with him I'm going to be asking him what he learned about WW II and the other battles that our people fought in the name of our freedom. I'm going to ask him what it means to him. Then I'm going to instill into him a veterans view. He will not truly understand unless he makes the commitment to serve his country, but I can at least plant the seed of respect for those who paid that ultimate price. That is the least I can do to Honor those who fought before I did, by telling him to NEVER FORGET THOSE WHO FOUGHT AND THAT FREEDOM IS NOT FREE! Too many forget that our freedon was paid for by the blood of our Soldiers, Sailors & Airmen. Take the time out today and say a prayer and have a moment of silence, it means alot,
Thanks Again Geo. & God Bless All of you!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu