please answer this question

Submitted by yasmine on 05/27/2004 at 08:51. ( ) 194.254.131.72

what is a mother mold ?
and how do you call the thing in plaster which supports the flexible mold?
it's really important please
thanx

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

actually

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 05/27/2004 at 08:57. ( ) 209.130.221.17

Id love to assure you its in the archives, to the fifth power, but...I think the word you want is a JACKET. If you need more, check out the archives, the guys have done a good job explaining the difference between mother molds, jackets, encapsulations, etc.

Yo

This response submitted by Susan on 05/27/2004 at 09:14. ( Working on changing it ) 199.90.9.18

supply Mike Noonkester Supply can explain what a "Mother mold" is, and the best uses-give him a call, or e-mail, or just visit the site for supply Mike Noonkester Supply's Taxidermy Supply House for more indepth descriptions of these various items.-Susan

thanks to both of you

This response submitted by yasmine on 05/27/2004 at 09:24. ( ) 194.254.131.72

it's done i've sent an email to mike
do you say a jacket or a support jacket?

Several Terms

This response submitted by Old Fart on 05/27/2004 at 09:33. ( ) 64.122.57.9

There are a number of terms that can be used to describe the mold supporting structure.

Jacket(like Bill said)is a good term for it.

Mother mold, this can be plaster or fiberglass

I use the term "keeper" for the frame that I use to support my molds. My keeper supports the mould to hold it in the proper position, but does not surround the mold like a jacket or mother mold would. Some molds for small parts don't even need a support they are sufficient in themselves to hold the integrity of the mold.

I am not an expert in this area, by any means, so I hope that my explaintation doesn't conflict with the more experienced mold makers that frequent here.

Hey Old Fart!

This response submitted by Susan on 05/27/2004 at 13:13. ( working on one ) 199.90.9.18

Sounds to me like you know your stuff well enough to give some good advice. - Susan

Mother Mold vs Jacket

This response submitted by Raven on 05/27/2004 at 17:21. ( ) 24.150.166.254

A mother mold and a support jacket are two VERY different things that for some reason have become linked.

A support jacket is just that - a jacket of plaster, urethane, fiberglass or some other rigid material that is used to keep the flexible mold in place so it does not distort whilst casting.

A mother mold on the other hand is a mold OF a mold. It is used in high production facilities where molds frequently 'burn out' and become useless. Instead of making an entire new mold through the standard procedures, you simply get the 'mother mold' and pour your material in that. The cast you get out of that mold is actually a new mold. So if you have to produce thousands of casts and need dozens of molds, you simply make a mold, then mold that, cast up dozens of molds, then use those dozens of molds at a time to make your thousands of casts.

Mother molds and support jackets are not the same thing... someone started using the terms interchangably and regretably the bad trend caught on...

Raven, Please Explain

This response submitted by Old Fart on 05/27/2004 at 20:32. ( ) 64.122.137.54

If you have a "mother mold", is it a positive(a cast) or is it the original mold that was made from the "original? If it is the cast, is it also proper to call it the "master copy"?

You are quite correct, the term "mother mold" has been applied to the jacket for as log as I can remember in the taxidermy business.

It's a mold of a mold

This response submitted by Raven on 05/27/2004 at 22:12. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Imagine you have a cast.. say a small statue. You need 1000 of these statues reproduced but don't have the time to cast them one at a time. Now if you had 100 molds, you could cast all these pieces in one day! You then have 2 choices.. you could make a mold of the original statue, then demold it and make a second mold, demold that - make a third mold etc.... the amount of time it would take you are better off casting 1000 one at a time. SO.. what you do is this;

make your mold off the original piece. Now instead of making the second mold off of the same statue... take the mold you just made.. and make a mold of THAT. Now use that mold and pour it... when you demold it - you have a piece that is an exact copy of of the mold you took off of the statue. Do this 99 more times and you have 100 molds so you can cast 100 statues at a time. It takes a LOT less time to pour a mold than it does to go through all the steps of creating bedding - applying layers of silicone or other material, flip it over - do the second side etc...

Hopefully that clears up the technical differences =)

As for the nomenclature of the term 'mother mold' in taxidermy? There's a LOT of stuff that coming from a molding background I see that is kind of off. For the most part it's no big deal - the basic concepts are usually there, but to be specific; a lot of the terms used are off in one way or another. A prime example is the number of people who call casts of fish "repos" not "repRos". It has gotten better out here the last year or so - but there are still a lot of people calling them 'repos'. Ther term repRo is short for 'reproduction', the term repo is what happens when someone reposesses something you missed payments on - LOL! So this, like 'mother mold' isn't a critical factor as the concepts are still understood - but to be technical - the terms are wrong... In some cases like the difference between jacket and mother mold - it can confuse some people however as both terms are used in mold making. Taxidermists aren't in a position to require having 100 molds of the same piece or burn their molds out on a regular basis, so the concept of 'mother mold' isn't something that applies to their needs. I think this is the reason it gets confused so readily.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu