Who hangs mounts in stores?

Submitted by Drew on 10/11/04 at 12:59 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.139

They just opened a new Gander Mountain store here in Denver. The main reason I wanted to go in was to check out the mounts. Well, it looks like Jonas Bros has the monopoly on the mounts there. Not to be a jerk, but the most of the mounts were awful. It is obvious that some of the mounts are older and even the some of the newer ones were really bad. For example, some of them even had ears that were lopsided and shaped wrong.

My question is, I am sure that Jonas is capable of quality work, why as a company would they opt to hang low end stuff for advertising? I see quite a few bad mounts in stores with a plaque underneath it and the name of the taxidermist and phone number. Seems to me that if you were trying to advertise you would use the best mount you can. Do you think they just take extra stuff and depend on their name to draw business, or is this kind of advertising a waste of time anyway?

Seems to me, if the mounts are just for store decoration, then the quality really does not matter. But if that is the case, then why put a name plaque next to the mounts when it could only hurt business?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Its Because...

This response submitted by M.T. on 10/11/04 at 1:16 AM. ( ) 207.72.44.51

most of the general public don't know what good taxidermy is. Heck, a lot of taxidermists out there don't know what good taxidermy is. And most of the people just look at the size of the animal or antlers and horns. If a taxidermist hasn't been to the world show or possibly Nationals, then they haven't seen very much quality taxidermy. I specialize in fish and what I and Randy and Mike and Matt and oh ya, Cecil consider bad fish taxidermy, you may consider good. So really, it really is in the eye of the beholder. A big display of taxidermy in a new Gander Mountain store, regardless of the quality, will be nothing but good for a business. Thats just what I think.

Excellent post, MT

This response submitted by George on 10/11/04 at 8:21 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.138

Drew, the main reason is that MOST of us don't want our work there anyway. Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabela's all have enormous taxidermy displays. A big corporation like that doesn't want or need to deal with Joe Schmoe so the HE or SHE can advertise freely in their store. They put out a wish list (more like a demand list) to some entity whose job it is to complete the mounts as required. I'd bet 99.9% or us couldn't meet that even if we had access to the hides for the animals. Look at Cabela's Four Seasons Mountain ALONE. There are a hundred world class animals mounted on that single piece - ALL LIFESIZED. I looked at the two grizzly bears fighting over a dead moose and came to the stark realization that I wouldn't have even wanted to do the damned moose lifesize just so I could flop it on the ground.

The trouble with taxidermists is that we all think we're good judges of quality. As MT said, many aren't and certainly the customers have a poor track record as to what they think is quality. When I go to those stores, I've long since given up on critiquing the work. I just look at the volumn and am thankful I wasn't hit with the deadlines those taxidermists were. AFTER ALL, I go there to buy stuff so that I can go hunting, not to drum up extra work for myself.

You are right again George! (Smarty, huh?)

This response submitted by Mr KIm on 10/11/04 at 12:02 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

George,

I could not agree more with your above post.

Laters,

Mr KIM

& on top of that

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 10/11/04 at 12:16 PM. ( animalatrsnw@charter.net ) 68.186.0.103

Have you ever had someone ask if you have any old mounts you want to get rid of.
So that gets you thinking , Hey maybe I can make a couple bucks & get rid of those mounts that I did 15 years ago, heck you do a lot better work than that crap now so why not.
So you sell them & low & behold they show up in a store or resturant for there decorations.Then it belongs to them & you cant ask them not to display the mounts.
so next time you stumble over one of your old mounts that are not up to your current standards, before you sell it & cause bad advertising for your self, tear the horns off & throw it away.

Just a thought

mounts in stores

This response submitted by Drew on 10/11/04 at 2:17 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.222

I know that Sportsman's Warehouse and Gander Mountain both don't pay for mounts on display. They let people hang them in the store for free and get a sign next to the mount stating your business info etc.

So to me, there is no logic behind hanging a crap mount with your name on it in public.

I have lots of mounts in a local Gander Mountain store

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 (Baird) Indiana on 10/11/04 at 9:57 PM. ( ) 63.115.128.157

I have been treated with nothing but courtesy and allowed to advertise my business there. There are also other taxidermists displaying there and Gander Mountain doesn't play favorites -- at least this particular location. Now Wallmart is another story but we won't get into that.

Yup!

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 10/12/04 at 12:50 AM. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 64.12.116.138

WalMart is a different story. Guess it's who you know. Yee Haw. Jeff F.

If you're hanging mounts in wallmart Jeff

This response submitted by Cecil 63.115.128.181 (Baird) Indiana on 10/12/04 at 3:05 PM. ( ) 63.115.128.169

More power to you. I used to advertise in five wallmarts. I took all my mounts out.

I have mounts in Gander also

This response submitted by Todd B on 10/12/04 at 5:52 PM. ( ) 4.225.18.60

I also make sure my mounts have a nice brass plate with my business name on it. That way I know it is not mistaken for others shoddy work. I have made some good money from people seeing my stuff in Gander Mountain.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu