Rookie wondering

Submitted by Mike Barrus on 11/9/04 at 12:55 AM. ( ) 68.117.49.184

I guess this is really my first year on my own, that is not working for another taxidermist...I have no time to hunt! It seems now that Taxidermy has taken the place of that time. Funny thing is, I always put hunting way up on my list..now its very much a secondary thought...and I don't mind. I do still have the fishing bug something aweful. Just wondering, I got into Taxidermy through my love of hunting..now Taxidermy is what I would rather do....do I just have beginers enthusiasm that will soon fade or is this a normal transition for some of you? How much do most of the full timers spend hunting?...Silly questions I Know but just wondering.
Mike

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

25+ years

This response submitted by John_NY on 11/9/04 at 1:34 AM. ( ) 64.19.86.20

I have been at taxidermy for over 25 years and I still hunt almost
every day. I hunt about 2 hours in the morning and another 2 hours
before sunset. Of course my kids are grown up and moved out on their
own, my wife works from 3:00 to 11:00 so I can be in the shop pretty
much anytime I want to be. Also my shop hours are by appointment only.
I think when the newness wears off you'll start missing hunting and
if you miss it you'll find the time.

John_NY

I agree with John

This response submitted by George on 11/9/04 at 8:04 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

After some point in time, the glamor is going to wear off, BUT while you're at this point, enjoy it. I, too, hunt every chance I get. I think I'm close to "terminal burnout". I enjoy talking about taxidermy at this stage much more than I enjoy actually doing it. It's sad in one sense, but remember one thing: This is a job you'll die doing. There's no "retiring" or "quitting" without something catastrophic happening it seems.

I understand what you mean

This response submitted by Bobbi Meyer on 11/9/04 at 8:34 AM. ( bmeyer@iland.net ) 168.166.80.209

about putting the taxidermy first. I used to love to hunt, and think I'll try to get back out this year and try it again. One thing that I have found is that I enjoy seeing other peoples trophies ALMOST as much as getting my own. I do have a muzzleloader and can hunt after the main pressure of opening weekend and the biggest amount of work slows down.
I think the main reason I want to get back out is so I can get my own buck to mount again, since the first one of mine that I mounted was over 13 years ago, and well, to say the least there has been a great deal of improvement in my work!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu