George

Submitted by Daveh on 11/9/04 at 12:27 PM. ( ) 68.249.224.74

I have a question for you. I took in a deer last week that was a bow kill that had been in a cooler for about 5 days. The cape still had alot of meat on it when it came in. i prepared it and tanned in Krowtann as soon as i got it caped. when i took it out of the tan there is a strip about 5/8" wide about 12" long that the hair came out of. The skin there seems to be a little discolored there. Do you think this was probably from an antler wound and that because of bruising and being only in a cooler for 5 days that the hair slipped? By the way where is your shop located?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Did you move the cape around in the KROWTANN

This response submitted by John C on 11/9/04 at 1:21 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Sound like its was either spoiled along the area or you did not move the cape around in the KROWTANN.

YOU cannot put a skin in the Krowtann and leave it alone, you need to lift the cape our, turn it to make sure all parts are tanned.

Sounds like postmortem blood settling

This response submitted by George on 11/9/04 at 1:23 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

There's an excellent post below talking about the red "peticia" on a bow killed deer. Such settling of the blood exacerbates spoilage and deterioration of the skin and associative tissues. In other words, that strip only signifies where the rotting process had already begun before you got to it. I alway warn customers about "aging" or "cooling" deer with the skin still attached. This is why they shouldn't.

John and George

This response submitted by Daveh on 11/10/04 at 12:20 PM. ( ) 68.249.224.74

I did move it around in the Krowtann at least twice a day. The dark area that i mentioned was on the outside of the skin not visible on the inside. It is long enough and positioned in such a way that wouldn't lead you to believe that it was from a wrinkle or anything like that.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu