Question from a concerned wife.....

Submitted by Crystal on 11/9/04 at 10:41 PM. ( JeffsSouthernGal@hotmail.com ) 66.190.126.145

Hi I have a question my husband is getting ready to mount a black bear shoulder mount and I think that you have to tan the hide first but he thinks that if he uses dry preserve. it will turn out the same. Is this true? He did a whitetail a couple weeks ago with dry preserve and it turned out fine. I dont want him to do all this work on this bear and it turn out horrible please let me know any suggestions before he starts the process... The worried wife..

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Tan it

This response submitted by Dean on 11/9/04 at 11:12 PM. ( ) 67.4.183.108

There is a taxidermist near me that uses a dry preservative. I remounted 6 deer last year for customers that he had originally mounted. All of them were less than 4-7 years old .I have gotten calls from his customers about his bear mounts and ask why it smells. It is rotten grease in the skin that they were smelling. The hide needs to be degreased and tanned, not dry preserved. It might work fairat best on a small mammal but not big game. I don't care what anyone says. I feel it is used to make some quick money and run. If you want a mount to last tan it. If you want to maintain a good reputation and stay in business, tan it.

It will be fine! In the back shed! or in the burn barrel

This response submitted by JOhn C on 11/9/04 at 11:21 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Bear are buckets of grease, what they eat is how they smell.

DP is not for bear, just barely for deer and thats pushing it.

He needs to tan it!

Yes I would Agree

This response submitted by Dennis D on 11/9/04 at 11:37 PM. ( ) 199.239.214.112

there are guys in my area that brag that they can mount anywhere from 100-150 deer heads in 6 months , well number one they don't have licence to do it second they are using the dry preservative they don't last long , But one comes to mind I had a customer he got his first bear rug done and and they used the dry preservative ,never even took the toe bones out or flesh it so don't cut CORNERS Tan It

lets put it this way...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/9/04 at 11:41 PM. ( ) 66.133.134.24

They mount deer in certain areas with powder and say its ok. I wouldnt, but Ill say this much. Even the powder jockies would agree not to dust a bear and mount it. Its degrease and tan for bears, or dont waste such a beautiful animal.

I been doing taxidermy for 30 years

This response submitted by Ron on 11/9/04 at 11:50 PM. ( ) 205.231.189.159

I do up to 200 deer a year plus elk caribo, etc, been in the same location for over twenty years, offer a life time guarantee on all game heads. 95 percent of which have been done with DP with no problems, but with that said I would not do a bear this way because of the grease and the smell. EVen though I have seen problems with this even in comercial tanned hides.

Yup, No DP on Bear

This response submitted by Loop on 11/10/04 at 9:55 AM. ( loopsbu2003@hotmail.com ) 208.155.29.129

I used DP on the first Bear rug that I mounted. Poor choice on my part. The thing smelled awful !
I agree with the others, degrease and tan.
Good Luck:
Loop

I agree with all of ya Cept

This response submitted by Wally on 11/10/04 at 11:09 AM. ( muthagoose@hotmail.com ) 216.251.183.205

I would totaly agree with yall cept for the bear linda Cline has in her show room..Its dp'd years ago, the main thing is to flesh it and DEGREASE it totaly....
Since Ive used the hydro fleshing its a total way to remove fat..unless youve tried it you cant say otherwise once ya do, ya wont do it any otherway........
Myself yep tan it just had to point out the fact there is a DP'd bear out there that aint sour,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thank you all

This response submitted by Crystal on 11/10/04 at 11:58 AM. ( ) 66.190.126.145

Thank you all for your input I think I will talk him into tanning it first any suggestion on what kind of tanner to use?

bear mount

This response submitted by Jordan on 11/10/04 at 3:09 PM. ( ) 24.255.124.23

I am a BIG fan of dry preserve with small game,birds and some big game,but with a thick greasy hide like bear,you really do need to tan it.Lutan F is an excellent tan that I use for all my mounts,rugs,and wall hangings.Also degreasing is not optional with bear.You MUST degrease bear skin.You also should thin the skin as much as possible,without cuting through the hair follicles[obviously]If the bear is prime,the hair follicles shouldnt give you too much trouble.If its a summer killed bear,you have to be a bit more carefull.By the way,I have mounted wild boar heads with dry preserve with good results,but I would definately tan a bear.Plus if you tan it,it wont stink like rotting lard for two months! :P

The tanner

This response submitted by Dry mountian tanning on 11/14/04 at 10:07 PM. ( ) 4.227.136.71

If you want the best results you should eather go with jeff craig or jerry ross, because they are the best and they know what they are doing.

I am late on this 1

This response submitted by Ray on 11/15/04 at 9:07 PM. ( hunterray2002@yahoo.com ) 4.23.224.130

I hate to be late on this 1 but damn i am still gonna say this. I have been learning alot of my skills from an awesome taxidermist in Pa. thats been useing dp for 30 years and has turkey. deer, caribu, and 2 full body mount bear, blk bear. and they are totaly awesome. Alot of the dp trick all truely depends on how good you shave your hides down. ..Nuff said. Ray

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu