Anyone else not able to get to their website from nuttyhost

Submitted by Doug Bridges on 11/10/04 at 10:49 AM. ( doug@ddtaxidermy.com ) 12.40.253.98

Has nuttyhost.com's web servers crashed? Any information or has anyone talked to Jason?

Doug

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

?

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 11/10/04 at 11:07 AM. ( Eagle93245@yahoo.com ) 63.86.173.145

My site has been down for a couple of days. I have tried emailing Jason with no response back. I am not sure if his server is down or if he was hit with yet another virus. Kinda sucks though, right in the middle of deer season and I get business off that site. Either way, I hope it gets back online soon.

Doug,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 11/10/04 at 11:12 AM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 68.238.7.39

I just called Jason after checking links in the taxidermists' directories.

Someone had opened up an e-mail with a My_Doom variant in it that took out the server.

Jason said that the server was supposed to be down for only six to twelve hours before they got the problem fixed. The hosting server company is now well over the time frame they claimed it would take to be up and running.

Jason said he would come in and make a post as soon as he knew anything.

I might make a warning here, the e-mail text is something to the effect of the recipient has won a prize from PayPal, or their PayPal account has been charged for X amount of dollars. Take that as a heads up.

Jeanette,

This response submitted by Glen on 11/10/04 at 11:13 AM. ( ) 68.238.7.39

I think Jason had just said 36 hours down time at this point.

Thanks

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 11/10/04 at 11:18 AM. ( ) 12.40.253.98

Thanks for the heads up Glen.
Doug

Another forewarning,

This response submitted by Glen on 11/10/04 at 11:26 AM. ( ) 68.238.7.39

"IF" the hosting company can not do a complete "fix", where everything comes back up online, Jason may have to upload ALL the websites again. He's sweatin'.

As far as I know, his sole income is from website oriented efforts, which includes a few of his own for internet sales. Like I said, he's sweatin'.

Again, he'll make a post as soon as he knows something.

Thanks Glen

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 11/10/04 at 11:32 AM. ( ) 63.86.173.145

Thank you for the update. I hope that he doesn't sweat too much, it is cold up there and he could catch a cold!

On a lighter note, I got me a new filly! I'm doing taxidermy trade work for a guy in exchange for the cutie. She's Doc Bar bred and is an awesome buttermilk bucksin. No white on her except for a snip. She's coming 2 in the spring. I hate her registered name though- Dry Sparkle Star. That bites! I need to ask AQHA if I can get that fixed! I'll send you a pictue when she's not covered in mud.

Maybe by the time you get the mud off

This response submitted by Glen on 11/10/04 at 11:52 AM. ( ) 68.238.7.39

my e-mail account will be functional again!

One thing I have learned about computers, programs, and programmers....believe it when you see it!

Thanks Glen and Here's the update.

This response submitted by Jason on 11/10/04 at 12:20 PM. ( (not working right now) Call Me :) ) 24.118.255.164

Hi,
Yes, we were hit by the new worm virus that has hit the net in record time. The server was compromised and it is now being restored. I expect to see things back up by 5pm CST, but I cannot guarantee it, all traces of the virus must be removed and after restoration, and who is to say that someone else will not open the virus again from an email. I do hope that everyone in the world will not open unknown emails containing these viruses. Do not open the emails that say "hi" "hello" "your password" "Paypal transaction complete for $175" DO NOT OPEN THESE.
Once one of these viruses lets loose, it go throughout the entire network and wreaks havoc. So, be careful what you open in your email.
I can only say I am sorry for the sites being down and that I am in constant contact with the tech's working on it to restore it back as fast as possible. I want my clients to know that even though we maintain updated virus definitions and security, we are just as vulnerable as the next host to get viruses that are created so fast like the one that hit us. My toll free number is 866-364-2762, but I basically can only tell you what I have written here.
Best regards, Jason

No wonder Jason

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/10/04 at 1:54 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

My email to you the other day bounced right back to me. Hey I lived 7 years without a website, I think my business can withstand another 36 hours without going bankrupt. LOL.

We know you get it fixed Jason, because you DA MAN.

LATEST!

This response submitted by JASON on 11/10/04 at 2:12 PM. ( ) 24.118.255.164

Here is the latest headlines!

I have been told that it is getting close and I will be able to get you guys back up. It will take me a few hours to re-create all your control panels, but no info was lost as far as I can tell. I hope not, but I am unsure at this time until I get into my own email system. I want you all to know that I keep all your pics, folders and files on disc as well, so we can always update to at least the last disc I created, which is every 2 weeks. You may get a new email with your control panel user and password, but it will be the same as before, if not, I will let you know. Jason

Evelyn

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 11/10/04 at 2:24 PM. ( ddtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 12.40.253.98

Evelyn,

Jean Roll just came into the 21st century and got a computer. I showed her your web site and she was all geeked. Maybe you could send her an email jeanmroll@tds.net is her address.

Doug

I'm confused...

This response submitted by marty on 11/10/04 at 4:41 PM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

How does somebody open an email on a server? Isn't the server protected? Apparently the server is being used as a functional computer also? I'm lost...

Server

This response submitted by Jason on 11/10/04 at 5:35 PM. ( ) 24.118.255.164

The server is the primary "holder" of all the files for a website. A website is basically a folder like the ones you have on your computer. When someone sends an email to the server it either bounces back to the sender as undeliverable, or stays in a queue waiting for the server to respond. I am assuming there will be some loss of emails due to this and for me as well, hopefully they will read that there email did not go through and resend again. Hope this helps... and Jeanette.. did you like that one site I did for Sage Mountain?
Jason

Don't be confused Marty

This response submitted by David Patton on 11/10/04 at 5:36 PM. ( ) 12.2.142.7

The My_doom worm is activated by a hyperlink embedded in the message from a fake Pay Pal account. When you click on the hyperlink it goes straight to the server. And it copies itself into every address that it can reach within the system.

Watch out. So far my McAfee Virus scan has protected me from every thing that has come down the pike... so far.

David

David...

This response submitted by marty on 11/10/04 at 5:53 PM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

So when you click on the link it routes you to a server that contains the "My_doom" Worm. And then it is downloaded onto the users computer (infects) - correct? How does the worm get on Jason's (host) server if there are no users to open any files? It's just a big storage cabinet holding files - when and where does the worm get released onto the host server? Isn't there a firewall being used and anti-virus stuff located/used on the host server? I'm still not grasping when/how an email gets opened and releases a virus/worm on a server when there are no users to open the bad file?

Still confused...

Jason

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 11/10/04 at 6:06 PM. ( ) 63.86.173.189

I love the Sage Mountain page you have sofar! I have some pictures in the mail for you! Thanks for working so hard to get this fixed for us! You really are appriciated by all!

Virus and update

This response submitted by Jason on 11/10/04 at 6:51 PM. ( ) 24.118.255.164

Marty,
You typically can view your email on the server if you so wish, it will remain there until you tell it to send it elsewhere, like another email address. How the virus spreads a thread or string and opens on its own is generally done by the curious user. Zip files can contain these as well. A user opens it and somehow they go right to where the can cause the damage. That's about all I know about it and I wish the hackers would quit these games. David hit the mark about hyperlinks. Normally, I receive about 400 emails a day. 1/2 are spam and a 1/4 of those have attached files for me to open with stupid file names that you have no idea what it is...like "your_prize.zip" would be a good name. You get curious and open it, then 'boing' the thing is let loose to do whatever its purpose is. Sometimes it's a harmless cookie that gets placed in your memory on your computer which will, perhaps, pop up an ad down the road when you search for a similarly themed query. So watch out what you are opening. If you really won a prize, don't ya think they would talk to you on the phone at least or send a snail mail confirmation?

Jeanette, thanks, I'll be looking for the stuff. It's pretty sharp lookin' ain't it?

Update on sites...
Well, it looks like it might be tomorrow. The techs are working on it all night to have it done, so we can only go that fast. With all the sites I have done, we certainly take up a lot of space. The last I looked, I think it was like 14GB. That is probably more than some of my clients have on their hardrive, but it's not a whole bunch either. I appreciate all you clients too for having the patience with me and thank you for hanging in there. Most all of you that have been with me over a year have stayed in the program and I an glad it is working for you all. I was thinking I should charge a comission, HA! LMAO
Jason

Jason

This response submitted by - on 11/11/04 at 8:11 AM. ( ) 216.144.58.78

Little bit of web server / it / is knowledge here:

-- Get a *NIX Server! -- Most hosting companies worth their salt will offer these. WAY more secure and immune to .win viruses. All these common bugs will take out a .win server any day. With *nix, you have none of these problems. Get BSD. Y'know, Macs make good servers too, but have no experience w/them, just know that they make good servers, prolly because they are *nix based.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu