Strange things in the woods!

Submitted by Rick Carter on 11/10/04 at 7:56 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.202

A few days ago Jimmy posted "No joke, read what I shared this mornings hunt with..." It was a great post about him spotting a monkey in the woods. I would like to see some more tales about interesting encounters from hunting adventures. When I lived in Virginia there was a guy that got real spooked when we passed through a graveyard on the way to the woods. If we started talking crap he would go back and sit in the car! Who else has encountered a strange situation while hunting?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I seem to remember

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/10/04 at 8:15 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.207

Wayne Cooper of Flex Eyes saying something about passing through a cemetery far from home and seeing a gravestone with his name on it! Anyone else know who this story goes?

While deer hunting,

This response submitted by Richard C on 11/10/04 at 8:18 PM. ( ) 67.241.174.89

While deer hunting near Waverly, Tennessee years ago, ( I know a Yankee hunting in Redneck territory), I was on a ground stand on a side hill on the edge of one of those "hollow" areas. I spot a large thing moving quite a ways down. It turned out to be a LARGE German Shepard. I watched as he came right up the side hill and sat down aside me for quite a while . I even shared my sandwich with him.
Then he just got up and left. That trip was the last time we tried to beat the train to the RR crossing, we just made it. Not being used to train crossings, they go FAST.

Went boar hunting, we were way out in the Fles. refuge

This response submitted by JOhn C on 11/10/04 at 8:40 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

It was way before daylight, we stubbled onto a huge herd of wild hogs.
My cousin says quit climb a tree.
I did fell asleep while in the tree, slid down, daylight rolled around, I woke up everyone else was LOL I was on the ground and hogs all over the plce hugging this tree.

Later that day the dogs strung a boar out and and Milton one of my cousins handed me a knife and said "KILL IT"

Yea right never having seen that done before. Milton killed it and of course I remained the LOL of the hunt.

Went out hog hunting with Grandpa, he had the pistol the dogs killed a catahoula and a black and tan, Grandpa did not have a shot. the hog charged at me, now I was 12/13 years old. Grandpa said hit it across the nose. I could have knock a baseball out of any major league ball park with that swing, the hog turn rearup and died.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Out hog hunting with Grannies Sisters Husband, "Uncle Rex" always had big black walking horses, we had run some hogs into and old barn, I dismounted my horse and was trying to drive the hogs toward him. There happened to be a big wooden gate there next to the corner, just I as I hit the corner, I heard a hog scream and he jumped out.
That gate was 5 feet tall, I was so scared I jumped that gate flat footed!
=====================================================================
Back in about 1972, I was out spotlighting with my cousins Milton and Hairy (yes thats spelled right, he can grow a full beard in three days) anyhow in this little red Datsun truck, we had shot a bed load of deer driving are Eureka Springs AR. We were headed home on HWY23 pulled up to the stop light, small grade uphill, heard something in the back and a doe was standing up, Hairy told Milton shoot that deer again. I thought it would be when we were out of town. Hell no Milton jumps out with a 357 and shot the deer in the head. Problem was we were 45 minuutes from home.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OUt on Buffalo River around 1972/73 just after the Park took it over, again with Milton. We had a stringer full of red horse and a few smallmouth bass and even a largemouth.

Good ole MIlton said if the game warden shows up, just drop everything and run like hell down river.

Heard some shuffling behind us a hour or so later, sure enough the Warden Fred Bell. I take of running get about 300 yards down the river and Fred tackles me. Now how this old man caught me I never figured out, but he did!

As we both got up, he ask
"Why did you run?"
"I dont know I just thought I should."
"Where is your license?"
I show him my license. "Why and the *&(*&)(%(%( hell did you run, your license is good!"

About that time I hear Milton's truck fireup and out of there he goes running and gunning like a moonshiner on the run.

The fine was $18.00 or so for the fleeing fine back then.
It took me a week to find Milton and get my fishing gear back.

Brain Harness and I use to duck hunt the creeks, if there was snow or ice on the ground we were gone. We did not have to call the other one, we were on the way.

While walking the Buffalo River, many holes were frozen over. I spotted a Young Coon going back in a brush pile. I reachup in there drag the coon out and tossed him into the rapids.
Grabbed some sticks and drowned the coon.
Put it in my backpack, well about 10 minutes later the coon woke up.
I dont know who was more scared the coon or me. One of us was in deep trouble and I dont think it was the coon.
I managed to finally get a stick across its neck and rocks on the stick. 2 hours later the coon was still there, DEAD!
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Wehn I was living in Kansas I was doing fish for several other taxidermist. I hauled a huge load to one near the Nebraska border.

Coming back I saw this tiny Bob Kitten beside the road, I slowed down and he still jumped into the truck, I look back, I had hit him. So I walked back, looked at the cat, picked it up, a car passed. The cat woke up! It was like having a skill saw turned on and trying to juggle it, I would sling my arm trying to ditch it amd it wopuld hang on with one claw. The more I tried to sling the cat away, the more claws he would hang in me. Hey one of us needed some rest here!

Finally he turned loose. You should have seen the ladies at the Alco in Abilene KS, I walked in bloody, dripping for paper towels and peroxide.

Lesson learned, its a dead animal if I pick it up!

I could tell you about an famous Taxidermist on a January duck hunt years back. We were with some heavy hunters, nothing could fly past that wall of lead, whole flocks were falling that frozen day. Somewhere around -10F, a single Woody drake barrels in, the taxidermist double pope it, fine shot, he was proud of it, he ran to get the duck. Trouble was Brian had settled to his knees in the rice paddy, down his goes, filling his frigid chest wadders with water that was even colder. Needless to say about 30 minutes later we called the hunt, I can still see Brian shaking and hear his teeth chattering to this day.

Anthony ask him about this!

Bird story

This response submitted by wetnwild on 11/10/04 at 8:44 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Me and a pal wer duck hunting on some private property in RI. We were laying up against a bank that overlooked a pond if you peeked over the edge. we took cover in some corn stalks, and were calling the ducks in. When we had a nice flock of about 6 mallards come in for a landing we stood up and shot. Just as the ducks fell, we started to look up over the blind bank to se where they landed, and low and behold we had the crap scared out of us. all of a sudden about 6 wooping cranes with wingspans of about 8-10 feet, flew up about 6 feet away from us over the embankment. If you've never seen one of them they are very, very impressive. W#as about the last thing we expected seeing popping up in front of our eyes from such a short distance away. very scary in person!

LOL John...

This response submitted by Gordon on 11/10/04 at 8:56 PM. ( ) 142.177.7.180

That skill saw cat, real funny. LOL

check this one

This response submitted by Joe on 11/10/04 at 9:17 PM. ( pirateman@adelphia.net ) 69.171.247.195

Went hunting with my buddy Chris Baker....didn't see a damn deer the whole morning. So we are walking back to the truck and low and behold a nice 6 pointer in the rut comes moseying towards us. I of course didn't see it but ol' Chris pops him with a 30/30 and the thing falls over dead as a door nail. We bound over there so see his rack and see where he is shot. Not a bullet hole one! We figured he dropped dead of a heart attack. No sweaty da....we load him into the truck and see a drop of blood drip out of his nose! So we get home and bust out the tin snips and we found the bullet in his brain....
Yes the bullet went right up his nostril. One hell of a shot!

One thing's for sure on this site

This response submitted by George on 11/10/04 at 9:20 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.135

The first liar doesn't stand a chance.

No Bull (no pun intended)

This response submitted by Joe on 11/10/04 at 9:30 PM. ( pirateman@adelphia.net ) 69.171.247.195

Went hunting a couple years ago here in Colorado with a drunken bunch o' rednecks. We get up early to sit on the edges of open fields and wait for our prey. Well just at the crack of dawn we hear one shot. We all just sat and waited til light...to find out who shot what.
We eventually all make it back to camp and everyone was asking who took that shot? One ol' drunk stands up and said he took a "motion shot" at something he saw moving near his position. Another ol' drunken guy says...."hey dumbass that was me taking a piss!" An ass-kicking ensued as we all watched NOT even trying to break it up. I guess that was a hard lesson to learn but I'll bet a million bucks he thinks twice about a "motion shot" again.

My cousin and his roomate

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/10/04 at 10:04 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.207

My cousin ended up sleeping in the opening day of deer season but his roomate when hunting. When my cousin finally got out of bed he went out outside to get mail out of the mail box. On his way he comes across a big 10 pt. buck dead a doornail laying in the yard. Apparently it had been mortally wounded and dropped dead in the yard. He was going to tag it but decided to be a nice guy let his roomate do it when he came back home.

My dad went hunting without me with the birdog one day. Anyway, I happen to look outside the window and there is a nice cock pheasant just walking around in the dog kennel!

One day we had quit pheasant huning when I lived in Massachusetts. We had just unloaded the guns and put everything away in the back of the station wagon and suddenly a cock pheasant flushes out of a bush next to the vehicle. We didn't have a dog at that time. Of course we hadn't seen one all day!

yellow belly chicken goat

This response submitted by charles on 11/10/04 at 10:13 PM. ( ) 207.69.139.142

yep you should see one of them baby's in the woods scary ass animal.Goerge you ever seen one man their ugly as up north noy quit that ugly though.

When Nature Called

This response submitted by Jerry on 11/10/04 at 10:19 PM. ( ) 69.169.232.143

I had just settled down to answer the call of nature about a mile from the road, when another hunter came walking down the trail toward me. A LADY hunter! I didn't need to wear red that day.

Another Call of Nature story (a true one)

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 11/10/04 at 11:13 PM. ( ) 64.91.28.227

A friend of ours was deer hunting a few years ago when he needed to relieve himself of the morning coffee. He said he was 'in the process' when he heard a noise. He looked to see what made the noise and saw a short deer. He said it was pretty normal in body size, but very short-legged. Anyone hear of dwarfism in whitetails?

Being followed

This response submitted by Ron on 11/10/04 at 11:20 PM. ( ) 205.231.189.161

Had a customer tell me he was walking out of the woods one evening right at dark and he could here something walking behind him. Needless to say he got a little quicker with his steps but it kept coming. He finally came out on the road where it was still a little light when out of the woods behind him comes an emu. Followed him all the way to his truck.

Saw something weird on the Hwy once.

This response submitted by John on 11/11/04 at 12:06 AM. ( JAKE2824@aol.com ) 64.12.116.198

We were going to Montana and as usuall we look on the tops of the vehicles going the other way to see the critters tied to the tops of them to see who was succesfull. We saw something on top of a stationwaogon, a mid 70s model,that I wouldnt believe it if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes, but they had a large GERMAN SHEPARD tied to the top! Family pet must have died while they were on vacation. Had a good laugh when we saw that one. John

John sure it wasn't one of those idiots

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/11/04 at 5:28 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.193

that couldn't tell a German Shepard from a coyote? LOL

Cecil could be right

This response submitted by Vicki Chritton-Myers on 11/11/04 at 8:54 AM. ( ) 64.91.28.227

Reminds me of a story the Conservation guy told me (another true story). Some 'city guy' tagged a goat during deer season one year. When he checked it in, the agent on duty didn't tell him it was a goat. He figured if the guy couldn't tell the difference between a goat and a whitetail, he NEEDED to go home! LOL!

Vicki

This response submitted by Becky P on 11/11/04 at 9:04 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

I had a guy bring in a house cat that he shot. He thought it was some kind of "wild"cat. It was even declawed.
Also heard of someone shooting a horse and tagging it as a moose.

Bit by a beaver

This response submitted by Mike on 11/11/04 at 11:44 AM. ( ) 205.213.240.8

Dad had trapped a beaver and I believe that it was alive, so he attempted to drown it. He carried it out and set it down to load the truck, when he picked it up to swing it in, the beaver bit his leg.

As a kid, Dad caught a snowshoe hare during a deer drive, before he could carry a gun. There was no snow, but the hares were turning,so he could pick one out. He carried it out of the drive by the hind legs and told the others, but the hare appeared dead. He set it on the ground and while they were talking, the hare ran off.

My claim to fame is to have shot 2 swallows in flight with a Daisy BB gun. The second was witnessed by my brother, who had just said,"There's no way you're going to hit that." And after which he said,"Give me that gun." So he could try.

I shot a deer once, when I first used a bow, almost straight down from my tree. The deer ran off, and then crashed and fell in a nearby clearcut, in sight. It then got up and struggled to run off. I tracked the deer and found it lying with an arrow in its back. I pulled the arrow out with very little effort. I gutted the deer and there was no internal bleeding. I could not figure out how the deer died. We skinned it later and found the left hind femur was broke and was in three pieces. The hind quarter was totally blood shot. Since I had watched the deer walking before the shot, what must have happened is that the arrow wound near the spine somehow affected the deer's balance, and as it ran off, it broke its leg. The deer died from a broken leg.

friendly dog

This response submitted by mikeD on 11/11/04 at 4:42 PM. ( ) 64.233.135.63

A friend and I were rabbit hunting one day. The old bitch dog (beagle) that we were using happened to be in heat that day. Well my friend got tired of walking and sat down on a stump to rest a bit. That old dog walked up to him, backed up between his legs and "cocked" her tail to the side for "inspection"! LOL It was hilarious.

One night while coon hunting, my ole dog treed a young coon. We tied the old dog up and shot the coon out for a young pup that we were also hunting. Instead of killing the coon, that young pup started "hunching" it! Another funny one. LOL

Shot and killed several birds with a sling shot and green plums for ammo when I was a kid.

Grey Squirel

This response submitted by Jack F on 11/11/04 at 7:59 PM. ( ) 12.152.154.50

I was out hunting small game quirels and rabbits with my father one sat. I must have been about 13-14. I had shot a couple rabbits and a squirel. I shot a rabbit and threw it in my game pouch and kept walking. After a few minutes I felt something move in the game pouch. I figured it was the rabbit kicking. Well it wasn't it was the GD grey Squirel. When I stuck my hand in that pouch I felt the most gut felt pain ever in my life this squirel grabbed my thumb and bit clean through the bone. I blead like a stuck pig. We tryed everything to get this thing off my hand. We finally found a spring run and drown the thing. My father still laughs his butt off about that. Me on the other hand I run to get a gun to kill every last squirel I see LOL. Oh yeah, my arm swelled up the size of a basket ball and I almost lost my thumb. Those things are dangerous critters LMAO. It is true but I do laugh about it myself.

Cow

This response submitted by Tom on 11/11/04 at 9:01 PM. ( ) 207.19.167.251

A few years back we were fox hunting and made a push through a thicket and up jumps a big cow. The thing ran at least a half mile across a field to another little woods. The thing was as wild as a deer and man could the thing run, I couldn't believe it. We asked every farmer we knew around the area if they were missing a cow and no one was, who knows were it came from or how long it had been loose.

Sat night trapper

This response submitted by Robert on 11/11/04 at 11:54 PM. ( ) 24.72.132.121

My mom's cousin went bear hunting, He seen a bear poke his head out over a log, he shoots, it drops, the head comes back up, he shoots again, this happens 5 times. He finaly walks over to the log and finds 5 dead bears.

Jack

This response submitted by Jordan on 11/12/04 at 11:50 AM. ( ) 24.255.124.23

Thats a funny story.Your lucky you didnt lose your thumb ,cause you cant hold things without your thumb.Theyr nasty little things if you really make them mad!LOL

bigfeet

This response submitted by Seth on 12/8/04 at 5:43 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

i ate some rice

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu