Mabe this will help some of ya'll.

Submitted by John C on 11/15/04 at 12:45 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

How to stay safe on line.

It is an unfortunate fact of life these days, that the internet is not as safe as we would wish. Not only must we protect ourselves against viruses which can destroy everything we have on our computers, but also against nasty little tracking devices which attach themselves to our computers so others can know where we go, what sites we visit each and every day, and more.
Computer geeks are very adept at invading our privacy without our knowledge. It is up to us to try to keep our computers and ourselves protected against such invasions.
Here are some things you should be aware of and also do VERY regularly.

1. Make sure you update Windows regularly when new patches are available.

2. Make sure you have a good Firewall on your pc.

3. Download Adaware and Spybot which are spyware detectors and RUN THEM DAILY. Get a virus detector and run it often also. I use AVG. They are Free and worth their weight in gold! Make sure you install their updates when available.

4. Try System Pro Cleaner and run it several times a week.

5. Clean out your files and cookies several times a week. Do this from "Tools" (top of your screen) then "Internet Options" then "Delete Files" and "Delete Cookies"

6. Run Scan Disc and Defrag at least once per week. Find them from "My Computer" then "Programs" then "Accessories" then "System Tools" (Might be slightly different in some pc's)

7. Clean out your Prefetch File...Open Windows Explorer from your desktop. Go to "My Computer" then "Local Disc C" then click on WINDOWS. Then scroll down to Prefetch. If you have not cleaned this out regularly, you might find thousands of dead files in there. Cleaners do not clean this out. You must do it manually and regularly. Click on Prefetch. Then click on Edit (top of screen) click "select all" then click on "file" (top of screen) then click on delete.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Never heard of #7 John...

This response submitted by marty on 11/15/04 at 9:07 AM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

I'll have to check it out.

My opinion though on #5 would be slightly different. You don't want to regularly zap your temporary internet files as these are useful to keep (to speed up download times). Instead, just bump the time frame (# of days saved) and let the machine auto zap them. Or just manually pick and choose which ones you wish to delete...

One more . . .

This response submitted by Jerry S. on 11/15/04 at 3:24 PM. ( jds@jerrystringer.net ) 216.62.85.64

#8. Buy a Mac! ;^)

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Jerry S.

Hmmmmmmm

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 11/15/04 at 8:48 PM. ( ) 24.237.154.106

Not sure about #7 either, I took a look and it seems as tho some of those files may belong to something. I don't have all that many in there, so I think I'll leave it alone :)

Wolfie

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu